• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a Christian : Do you consider yourself a Baptist?

Are you a baptist?

• Total voters

kmkemp

I belong to a Methodist church and currently attend a Methodist church, but I really just pick a church based on how I feel about the people and preachers rather than denomination.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I have nore in common with the baptist church than any other so I do consider myself a Baptist but not a member of the Baptist union. I am an independant Baptist.
I should add also that I can happily attend any protestant based church so long as the true gospel is preached there and it has not succumbed to the spirit of the age.

joeboonda

I would have to say that Independent Baptist fits closer to what I believe in doctrine than most, although at the moment I am not attending an Independent Baptist Church as I have been mostly attending a contemporary service called "The Waystation 10:47" at Asbury Methodist Church in my town, and 'looking around' a bit. I like to go casual to church, jeans, teeshirt and some loafers, but most services around here are more formal. I was baptised in a Southern Baptist Church at age 14, but accepted Christ at age 8 when I attended a week long Children's Ministry that I am pretty sure was done by Baptists. I accepted Christ on the last possible night, with the help of my friend who gave me the courage to go forward. Anyway, I have attended a wide variety of churches in my life and most of them are "all good". My parents attend Tucson Community Church, it has contemporary music, (they rock out), and they have spread to 5 more big churches in Tucson. (wish there was one close to me in Tennessee) Anyway, except for the no drinking and no dancing rule some Baptist Churches follow, (which is not so bad, but I like a drink now and then, although I don't go dancing much these days--but sure wouldn't mind!) I think they are alright concerning doctrine. If a church teaches salvation by trust alone in Christ alone and Eternal Security, I am okay with that.
Love and Peace,
Mike

athanasius

I used to attend a southern baptist church for 5 years with my ex girlfriend. The pastor and music minister became good friends with me and even attended my mothers Catholic funeral. As a matter of fact most of my friends are either Baptist or Catholic. I appreciate the baptist Churches stances on moral issue and the love of the Gospel and Jesus Christ. As a matter of fact, if I had to be a protestant and If I was'nt a devout Roman Catholic, I would probably be a baptist Christian. God bless,

Athanasius

A

angellous_evangellous

I was baptized, educated, and ordained by baptists. It's possible that I was groomed a bit for baptist leadership. I preach in baptist churches occasionally.

I only say that I am baptist when I want to annoy an Eastern Orthodox friend.

I suppose that I can say that I am a baptist scholar, because technically I am still a member of a baptist church. I have some problems with the theological reasoning and biblical interpretation that leads to some definatively baptist practices like believer's baptism, "once saved always saved," the Lord's Supper as a memorial only, the infalliability and inerrancy of scripture, homophobia, and the exclusion of women from ministry. I don't know if I can call myself a baptist, and I may serve a baptist church if they will accept me.

joeboonda

I was baptized, educated, and ordained by baptists. It's possible that I was groomed a bit for baptist leadership. I preach in baptist churches occasionally.

I only say that I am baptist when I want to annoy an Eastern Orthodox friend.

I suppose that I can say that I am a baptist scholar, because technically I am still a member of a baptist church. I have some problems with the theological reasoning and biblical interpretation that leads to some definatively baptist practices like believer's baptism, "once saved always saved," the Lord's Supper as a memorial only, the infalliability and inerrancy of scripture, homophobia, and the exclusion of women from ministry. I don't know if I can call myself a baptist, and I may serve a baptist church if they will accept me.
I probably wouldn't hold my breath.

Special Revelation

That's an interesting question Beckysoup. Let me speak for 90% of those who answered. We are all Christians. A Christian is a disciple of Jesus Christ, enabled by the grace of God.

I'm not sure what your motive is in regards to your question. To me, this question is related to ones understanding of the ordinance or sacrament of baptism. By the grace of God, all Christians are enabled by God to obey the command to be baptized as an outward sign of the inward reality of being united to Christ by faith alone.

There are two basic views:

1. Believers Baptism - when someone professes Christ
2. Infant Baptism - when a Covenant Child is baptized as a sign of being in the covenant, household of faith, or visible church. This is not a conversion sacrament. It simply points to the promise of God to grant eternal life to the covenant child in the God's timing sometime in the future. It is similar to the practice of dedication of infants of baptist churches.

I hope this helps. I'm not sure where the LDS church falls into this discussion since you have proxy baptism (baptism for the dead), correct?

Special Revelation

This is what we believe -- yet this discussion is not about us, it is about Baptists, please stick the format of the OP and keep on the subject. If you wish to discuss the LDS, create a thread. Thanks.

Baptist is a loose term in Christian circles. By your own statement, you are Baptist too!

:)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
For a good synopsis of "official" Baptist doctrine, you can go to http://www.baptiststart.com/doctrine.htm.

