• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask PW about her faith

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Well, plants are living beings, too. And since I am an omnivore, I prefer to make respectful use of as much of those who give up their lives to nourish me and my kind as possible. Apologizing to them for harming them, thanking them for their sacrifice on my behalf, and reminding them that I and my kind are and will someday be food for their kinds. I often offer tobacco, sage or other herbs (odd, using one spirit to thank and calm another). That's whether it's plant, animal or anything else.
That's generally where I stand too.
However, you don't need to kill a plant to use it, cotton is the fluff around the seeds and when I make my own cordage I like to use Milkweed that has already died.

It is kind of odd isn't how we use one to satisfy another... but in most traditions, that was the purpose they chose to perform, so I guess using them for such things is making them happy as well.

I tend to think that synthetics are not appropriate for ritual, although again that may just be me and my path. They're fine for everyday use, for me, although I have other reasons for avoiding some of them. Hmm. I haven't figured out how to live without some apparent hypocrisy.
Well, hypocrisy is in everyone's life... we just need to recognize it and work to limit it.
I also don't use synthetics... but I wonder sometimes why. Is it out of adherence to tradition or due to the spirit in the item itself? Can a synthetic thing even "do the job"? If my animistic self can accept that my computer or my car has a "self" why not my bag?

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
What does your faith say about the evils in the world?
The evils that humans practice on one another are generally the result of some sort of greed and thus not acting like a human being. Humanity isn't just granted by biology, but by deeds. When people forget how to be human, bad things happen.

Is Creator anthropomorphic?
Nope. But for purposes of storytelling can be.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I also don't use synthetics... but I wonder sometimes why. Is it out of adherence to tradition or due to the spirit in the item itself? Can a synthetic thing even "do the job"? If my animistic self can accept that my computer or my car has a "self" why not my bag?

wa:do[/quote]

Well, synthetic things do have spirit--every car I've ever owned has had it's own personality, certainly. I don't think it has anything to do with being "artificial." For me, however, nothing made "artificially" has ever said that it needs to be part of ritual. But maybe for other people...who knows? Maybe we shouldn't criticize "plastic," because it might be a legitimate part of someone else's path.:D

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Well, I did know one guy who was toying with "technoshaminism"/"technopaganism".

I have to admit that some of the concepts seem interesting.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Well, I did know one guy who was toying with "technoshaminism"/"technopaganism".

I have to admit that some of the concepts seem interesting.

I've heard of people of other faiths (specifically, I believe one article I read had to do with Hindu practices in India) using specific rituals to propitiate the spirits/deities of computers. Personally, I do thank my computer for working, ask it to cooperate, and make sure it gets smudged when I do the rounds in the house. I haven't had significant computer problems over the years, and my computers tend to last (knock on wood) for years beyond design expectancy. Other appliances in the house get much more cursory attention, but then, they are not as complex creatures as computers.;)

NeedingGnosisNow

super-human
Generally one is ment to walk in ballance and thankfulnes... don't take more than you need, give what you have to those that have greater need than you...
Think about the consequences of your actions not just on those living now (and not just for humans), but for seven generations beyond yourself. In other words, always place others before yourself. This is a quote from an earlier post made by painted wolf. I love this about your religion PW!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The main moral is: don't be greedy/ be mindful of others.

most of the rest branch off from there.

So... Don't tell falsehoods.
Don't butt in during conversations, let each person finish their thoughts before you comment.
Before you make a major decision, think about how it will impact future generations (don't put your needs above the needs of the future).
We are all related (humans, animals, plants, everything) we all depend on one another.
Be thankful and respectful, nothing you have is truly yours but came from someone before you and will go to someone after you. You are entrusted with it for the now.

There are more, but this gives the general idea.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
The main moral is: don't be greedy/ be mindful of others.

most of the rest branch off from there.

So... Don't tell falsehoods.
Don't butt in during conversations, let each person finish their thoughts before you comment.
Before you make a major decision, think about how it will impact future generations (don't put your needs above the needs of the future).
We are all related (humans, animals, plants, everything) we all depend on one another.
Be thankful and respectful, nothing you have is truly yours but came from someone before you and will go to someone after you. You are entrusted with it for the now.

There are more, but this gives the general idea.

I like that :)

Granddaughter(painted wolf) you have learned much from your teacher and she would be proud of you, I have read this thread and your words are good, strong and true, but there is much more to learn. The life path that we all walk is forever a learning process.

Alceste

Vagabond
If you're not sick of this topic yet, PW, I've got a question. How do you feel about non-natives practicing your religion? What's your general impression of how others in your community feel about it? I used to go to gatherings (potlucks and storytelling, mostly) in Washington and got the impression they were kind of controversial in that community because they were open to anyone.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Granddaughter(painted wolf) you have learned much from your teacher and she would be proud of you, I have read this thread and your words are good, strong and true, but there is much more to learn. The life path that we all walk is forever a learning process.
Thank you so much... I look forward to seeing where my walk takes me and what lessons await.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
If you're not sick of this topic yet, PW, I've got a question. How do you feel about non-natives practicing your religion? What's your general impression of how others in your community feel about it? I used to go to gatherings (potlucks and storytelling, mostly) in Washington and got the impression they were kind of controversial in that community because they were open to anyone.
I leave that to the elders of the nation. But there is traditional precedent... if you are willing to walk the walk and seek the respect of the elders.

