• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Zardoz Anything...

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
For all you Messianic Jews who lurk here, unposting and silent. Ask me anything, and I will answer as best I can. (No one other than MJ, plz, this is a DIR)

elisheba

Is it really so terrible to consider Yahushua as a rabbi , a high priest , a follower of The Almighty , and not part of a trinity ? Sons replace their fathers - Elohim/Elah/Allaah/El/the King of the universe - doesn't need replacing.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Exactly the most important issue facing Messianics today. One does not need to deify Yeshua to be his disciple. Follow his most important teachings, as found most purely in the Sermon on the Mount, and follow his example, even unto death as he did. He points the way, the path of this age. We must be first and foremost Jews and follow Torah which absolutely forbids the worship of Yeshua as any god as the trinitarian theology implies. Yet, at the same time, understand that same trinitarian theology is a permitted path for non-Jews. It's complex, and puts us in an awkward position to defend our beliefs yet refute the charges of idolatry yet again not damage the faith of others who are blessed by the beliefs they hold most dear. I shudder at the thought that, at the final judgment, I should be accused of causing the falling away of any of G-d's children from faith.

rojse

RF Addict
Does your username Zardoz come from the movie of the same name? If so, what's the movie about?

(Somewhat irrelevant, but I need to know.)

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
messianics are jewish flavored christians who desire to follow the OT commandments

Not always. The most accurate label for what you describe is 'Hebrew Christian' even though they also will use the term Messianic Jew sometimes.

I can't speak for every Messianic Jew, please check out Green Gaia's excellent Overview and you will see there are many forms of Messianic Jews, just as there are many denominations of Christianity and branches of Judaism.

For myself:

I am no type or flavor of Christian. I identify with Judaism first and foremost.

I do not believe in the trinity or any other incarnationist doctrine.

I believe Yeshua is one of many messianic individuals, and will not be the last one.

Hope that helps, I've said as much before but it's spread all over this forum.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
difficult to find a messianic who does not contradict the Shema
All Yehudim are messianic. One can be a descendant of Abraham and not embrace the negative aspects of modern Judaism and yet still mention a great reb like Yahushua. It is not necessary to label oneself as a messianic jew. It creates too much confusion. Although as soon as you mention him or Mohammad you are shunned.

Unfortunately, there is no other 'label' that describes me. To me it's an ongoing task to educate my fellow Jews that we MJ are not all J4J or some other Christian clones.
I came to my beliefs within the framework of Judaism, with very little outside or Christian influence. My roots are all Jewish, and I approach the one bit of Christianity that I claim as my own, from a Jewish perspective. The 'Sermon on the Mount' is all I need or want of the so-called NT.

So, I'm fairly sure the Shema means the same to me as any other Jew. Plus, I await the same Davidic Messiah. I just have a slightly different understanding of the current situation.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
(Since non-Messianics have asked questions, I shall too!)
What is your opinion on those gentiles who act like Messianic Jews (or Messianic Gentiles? lol) yet are not of Jewish origin themselves?

I heard someone once say you have to be born of Jewish roots (and another say, of the Jewish faith prior) to be a 'true MJ', but I'm not sure if the person I was talking to was correct; what is your opinion on this whole thing?

And do you think you can explain the difference between the Davidic Messiah, and the role that Jesus performed in your eyes, if he was a messiah - if so, how? :)

gwk230

I try to just use words that are in the Tanakh ( JPS ). That is why I use the term " ancient hebrew ". Jew,messianic,apologist,orthodox,etc,.. do not appear in scripture. Abraham was called " the hebrew". I believe everyone else were called children( descendants) of YisraEL ( Ya'acob). It is difficult to communicate when people keep inventing new words and change the meaning of existing words. Ancient hebrew, in practice, is the same as a follower of Abraham,Yahushua,and Mohammad. Shalom, Salaam, Peace

I rather agree with this for the most part. I have always thought it appropriate to give credit where credit is due so frubals to you. :)

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
(Since non-Messianics have asked questions, I shall too!)
What is your opinion on those gentiles who act like Messianic Jews (or Messianic Gentiles? lol) yet are not of Jewish origin themselves?

