• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a Christian : Do you consider yourself a Baptist?

Are you a baptist?

• Total voters

joeboonda

Hey dear brother, I can tell that you know our Lord Jesus Christ and have been reconciled to our Great God. Within baptist churches, there are different perspectives on how long children should wait after they profess Christ. I know different baptist pastors, it's a difficult subject. Again, I don't let the ordinance of baptism to define me...I think we should only be identified as Christian... a disciple or follower of our Lord Jesus Christ.

To make my point... to have all of us rethink our practices... when you professed Christ at the age of eight, would you have been baptized earlier than the age of 14 since you know now that baptism is an outward sign of the inward reality (born again at 8)? All I'm sharing is that our kids need to be baptized at a much earlier age as disciples of Jesus Christ... out of love and obedience of knowing Him.
Yes, I would have been baptised right away. My 2 sons trusted in the Lord very young, I believe 6 and 8 and were then baptised. My daughter trusted in Christ at an early age and I am trying to GET her baptised. (we had left a denomination whose doctrine-not the essentials-I could not agree with, and I have been attending a few churches in the area, all good, trying to find the one I like most and all. And my wife is hesitant to go until I find one I am certain on) Anyway having my daughter baptised is very, very important to me and I hope to get that done asap. I also believe that children can understand the Gospel and accept Christ at a very young age, that the older they get the less of them get saved, and fully believe children should accept Christ and be baptised as soon as they reach an age where they can understand it. Jesus said to let the children come to Him, of such is the Kingdom of Heaven, and unless we have childlike faith and come as a child we cannot be saved, eh? I think we are pretty much on the same page then and I welcome your prayers.
Mike

Special Revelation

Yes, I would have been baptised right away. My 2 sons trusted in the Lord very young, I believe 6 and 8 and were then baptised. My daughter trusted in Christ at an early age and I am trying to GET her baptised. (we had left a denomination whose doctrine-not the essentials-I could not agree with, and I have been attending a few churches in the area, all good, trying to find the one I like most and all. And my wife is hesitant to go until I find one I am certain on) Anyway having my daughter baptised is very, very important to me and I hope to get that done asap. I also believe that children can understand the Gospel and accept Christ at a very young age, that the older they get the less of them get saved, and fully believe children should accept Christ and be baptised as soon as they reach an age where they can understand it. Jesus said to let the children come to Him, of such is the Kingdom of Heaven, and unless we have childlike faith and come as a child we cannot be saved, eh? I think we are pretty much on the same page then and I welcome your prayers.
Mike

You see, we are very like minded in the ordinance of baptism. We have also been united to Christ as one by the grace of God through faith.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Like the Orthodox an Anglican is both baptised with water and anointed with oil, to receive the Holy Ghost.
We are very unlike a conventional Baptist.

I have nothing Against Total Immersion and I think it would be a good way for an adult Baptism ( a few Anglican congregations have been known to do it this way)

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
I am not a Baptist, but Assemblies of God. However, AG baptism practices are identical to Baptist so far as I can tell.

Captain Civic

version 2.0
I go to a Baptist church, and I was baptised in one, but I don't believe in all they do. I guess I'm closest to a Baptist; I generally just say I'm Christian.

sallieran

I used to attend a southern baptist church for 5 years with my ex girlfriend. The pastor and music minister became good friends with me and even attended my mothers Catholic funeral. As a matter of fact most of my friends are either Baptist or Catholic. I appreciate the baptist Churches stances on moral issue and the love of the Gospel and Jesus Christ. As a matter of fact, if I had to be a protestant and If I was'nt a devout Roman Catholic, I would probably be a baptist Christian. God bless,

Athanasius

That is so sweet to say. Kudos to my Catholic friend. You get a smilie face:)

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I was brought up in the Freewill Baptist church. Was Converted later on in my life to another denomination now I do not consider myself a Baptist. They were where I got my Christian roots.

When one speaks of the Baptist faith, you must realize that there are many different Baptist churches. Some practice a slightly different doctrine than others...

Freewill Baptists, Southern Baptist, Christian Baptist, Old Time Primitive Baptists, Missionary Baptists, Independent Baptist. So when you say Baptist it might help to be specific in which group of Baptists you are referring.

uu_sage

Yes and No. It depends on what you mean by Baptist.

If Baptist means that I affirm the separation of church and state, soul liberty, freedom in Biblical interpretation, the autonomy of the local church and the priesthood of all believers then yes I am a Baptist.

If Baptist means working for peace and justice, then yes, I am a Baptist.

If Baptist means following in the tradition of Martin Luther King, Jimmy Carter, Bill Moyers, Peter Gomes and Harry Emerson Fosdick, then yes I am a Baptist.

If Baptist means working for the full inclusion of all God's children in the life of the church and in society, then yes I am a Baptist.

If Baptist means working for interfaith cooperation and ecumenical outreach, then yes, I am a Baptist.

If Baptist means conforming to a narrow set of creeds and doctrines, then no I am not a Baptist.
If Baptist means endorsing a culture of homophobia, racism, sexism or religious intolerance, then no I am not a Baptist.

pwfaith

I was baptized in a Baptist church.

Me too but I do not consider myself a baptist, I left the baptist church when I went to college. We attend an inter-denominational church now. Baptist is only a denomination, I don't think it is who we are, if that makes sense. We are Christians - one body, regardless of denomination.

davidthegreek

I have nore in common with the baptist church than any other so I do consider myself a Baptist but not a member of the Baptist union. I am an independant Baptist.
I should add also that I can happily attend any protestant based church so long as the true gospel is preached there and it has not succumbed to the spirit of the age.

good luck with that one. In this day and age.

davidthegreek

I only say that I am baptist when I want to annoy an Eastern Orthodox friend.

Tell me about it. I am an orthodox too in the name at least. But I find a lot of fanaticism, in the them as well every other denomination. Too much legalism as well. That Is why I choose to stick away. Other than that, I love the christian philosophy. And yes, I think jesus probably is the saviour of mankind.