• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Zardoz Anything...

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Are you aware that Judaism doesn't believe in sacrifice for sins?

Welcome to RF! Please make yourself an introductory post over in the new member forum.

My, my, you ask a lot of questions!

Of course sacrifice isn't for sins, repentance is for sins!

I used to practice Messianic Judaism, But not anymore.

Yes, I see from your posts over in this thread that you are a Christian:

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...-jesus-speaking-directly-his-followers-6.html

You really ought to declare your faith in your profile.

Last edited:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
For all you Messianic Jews who lurk here, unposting and silent. Ask me anything, and I will answer as best I can. (No one other than MJ, plz, this is a DIR)

This is a D.I.R. forum!

Were did I leave my keys ?

What are frubals?

How many hairs do you have on your head?

Can You name your ribs?

New rule for my thread:

NO MORE OFF TOPIC POSTS!

At my discretion, I will report such posts to staff for deletion.

If someone wants my opinion on a non-MJ topic, I will make an "Ask Zardoz" thread somewhere else (not my DIR) for that purpose. Thank you.

EDIT: Anything to do with Messianic Judaism would be a relevant question. This is the MJ D.I.R.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
May I ask if you perform the Shabbat in the exact way a non-Messianic Jewish person would, or are there any slight variations? If so, may I ask what? :)

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
May I ask if you perform the Shabbat in the exact way a non-Messianic Jewish person would, or are there any slight variations? If so, may I ask what?

Short answer is no, my Shabbat is no different than any other Jew.

When I used to belong to a Messianic Synagogue, yes there was some things added to the service. Now I'm a member of a Reform Synagogue so nothing is there obviously and nothing is added at home either. It's mostly what I study that is different, not any prayers or mitzvot. However, I do try at all times to follow the teachings of Yeshua in everything I do... so in some ways I guess you could say that everything has a slight variation... :confused:

Shalom!

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
what literature on yeshua would you recommend I read?

Thanks!

David, I'll have to look in my library, but not one particular book jumps to mind. Almost all of them are colored by the author's particular beliefs, so most books about Yeshua involves finding the wheat among the chaff. Maybe after Shabbat I'll have something for you, but not making any promises.

Shalom

David69

Angel Of The North
Thanks Zardoz,
I usually "see" the gems amongst the rubble... and they usually have rellivence to me, even if it is only I that understands, that is important as I beleive that it is the way of yeshua and the father!
much apreciated.
God bless you!
David.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Rules of the DIR forums:

These forums are for learning and fellowship and NO DEBATING!

The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Matthew is the only one I feel comfortable quoting from, but some parts of Luke and Mark are OK. Nothing from John or Paul.

David69

Angel Of The North

I think I have found what I am looking for regarding ben Joseph and ben David, maybe they are one and it makes sense to me! would like your opinion zardoz... when you get a chance that is.
Thanks in advance!
David.
Messiah son of Joseph

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Thanks for the link David, it's bookmarked. I'll check it out soon as I can. :D

copperblade

The three Peoples who descend from Abraham each have additional blessings (in addition to Abraham's blessings), and their own path to HaShem.

Ishmael was Abraham's first-born, found in Genesis 17:

"...And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation...."

Ishmael is the father of the Northern Arabic Peoples, and from him came the Prophet Muhammad to bring G-d's blessing to Ishmael's descendants.

Edom is the descendant of Esau, the first-born of Issac. Esau gives up his birthright to Jacob, and receives this blessing in Genesis 27:

"...And Isaac his father answered and said unto him: Behold, of the fat places of the earth shall be thy dwelling, and of the dew of heaven from above; And by thy sword shalt thou live, and thou shalt serve thy brother; and it shall come to pass when thou shalt break loose, that thou shalt shake his yoke from off thy neck..."

Edom does indeed live by the sword, and establishes a great empire: Rome.

Christianity is indeed the yoke shaken off, and now Edom has it's own path to HaShem. Western civilization is the successor and inheritor of Rome, but sadly has shown the need to continue to live by the sword, and see the Jews as an enemy.

Israel (Jacob) is the younger son of Issac, and inherits the blessing of the priestly role.

I signed up just to ask you this question (although I may stick around the forums in general).

Basically I was interested in what you had already mentioned about Edomites, but this is particularly interesting: "Christianity is indeed the yoke shaken off, and now Edom has it's own path to HaShem."

What does it mean? I really don't know how to interpret what you're saying. Can you provide some kind of historical context to Christianity being shaken off, and when?

Also more generally, how does one count a person as a group of any of the above? Is it based on philosophy, faith, or family lineage?

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I signed up just to ask you this question (although I may stick around the forums in general).
Shalom and Welcome whatever brings you here! No where is quite like RF, I hope you stay.

Basically I was interested in what you had already mentioned about Edomites, but this is particularly interesting: "Christianity is indeed the yoke shaken off, and now Edom has it's own path to HaShem."

What does it mean? I really don't know how to interpret what you're saying. Can you provide some kind of historical context to Christianity being shaken off, and when?
When I refer to the yoke shaken off, I'm referring to the blessing that Isaac gave to Esau:

"...And by thy sword shalt thou live, and thou shalt serve thy brother; and it shall come to pass when thou shalt break loose, that thou shalt shake his yoke from off thy neck..."

Rome, the spiritual descendant of Esau, shakes off the yoke of Jacob, and is therefore able to destroy the Holy Temple without punishment. In the place of the Temple sacrifices, HaShem blesses Rome, and by extension, the entire Western World with a new path... Christianity.

HaShem always has a plan, when we fail.

Also more generally, how does one count a person as a group of any of the above? Is it based on philosophy, faith, or family lineage?
It's a bit more complex than that, IMHO. HaShem decreed that there would be Nations, and they would be distinct and different from each other. For Jews, it's being a People. We welcome outsiders into the People all the time, by conversion. Converts are just as much Jews as any other Jews, so it's not race. We Jews have many 'branches' or denominations who practice Judaism differently, so it's not just Faith.

It's a heritage, a culture, a People. A Nation of Priests... that's what we Jews are.
What defines other nations or people... I'm not in a position to say. They say.

copperblade

Thank you for the explanations.

It's a bit more complex than that, IMHO. HaShem decreed that there would be Nations, and they would be distinct and different from each other. For Jews, it's being a People. We welcome outsiders into the People all the time, by conversion. Converts are just as much Jews as any other Jews, so it's not race. We Jews have many 'branches' or denominations who practice Judaism differently, so it's not just Faith.

It's a heritage, a culture, a People. A Nation of Priests... that's what we Jews are.
What defines other nations or people... I'm not in a position to say. They say.

I guess part of what I'm wondering is exactly that: does your reading ever lead you to any indication of how the groupings are viewed. Will HaShem decide on the groups later, are they predefined, etc. When I think of "Nations" I realize that the entire EU can fall under one, but does it also follow that the migration to the US and Australia comprise the same? Or did they fall away from their original group, and form another group? I guess there isn't really any answer.

I was also wondering if you could mention what your personal beliefs about death and afterlife. If there's one thing that seems to hold importance across the board in religions (although not without exception) is death. A mention on your own but also other MJ views would be interesting.

David69

Angel Of The North
zardoz, whats your opinion on jesus and mary magdalene getting married and having kids?
I read one of laurence gardeners books while tracing my anscestors. is the grail king Mashiach?
Thanks