I was pretty intrigued by their thoughts on "regeneration". It is close to what I believe and really, very few who profess Christianity seem to understand the "New Heart". However, in practice, they still seem to treat the New Testament Scriptures as a book of laws rather than understanding the role of our heart, grace and the Holy Spirit.

Also, the Baptists that I have known, feel that you should "Pray Jesus into your heart", and often use that as a substitute for baptism. IOW, baptism is supplanted by this doctrine which has no actual basis in scripture. Like many, many protestants, they see no problems in adding their doctrine to scripture and then teaching that doctrine as if it were from God.

MOST Christians that I know do not see this a "loose term", but as a very specific reference to a denomination and it's doctrines. Those of us who believe that denominations are anathema, find being referred to as a Baptist to be particularly offensive.

joeboonda

Also, some denominations and non-denominations teach that salvation comes from both believing and being baptised, based on about 3 verses in the Bible that tie them together. In light of all the verses that simply say that He that believes has eternal life, and the fact that in Acts, people believed and were saved, then were baptised afterward, and other things, I do not add baptism to belief for salvation, but call it a symbol of our belief and a public profession of our faith in Christ. While it is the first step in obedience as a new-born Christian believer, it is just that, and does not save anybody, for our sins were washed away by the blood of Christ. All Baptist teachings I know of teach baptism as separate from having believed on Christ for salvation. I was saved at the age of 8 and baptised at the age of 14 when I joined a Baptist Church, they also made sure before I was baptised that I understood the plan of salvation; that all have sinned, the penalty of which is death, Jesus paid the penalty by dying in our place, and if we believe in, place our trust in that, in Jesus' death and resurrection, we are saved. Before I was baptised, they also had me to pray again to be sure, asking Jesus to forgive me of my sins believing He paid for them on the cross and rose again. Since then I have been "growing in grace", oft' times failing, at times having had doubts, which lead me to dig deeper, and to a stronger faith and assurance in Christ, and the molding and shaping process goes on to this day! :)
Peace and Love,
Mike

Special Revelation

By my own statement, I am a Christian. ;)

Okay, you are a Mormon Christian. By your statement, someone might have mistaken you as an Evangelical Christian.

I am neither baptist, or padeo baptist (infant baptism). I'm simply a follower of Jesus Christ revealed in the Holy Bible alone. I was baptized as an infant in a protestant church. I was baptized as a believer in my late twenties. This is quite common for us Protestants and Roman Catholics converting to a Protestant Christianity. My three kids were baptized together, before their teens in a swimming pool by a Protestant Pastor.

The problem with believers baptism including decisional regeneration... is that baptist parents will always have their kids recite a sinners prayer at a very early age, then withhold their baptism a few years, until they see signs of fruit. This is very unbiblical because Scripture teaches that we believe and them be immediately baptized. There is no waiting period to see some fruit. Man judges the outward appearance, but God judges the heart. It's impossible for Mom and Dad to know true conversion fruit. In the book of Acts, you will see several household baptism. When the head of the house believes, everyone gets baptized (including toddlers and infants). Believers baptism is bad theology for children from Christian homes. Again, Baptist parents and Sunday School teachers make the children recite a sinners prayer and do an altar call (decisional regeneration) and tell them they accepted Jesus into their hearts. Thereafter, they hold back the ordinance of water baptism for several years until they are older. Why do we teach our baptist kids to be disobedient to believe and be baptize. To me..this is the tradition of man in a Baptist setting. BTW, I am currently attending a Baptist Church. I'm friends with the Pastor who is a Baptist in regards to Baptism. He married a wonderful Christian lady who believes in infant baptism. To keep peace, their children are baptized twice, once as an infant and again as a child who professes Christ. My Pastor friend and I just chuckle together. Baptist will dedicate their infants. He calls it a dry baptism. The infant baptism pastor also dedicates their infants and sprinkles a little bit of water (wet baptism). As long as someone does not believe in baptismal regeneration, it really doesn't matter...just chuckle.

Special Revelation

Also, some denominations and non-denominations teach that salvation comes from both believing and being baptised, based on about 3 verses in the Bible that tie them together. In light of all the verses that simply say that He that believes has eternal life, and the fact that in Acts, people believed and were saved, then were baptised afterward, and other things, I do not add baptism to belief for salvation, but call it a symbol of our belief and a public profession of our faith in Christ. While it is the first step in obedience as a new-born Christian believer, it is just that, and does not save anybody, for our sins were washed away by the blood of Christ. All Baptist teachings I know of teach baptism as separate from having believed on Christ for salvation. I was saved at the age of 8 and baptised at the age of 14 when I joined a Baptist Church, they also made sure before I was baptised that I understood the plan of salvation; that all have sinned, the penalty of which is death, Jesus paid the penalty by dying in our place, and if we believe in, place our trust in that, in Jesus' death and resurrection, we are saved. Before I was baptised, they also had me to pray again to be sure, asking Jesus to forgive me of my sins believing He paid for them on the cross and rose again. Since then I have been "growing in grace", oft' times failing, at times having had doubts, which lead me to dig deeper, and to a stronger faith and assurance in Christ, and the molding and shaping process goes on to this day! :)
Peace and Love,
Mike