What is not ok, is taking for personal gain and misrepresenting the views of the nation they claim to represent.

Each group is different and will decide what is appropriate for themselves.

If I may be permitted to add to painted wolf's answer. As an Elder of my people there are ceremonies and prayers that we will do for the public and non-native people, however the sacred ceremonies and prayers are private ceremonies and if you are not a member of that tribe you will never see or hear the prayers or ceremonies. The only way that will ever happen is if you are invited by an Elder to witness these sacred prayers and ceremonies. As far as non-natives practicing our religion, I have no objection to them trying, but understand, they will never know our sacred culture and beliefs because these are things that are private to the people.osay

Alceste

Vagabond
I leave that to the elders of the nation. But there is traditional precedent... if you are willing to walk the walk and seek the respect of the elders.

What is not ok, is taking for personal gain and misrepresenting the views of the nation they claim to represent.

Each group is different and will decide what is appropriate for themselves.

In this case, I got the impression of controversy from other non-native people attending a gathering. After I strolled into town with a friend and spent the afternoon sitting with a carver, listening to him sing us songs and tell us stories while he worked, we went back to the "church" and a couple of the guests acted like it was a big scandal. I never quite got why. OTOH, for these ladies it seemed like everything was a big scandal. Playing with a big gang of little kids when it was "my turn" to wash the dishes (unbeknowst to me) was an even bigger scandal.

Alceste

Vagabond
If I may be permitted to add to painted wolf's answer. As an Elder of my people there are ceremonies and prayers that we will do for the public and non-native people, however the sacred ceremonies and prayers are private ceremonies and if you are not a member of that tribe you will never see or hear the prayers or ceremonies. The only way that will ever happen is if you are invited by an Elder to witness these sacred prayers and ceremonies. As far as non-natives practicing our religion, I have no objection to them trying, but understand, they will never know our sacred culture and beliefs because these are things that are private to the people.osay

Sounds reasonable to me. :) I felt pretty honoured to be invited to anything at all. Being naturally inclined to shamanism when I was younger, some basic rituals I picked up at gatherings fell in quite naturally with my practice - like smudging and carrying a medicine bag - but I never really thought of what I was doing as "practicing a first nations religion". I did always wonder about the optics, though. I don't want to take anything that doesn't belong to me - given the circumstances I think it is quite reasonable if some first nations people feel that way about it. OTOH, since the culture I come from has no traditional outlet for animistic or shamanistic inclinations it is a lonely road.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
In this case, I got the impression of controversy from other non-native people attending a gathering. After I strolled into town with a friend and spent the afternoon sitting with a carver, listening to him sing us songs and tell us stories while he worked, we went back to the "church" and a couple of the guests acted like it was a big scandal. I never quite got why. OTOH, for these ladies it seemed like everything was a big scandal. Playing with a big gang of little kids when it was "my turn" to wash the dishes (unbeknowst to me) was an even bigger scandal.
As soon as we had language, we invented gossip.
Sadly some people seem to thrive on drama.

Antiochian

Rationalist
Hi Painted Wolf,

I have a small amount of Cherokee blood through my father. I'm proud of it. Of course, I don't belong to the tribe. How can I honor my Cherokee roots, and the spiritual heritage of my ancestors in an appropriate way?

Do you think our loved ones who have died can hear us when we speak to them? Do they know that we still think of and love them? Do they like it when we visit their graves and leave tokens or flowers?

In your religion, what happens to someone who lived an evil life? Is there a punishment after death?

Thank you much.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Hi Painted Wolf,

I have a small amount of Cherokee blood through my father. I'm proud of it. Of course, I don't belong to the tribe. How can I honor my Cherokee roots, and the spiritual heritage of my ancestors in an appropriate way?
I find donating to First Nations charities and advocating for indigenous rights to be among my favorites.

Keep an eye for fraud though: Charity Scams: Making Big Business Out of Native American Poverty - COLORLINES

Do you think our loved ones who have died can hear us when we speak to them? Do they know that we still think of and love them? Do they like it when we visit their graves and leave tokens or flowers?
I don't know, but I'd like to think so.

In your religion, what happens to someone who lived an evil life? Is there a punishment after death?
I never got the chance to learn much about the afterlife beliefs... just that it wasn't a heaven/hell sort of dichotomy and being a jerk in this life makes things difficult for you afterwards.

TsalagiElder would know more about this than I. :cool:

Thank you much.
Anytime!

Hi Painted Wolf,

[In your religion, what happens to someone who lived an evil life? Is there a punishment after death?]

Thank you much.

Antiochian, The Traditional Keetoowah Spirituality believes in a two tiered afterlife: the good go to a place of light and pleasantness; the bad go to a place of torture. However, it is believed that one's spirit lingers around the place of death for a period of time equivalent to the time the person had spent there. The spirit then wanders to the person's previous place of residence, staying there an equivalent period, and so on until it's wondering equals the duration of the person's earthly life. Only then does the spirit depart the earthly realm and proceed to its ultimate destination. Also during that period of time of its wondering an evil spirit is given the opportunity to redeem itself before passing on, along with prayers from its family members. The ultimate destination is to sit with your ancestors in that place a pleasantness.osay