• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

asked a Pagan?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Gentoo said:
I might be getting two people confused or something, but I thought Margaret Murray made up a lot of the stuff she wrote on witchcraft...

That's the one!

Couldn't remember her last name.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Gentoo said:
I might be getting two people confused or something, but I thought Margaret Murray made up a lot of the stuff she wrote on witchcraft...

i've heard tell of her, and it's not been extremely positive, so i've never bothered to find out for myself lol.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
a quote from Ron Hutton in the wiki article says it all for me, to be honest.

Murray's sources in general were limited: "a few well-known works by Continental demonologists, a few tracts printed in England and quite a number of published records of Scottish witch trials. The much greater amount of unpublished evidence was absolutely ignored." (Hutton 1991)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Whilest we're on Wiki:

In three books, he studied the development of the ritual year in Britain, exploring many myths about the antiquity of festivals and practices. His book Triumph of the Moon: A history of Modern Pagan Witchcraft examined the development of Wicca and the context in which it formed. He questioned many assumptions about its development and argued that many of the claimed connections to longstanding hidden pagan traditions are questionable at best. However, he also argued for its importance as a genuine new religious movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Hutton

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Murray's sources in general were limited: "a few well-known works by Continental demonologists, a few tracts printed in England and quite a number of published records of Scottish witch trials. The much greater amount of unpublished evidence was absolutely ignored." (Hutton 1991)

That says it enough for me.

BFD_Zayl

*yawns* well im always open for questions of ye have any (i think im getting into that habit of speaking cryptically)