• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assume

King Phenomenon

Why do people take an angry stance when someome says being gay is a choice? Did I ever say it was a bad choice? Nope! Who knows maybe it isnt a choice maybe it is. well probably never know the way people bicker bout something so stupid. Actually I never even said it was a choice and people still get crazy. Just mulling this debate over is all.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do people take an angry stance when someome says being gay is a choice? Did I ever say it was a bad choice? Nope! Who knows maybe it isnt a choice maybe it is. well probably never know the way people bicker bout something so stupid.

We can and do know that sexual orientation and identity are not choices. Ask any Christian who has attended a pray-away-the-gay event if his sexual appetites are by choice. Ask any self-loathing homosexual.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Because the vast majority of people who say that its a choice do believe its a bad choice, and they treat their LGBT neighbors like absolute crap over it. They demand that the world conform to their standards. "You could do it if you tried." No, they can't, and furthermore, why should they want to?

I'm sure its also very frustrating to be told that some way you are is a choice, that you really have no control over. "Its your choice to have diabetes. Its your choice to have bipolar. Its your choice to have been born a genius." Being LGBT is the way a person was born; its wired into their very being. Its not like choosing to wear jeans instead of slacks.

MikeF

Premium Member
Why do people take an angry stance when someome says being gay is a choice? Did I ever say it was a bad choice? Nope! Who knows maybe it isnt a choice maybe it is. well probably never know the way people bicker bout something so stupid. Actually I never even said it was a choice and people still get crazy. Just mulling this debate over is all.

I'm curious if this thread is a reaction to the responses in your "Gentics?" thread.

You did say in your initial post "It looks like its (peoples sex orientation) a choice for straight as well as gay people." To support your argument, you stated that if sexual orientation was genetic, you would be attracted to feminine (in behavior/appearance?) men as well as women, you being straight.

As you posted in a debate forum, it seems appropriate to me that others would challenge and counter your conclusions if they felt your reasoning did not support your conclusion, or felt our prevailing understanding of the issue did not support your conclusion.

Do you agree that you invited discussion and debate over your statement? I would not call that bickering, and I certainly do not consider the subject stupid.

In my opinion.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Because the vast majority of people who say that its a choice do believe its a bad choice
When they would phrase it that way "I believe it's a bad choice" then it would not be that bad, but usually they claim it's a bad choice, as God said so

They demand that the world conform to their standards
Yes, calling in the "Big Boss", God, as their witness to confirm their self created claim

"You could do it if you tried." No, they can't, and furthermore, why should they want to?
Such a crap. I happen to like women, and no way it's possible I like man in that way...just impossible

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
and they treat their LGBT neighbors like absolute crap over it
100% true
a) Disrespect other's choice...even though they claim it's their choice...such an irony
b) Belittle the other over his/her choice...this happens all the time
So, indeed you are right, sadly this is a fact "they treat their LGBT usually like absolute crap over it"

Yerda

Veteran Member
Well, does it feel like you choose who you're attracted to?

King Phenomenon

The "homosexuality is sinful" crowd often say that it is a choice because they can't justify bigotry if it isn't.
i think judging a situation is different than judging a person. If i say i dont like lifting weights. Am i judging weight lifting or the weightlifter? Its really not a big deal. Weve made it a big deal.

Yerda

Veteran Member
i think judging a situation is different than judging a person.
I agree.

Moon said:
If i say i dont like lifting weights. Am i judging weight lifting or the weightlifter? Its really not a big deal. Weve made it a big deal.
I don't think that they're saying they don't enjoy homosexual sex. They wish it to be the case that people choose their sexual orientation or whatever. Because if they don't then God made them that way - by their own account. They are judging and they use the idea of choice to cover the contradiction in their worldview.

King Phenomenon

I agree.

I don't think that they're saying they don't enjoy homosexual sex. They wish it to be the case that people choose their sexual orientation or whatever. Because if they don't then God made them that way - by their own account. They are judging and they use the idea of choice to cover the contradiction in their worldview.
maybe

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Are you gay? If you are, then great. You can speak intelligently on the topic.

If you're not, then you have never experienced what being gay is, therefore, you have no perspective to present an intelligent argument on the topic.

Truth in love

A lot of research has shown a small generic factor in people identifying as gay.

Traumatic childhood experiences look to be a major factor. (We do need more research on this).

Likely some cultural factors also.

peope have limited control over their feels. They can choose their actions.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I can't say I've put much thought into the question myself. I don't know if it's nature or nurture, though I find it difficult to fathom how being gay could be a choice. But even if it was a choice, it wouldn't make any difference in terms of human rights and their rights as citizens.