• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Any Question About the Rastafari Movement!!

linwood

What are the basic philosophical tenents of Rastfarianism?

I have no knowlegde of the religion whatosever.

Aqualung

Tasty
As I understand it, Jews beleive the Messiah is yet to come, Christians believe he came once, and Rastafarians believe he has already come the second time (in the form of some african king). Is this correct? Do you believe we are now living in the millenial reign of christ?

Ody

Correction they don't belief that Selassie (the king you mention) is christ, but is g-d himself :D Atleast from what i remeber researching on the religion

Yaah! Questions!

For linwood's question, Haile Selassie a former Emperor of Ethiopia is an extremely important figure, and Africa is the Holy Land. Wow, boiled it down to two points. Oh yeah, oppression is so not good. And our concept of hell is Babylon, and we are living in it.

Alan's question: Do you mean only black people?? In that case I would say no. But in Rastafari, whomever claims their African ancestry, no matter the skin colour, can be Rastafari.

Yes, Aqualung, that is correct to a point. Certain elements of Revelation are considered to have occured. However, the Judgment has not occurred. The coming of Selassie is often seen as a warning type event. That he came to show us what to look for, to prepare us for the Armageddon on oppression.

In some cases Selassie, is seen as Christ. The Twelve Tribes of Israel see him as such. Some see him as God (JAH), and some see him as a mixture of the two.

One Love
CanuckRasta

A

angellous_evangellous

Do Rhastafari use marajauna an element in the sacraments?

from wiki:
"There are two types of Rasta religious ceremonies. A reasoning is a simple event where the Rastas gather; smoke "ganja" (marijuana); and discuss ethical, social and religious issues. The person honored by being allowed to light the herb says a short prayer before doing so, and it is always passed in a clockwise fashion. A binghi or grounation is a holiday; the word binghi is believed to refer originally to an ancient, and now extinct, order of militant blacks in eastern Africa that vowed to end oppression. Binghis are marked by much dancing, singing, feasting and the smoking of ganja, and can last for several days."

As i am Ethiopian, I must say that Halie, is nowhere near the Christ portrayed in the New Testemant.

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/text/selassie.html

"The emperor's estate and palace were nationalized and in August, Selassie was directly accused of covering up famine of the early 1970's which killed hundreds of thousands of people."

I dont think Christ would support such an act. I think Christ would do as much as in his power to prevent such events,

Master Vigil

I know I asked this before, but I don't remember it ever being resolved. And I suppose alot of new people would like to know as well. Why do Rastas say that Haile Selassie is the like christ or god when he specifically said he wasn't?

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
well....You have lots of questions to answer, but unfortunatly, I know nothing about your religion...
But it seems like an Abrahamic one...

Can you tell me breifly the common point you have with other Abrahamic religions?
I mean, the prophet, the Angel, the Holy book...and such things

Greetings I,

EinStein, give thanks for the interest. I will give you a broad overview in a separate post.

First, yes to many Rastas marijuana is considered a sacrament. Enough that it could be considered a universal practice. Other than myself, I know only of 3 or 4 others who do not support the use of marijuana. I will point out that your excerpt from Wiki, refers to a worship service of the Nyahbinghi Order, and isnt necessarily applicable to all Rastas.

Famine is not an uncommon occurence in Ethiopia. There was famine in the days leading up to Haile Selassie's birth and his coronation. In the days of Christ, did He end war?? Did He abolish disease?? Oh and by the way, Selassie's palace could not be nationalized, it was already Haile Selassie University, Ethiopia's first university.

Master Vigil, I would like to point that his "denial" was originally spoken in Amharic. There have been issues over the translation, and from what I overstand the original has not been listened to by a native Amharic speaker.

The cute hats are generally to cover the dreads and pull them out of the way. Some idren have been growing them for decades. In one instance, his dreads are a foot longer than he is!

One
CanuckRasta

EiNsTeiN said:
well....You have lots of questions to answer, but unfortunatly, I know nothing about your religion...
But it seems like an Abrahamic one...
Can you tell me breifly the common point you have with other Abrahamic religions?
I mean, the prophet, the Angel, the Holy book...and such things
Yes, it is an Abrahamic faith. Though it can also be classified as a traditional African religion...somewhere between the two.

We have a firm basis in ancient Judeo-Christian teachings. In many respects, the teachings are identical. However, Rastafari has a very African slant to everything.

All prophets of the New and Old Testaments are recognized. Whenever possible, the Ethiopian Orthodox canon is used as the Bible text. Several members also have a deep respect for the teachings of Muhammed and Buddha.

The most important figure is Haile Selassie, the former Emperor of Ethiopia. We al;so recognize modern prophets such as the Hon. Marcus Mosiah Garvey, and even reggae singer Bob Marley in some cases.

Africa is seen as the Holy Land and the new Israel. This is as a result of the Ark of the Covenant being taken to Ethiopia (a story recounted in the Kebra Nagast, another important holy text)

I cannot say that Angels are a concept inherent to Rastafari. Many of us do not believe in death. We live on and continue the fight against oppression in the spirit world.

One
CanuckRasta

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I have two questions (or perhaps three). First, is there any spiritual significance to the dreadlocks and do all Rastafarians grow them?

Second, what's the reasoning behind calling God Jah and (I think I'm right in this, but correct me if I've misunderstood), the I and I?

Thanks.

James

JamesThePersian said:
I have two questions (or perhaps three). First, is there any spiritual significance to the dreadlocks and do all Rastafarians grow them?

Second, what's the reasoning behind calling God Jah and (I think I'm right in this, but correct me if I've misunderstood), the I and I?

Thanks.

James
There are spiritual significance to the dreadlocks, though not all Rastas have them. It is said that they bring us closer to JAH. It is also said that act as spitirtual live-wires.

In the King James Version of the Bible, there is a verse in Psalms that uses the word JAH. That is why.

About InI. There is no you, no I, only InI. All equal. I don't use it on the forum to avoid confusion.

One
CanuckRasta

Nehustan

Hi Canuck, interesting thread. I have a few things I would like you to answer if you don't mind...

1.) Does the 'sacrament' of 'grass' have anything to do with the following verse from Genesis

'And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.' (Genesis 1:12)

2.) Are dreadlocks worn as a sign of bondage under 'Babylon' during the 'tribulation'?

3.) Does the term 'I and I' refer in any way to the Hebrew 'Eheieh Asher Eheieh'?

4.) Do Rasta', and by extension Coptic Ethiopians, maintain the covenant of Abraham?

As a postscript it is great to hear that some Rasta' maintain the respect for Islam and Muhammad demonstrated by the Negus in the very early days of Islam.

Guidance