• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Me Anything 2.0!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
How much of your worldview do you have to keep to yourself living in Egypt?

With the vast majority of people, almost all of the significant aspects of it. Even sharing my lack of belief in free will would be taboo considering that it would be conspicuously against a core belief in the two main religions in Egypt (Islam and Christianity). And of course, support for LGBT rights is also a major taboo, although both that and support for gender equality have been gaining more traction in the last several years. The internet has undoubtedly played a part in this due to the increasing exposure to information and other cultures.

I have made a smaller social circle with whom I can freely be myself. It's still hard for us in the larger society, but that usually serves as a strong incentive to form bonds and stick together more closely, if anything.

I can share my love for cats quite freely with everyone, though. I guess that's something!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
@Debater Slayer , what do you think of atheist religions and organizations like Religion of Humanity, the Sunday Assembly, Buddhism and various "left-handed" religious organizations? Now that you are not anti-religious, is it possible that you could adopt a secular, but religious worldview such as those?

I don't know anything about Religion of Humanity or the Sunday Assembly, but I don't align with secular humanism, so they wouldn't work for me if they leaned that way.

I would adopt a secularly religious worldview if I saw a reason to, but I don't see any upside to doing so that I couldn't already have without following a religion.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have 3 questions, i hope that's ok

Of course! That's why this thread exists. :D

If you could travel to any year in a time, what year would you it be and why?

Would I be able to travel back or not? That would completely change the answer.

If I could travel back to 2023, I'd probably travel to the Triassic or the Jurassic period to see the flora and fauna.

If I couldn't travel back, I'd just go back to 2022, because I really wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life anywhere but the present.

Have you ever been in love?

Yes, twice, but it didn't lead to a relationship.

What's your proudest accomplishment?

In no particular order:
  • graduating university after changing majors two years into my first one.
  • surviving conscription. (It genuinely tested my will to live.)
  • surviving my last two years in Saudi Arabia. I had become irreligious (a capital crime there) and had no support whatsoever aside from online friends.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
...but I don't see any upside to doing so that I couldn't already have without following a religion.

I must admit, I find it odd that as an admin of forum called Religious Forums you are decisively non-religious. But then again, there's a lot of members here who are completely non-religious and don't belong to any religious organization and don't believe in God either. Some of the forums most prominent members, like @Evangelicalhumanist , @ChristineM and @Revoltingest are among the top people who post here and have absolutely no religious affiliation.

I find that interesting.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you have a subjective purpose? That seems self contradictory to me.

The way I see it, any purpose that we pursue in accordance with our values, goals, and priorities is subjective, even if it is inspired by a religion or worldview that assumes said purpose is objective or ordained by a higher power. The universe itself doesn't care what we do, nor does it have a built-in plan for us. I see no problem with that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I must admit, I find it odd that as an admin of forum called Religious Forums you are decisively non-religious. But then again, there's a lot of members here who are completely non-religious and don't belong to any religious organization and don't believe in God either. Some of the forums most prominent members, like @Evangelicalhumanist , @ChristineM and @Revoltingest are among the top people who post here and have absolutely no religious affiliation.

I find that interesting.
Usually, I'm called the "noisiest", "most virulent", or "biggest loser".
But "prominent"? Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Consider that atheism itself is uninteresting.
But religion vs atheism is fascinating.
Except for Buddhism...those guys have too
little conflict with us. So they're boring.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I find that interesting.

"Religious Forums" as a title means that the forum is dedicated to discussion and debate of religious topics. It doesn't mean that members, admins or otherwise, must all be religious.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
The way I see it, any purpose that we pursue in accordance with our values, goals, and priorities is subjective, even if it is inspired by a religion or worldview that assumes said purpose is objective or ordained by a higher power. The universe itself doesn't care what we do, nor does it have a built-in plan for us. I see no problem with that.
I guess I'll never understand how this actually works for people. I have always needed a reason bigger than me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Religious Forums" as a title means that the forum is dedicated to discussion and debate of religious topics. It doesn't mean that members, admins or otherwise, must all be religious.
And really, it is just a name.
There are many other interesting topics.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I'll never understand how this actually works for people. I have always needed a reason bigger than me.

Nothing wrong with any of the above. We don't have to fully understand each other's worldviews or even like them; we just have to respect each other's freedom to live as we wish.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Nothing wrong with any of the above. We don't have to fully understand each other's worldviews or even like them; we just have to respect each other's freedom to live as we wish.

And honestly, unless what you are doing is violating someone else's ability to practice their world view autonomy, it should be okay to do whatever your world view tells you to do. Debater Slayer has just made it abundantly clear that he has no opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't like them as pets at all. Their relatively poor hygiene especially puts me off.

I had one beloved dog in my home as a child.

I had no idea what a tidy gentleman he was until I got my own dogs within the last few years...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I find that interesting.

I came to RF because the old forum i lurked in shadow banned all none north American members. I did a considerable amount of searching for somewhere new to hang my hat and RF won my adoration :rolleyes:.
I began by trying to figure out why religion had such an effect on people, i wound up learning a lot about religion but not about why it hooks people. Now I'll only get involved in religious threads if there is something that catches my interest. I still learn from that. I spend most of time on the jokes and non religious forums.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'd probably travel to the Triassic or the Jurassic period to see the flora and fauna.

That would really be interesting, just keep out of the way of allosaurus and co.

I'd just go back to 2022, because I really wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life anywhere but the present.

May your future present be just as good

Yes, twice, but it didn't lead to a relationship.

That's a shame, one day perhaps...

graduating university after changing majors two years into my first one.

Wow

surviving conscription. (It genuinely tested my will to live.)

I remember that, really hard on you, i am glad you came through it ok.

surviving my last two years in Saudi Arabia. I had become irreligious (a capital crime there) and had no support whatsoever aside from online friends.

I've been to the bible belt usa for a couple of weeks and it felt like i had a neon "ATHEIST" sign hanging around my kneck. That must have not only been difficult but so scary.

Can i ask, what religion did you leave behind?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Since you are from Egypt I am curious if it is a very hot place and if you are more resistant to heat exhaustion than Europeans? I am mostly English, Scottish and Irish; and I don't do well in heat. I can handle sunlight and can tan well, however I sweat too much and get very tired in the heat. I have found that men from Mexico seem better equipped to deal with it. What about Egyptians?