• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Zardoz Anything...

Shalom to you as well. Thank you for the welcome. n__n

I was asking if you personally had any theories about who actually wrote it, and if they were influenced by Pauline and/or gnostic teachings. I'm sorry I wasn't clear before.

Shermana

Heretic

I was asking if you personally had any theories about who actually wrote it, and if they were influenced by Pauline and/or gnostic teachings. I'm sorry I wasn't clear before.

If know this is for Zardoz, but If I may say so, they very well may have been influenced not so much by "Gnostic" influence as the term is usually used, but in proto-Essene mysticism (which was roughly similar to proto-Gnostic Jewish Christianity which I believe WAS earliest Jewish Christianity). The Gospel of John's grammar and context contains many issues that are often exploited and abused by Trinitarians, but in all I believe it is nothing more than a conveying of the "Logos" as the Messiah, and we see the "Logos" mythology discussed in depth by Philo.

I would even go so far as to say that the Pauline epistles, though I may disagree with their ideas, did in fact have the same concept of Jesus as the "Logos", when grammar and context is accounted for correctly, that "Wisdom" was the first created personified being which was the Vehicle of which all creation was made through (not "by" but "through").

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member

I'm afraid I don't spend much time in study of John or Paul to develop any theories of their inspiration. My only theory is that their path was made by and for Edom (Rome) for that branch of Avraham's descendants; the branch of Esau. They share in Avraham's blessing, and this path was created for and by their nature. It's their path, and I respect it, but it's not mine, so I see no benefit in study of it. JMHO