You're welcome to ask questions. I hope I can provide understandable answers. :eek:

More power to them! So long as they don't claim to be actually Jewish (unless they had a conversion) then I welcome their quest to discover the roots of their faith.

I heard someone once say you have to be born of Jewish roots (and another say, of the Jewish faith prior) to be a 'true MJ', but I'm not sure if the person I was talking to was correct; what is your opinion on this whole thing?

To really understand the whole picture, it is true one needs a complete and full understanding of Judaism. However, being born a Jew does not automatically make that so. I have seen many Gerim (converts to Judaism) who are extremely knowledgeable. If they pursue the understanding of Yeshua's teaching, I am confident they will understand as much as a born Jew.

And do you think you can explain the difference between the Davidic Messiah, and the role that Jesus performed in your eyes, if he was a messiah - if so, how? :)

As my Rebbi used to say, and it took me a long time to understand what he meant:

"Before Messiah ben David, there is Messiah ben Yosef"

Messiah ben Yosef is the Suffering Servant of Isaiah 53. Yeshua is a Messiah ben Yosef, in simple meaning of this, and there will be another Messiah ben Yosef. (I am leaving it open in my mind as to if he will be both, I don't know!)

Messiah ben David is the Messiah who brings the final peace, where all the nations beat their swords into plowshares, and learn war no more. May he come soon!

Some helpful Wiki links:

Isaiah 53 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Messiah ben Joseph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jewish messianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Evee

Always in the last place you look!

My question is this:

What makes you think Jesus is the Messiah, when we're clearly not all living in Israel with a temple and universal knowledge and love of G-d?

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Always in the last place you look!

My question is this:

What makes you think Jesus is the Messiah, when we're clearly not all living in Israel with a temple and universal knowledge and love of G-d?

Welcome!

Which Messiah is the real question! Obviously Yeshua is not the Davidic Messiah with the prophecies you allude to fulfilled. Scroll up to my post #12 in this thread and you will see my short version. I've discussed this in depth in other threads on the forum, if you're curious I can link them for you.

However, one caveat, please keep in mind that my opinions are not universal among MJ and quite likely in the minority, but not really all that small a minority (but a rather silent one).

Evee

I read the article about the Messiah ben Joseph, but I have to admit, I was surprised. Never have I come across the idea of more than one messiah and the book cited is not one I know. (This isn't surprising. My Jewish education is VERY spotty.) I'd be very interested to read your other posts, if you'd link me.

One more, if you don't mind.
Do you think Yeshua is the son of G-d? If so (I can't think of a tactful way to put this), HOW? If not, then why does the Christian Bible make him out to be?

Oh, I thought of another one.
What DO you think of the Gospels? Are they the inspired work of G-d? Do they hold truth at all?

Of course, I presume you are speaking for yourself alone, not for all messianic Jews. Two Jews, three opinions, right?

:peace:
EV

Mr Cheese

How do you deal with other Jews who dont consider Messianic Jews as real Jews?

How many letters do you use to spell the messiah's name, 4 or 5?

How do you differ from jews for Jesus?

cat_messianic.jpg

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I read the article about the Messiah ben Joseph, but I have to admit, I was surprised. Never have I come across the idea of more than one messiah and the book cited is not one I know. (This isn't surprising. My Jewish education is VERY spotty.) I'd be very interested to read your other posts, if you'd link me.
Well, on RF you will learn a lot, there's many knowledgeable people here. On Jewish/Christian topics, a good source is Ben Masada. I've participated in many of his threads, I guess this would be one of the longer ones:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/scriptural-debates/79855-replacement-theology.html

Do you think Yeshua is the son of G-d? If so (I can't think of a tactful way to put this), HOW? If not, then why does the Christian Bible make him out to be?

No, I do not. However, I feel that the Romans (Edom, Esau) needed him to be thus, and so G-d gave this faith to them, so that they'd have a path to G-d after the Temple would fall. This is the concept of the intermediary. It's involved, but I can elaborate if you need more info on this.

What DO you think of the Gospels? Are they the inspired work of G-d? Do they hold truth at all?

Parts are inspired. The Sermon on the Mount... for sure. The rest... some maybe, some not at all.

Two Jews, three opinions, right?
Absolutely....;)