• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a nondual "person"

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Inspired by @VoidCat's Ask a nonbinary person thread. Ask me anything nondual (or about nonduality of you so wish). Keep in mind I'm only speaking from my own experience and no one else's and I don't speak on behalf of any religion or philosophy. Flood the thread with any argument you wish. I'm game. If you want to attack me or my view, I won't put you on ignore, but I will ignore you. However, I won't ignore you if you tell me I (mind and body) don't exist. I might even agree with you. ;)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there a difference between monism and nondualism?
I think so. There are different type of monism, and while there are similarities, none really fit with my brand of nondualism, which posits that the apparent plurality is a result of time/space/causation, and that they appear on the substrate of an absolute rather than appearing from a single substance.

Viker

Häxan
Inspired by @VoidCat's Ask a nonbinary person thread. Ask me anything nondual (or about nonduality of you so wish). Keep in mind I'm only speaking from my own experience and no one else's and I don't speak on behalf of any religion or philosophy. Flood the thread with any argument you wish. I'm game. If you want to attack me or my view, I won't put you on ignore, but I will ignore you. However, I won't ignore you if you tell me I (mind and body) don't exist. I might even agree with you. ;)
Happy Birthday, BTW.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think so. There are different type of monism, and while there are similarities, none really fit with my brand of nondualism, which posits that the apparent plurality is a result of time/space/causation, and that they appear on the substrate of an absolute rather than appearing from a single substance.

Yeah, I in the end get the same result.
But as always we also do it slightly different due to the apparent plurality as for individuals as per nature/nurture as a result of time/space/causation.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

:Informative:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Does this mean you do not get angry or sad?
I can't recall the last time I was angry.

As far as sadness, I don't find myself getting sad for myself, but I will occasionally find myself weeping as a result of another's suffering. It's a bit like getting caught up in the moment when you watch a tearjerker. You know you're watching a movie, and that the characters are merely actors portraying them, but you get caught in the scene and find yourself tearing up even though you know you're looking at nothing more than light reflected off a screen.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
@SalixIncendium

Is non-duality something that you have directly experienced, in a subjective sense, or is it more of a philosophical belief about the nature of reality?

If the latter, what convinces you to believe that it's accurate versus say physicalist-materialism or Dvaita?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
@SalixIncendium

Is non-duality something that you have directly experienced, in a subjective sense, or is it more of a philosophical belief about the nature of reality?

If the latter, what convinces you to believe that it's accurate versus say physicalist-materialism or Dvaita?

It's something I've experienced directly, the first time when I was in me early teens.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
The argument of determinism versus free will doesn’t really interest me.

That said, who or what is determining? ;)
Hm, so you don’t have an opinion on it? As far as who is determining? I suppose God of some sort.

I have another question; do you consider yourself a pantheist?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Hm, so you don’t have an opinion on it? As far as who is determining? I suppose God of some sort.
I do, but I just wanted to get your thoughts.

As I see it, karma is what determines events in one's life. Karma is the sum of one's deeds over lifetimes. Who is it that does the deeds?

That's where, in my opinion, the free will versus determinism falls apart. A jiva does their will, which creates karma, but they perform action as a reaction to karma. Thus continues the cycle of samsara. Cause/effect.

I have another question; do you consider yourself a pantheist?
At one point in my life I did. But then I realized that my view that God was immanent and permeating all that was in the universe was occurring in reflective consciousness, thus illusory, and that I was merely a witness to this.

I consider myself a transtheist.