Okay dear brother in Christ... I am always blessed by your postings. Here is an illustration of what we do as baptist. You state the you were saved as an 8 year old. You were baptized at the age of 14. We have a 6 year period between professed faith and obedience to the command of baptism (outward sign of the inward reality at the age of 8). Do you see the problem with baptist children of households of faith. We are indirectly teaching them disobedience to the command of Jesus to be baptize. Within Christianity and the infant baptism position, children are called Covenant Children. They are baptized as infants as a sign of the covenant. It is similar to the outward sign of the inward reality. The inward reality is at God's timing and not by man's decision through a sinners prayer. The baptism points really to the future to your Christian children, the promise is to you and your household. God will grant the new birth to your children in the future.

The problem with this waiting period has to do with the Semi-Pelagius position of man's ability to convert themselves through a sinners prayer along with the altar call. Is this practice of decisional regeneration man made? I had a friend who was a follow-up counselor for the Billy Graham crusade. She would follow up with those who did an altar call at the Billy Graham crusade. After a year after the crusade, a extremely small percentage of those who did an altar call were in churches, or had any spiritual change in their lives. Were all of them who did an altar call converted and born again?

joeboonda

Okay dear brother in Christ... I am always blessed by your postings. Here is an illustration of what we do as baptist. You state the you were saved as an 8 year old. You were baptized at the age of 14. We have a 6 year period between professed faith and obedience to the command of baptism (outward sign or the inward reality at the age of 8). Do you see the problem with children of households of faith. Within Christianity and the infant baptism position, children are called Covenant Children. They are baptized as infants as a sign of the covenant. It is similar to the outward sign of the inward reality. The inward reality is at God's timing and not by man's decision through a sinners prayer. The baptism points really to the future to your Christian children, the promise is to you and your household. God will grant the new birth to your children in the future.
Thanks brother, I enjoy your posts as well! Are you saying you are Baptist? Because that does not sound at all like Baptist Doctrine. I was saved at age 8 but did not know about baptism and sporadically went to different churches for some time as my parents were coming out of catholicism. I accepted Christ in the summer at a youth ministry by a Baptist group that came to spread the Gospel, they were not from my town, so I was on my own in some ways. For several years we attended a wonderful country church with loving spirit-filled people, but the issue of baptism somehow never came up. When I finaly learned of the command to be Baptised to make a public profession of my faith as a believer, I obeyed. I have no problem with parents baptising their babies as a dedication that they will be raised to come to know the Lord, its more for the parents to me, I don't believe it saves anyone or takes away 'original sin'. I sometimes attend a laid-back contemporary service at the Methodist Church, and they like to sprinkle their infants, too, which is fine with me. But I also believe that once a person has trusted Christ as Saviour and is saved, they should get baptised, preferrably by immersion, as symbolic and as an outward profession of their faith. They won't not be saved if they don't but they will be walking in obedience and in God's blessings if they do. That's sorta my take without getting to much into what all baptism symbolizes and such.
Peace, Grace, and Love,
Mike

Special Revelation

Thanks brother, I enjoy your posts as well! Are you saying you are Baptist? Because that does not sound at all like Baptist Doctrine. I was saved at age 8 but did not know about baptism and sporadically went to different churches for some time as my parents were coming out of catholicism. I accepted Christ in the summer at a youth ministry by a Baptist group that came to spread the Gospel, they were not from my town, so I was on my own in some ways. For several years we attended a wonderful country church with loving spirit-filled people, but the issue of baptism somehow never came up. When I finaly learned of the command to be Baptised to make a public profession of my faith as a believer, I obeyed. I have no problem with parents baptising their babies as a dedication that they will be raised to come to know the Lord, its more for the parents to me, I don't believe it saves anyone or takes away 'original sin'. I sometimes attend a laid-back contemporary service at the Methodist Church, and they like to sprinkle their infants, too, which is fine with me. But I also believe that once a person has trusted Christ as Saviour and is saved, they should get baptised, preferrably by immersion, as symbolic and as an outward profession of their faith. They won't not be saved if they don't but they will be walking in obedience and in God's blessings if they do. That's sorta my take without getting to much into what all baptism symbolizes and such.
Peace, Grace, and Love,
Mike

Hey dear brother, I can tell that you know our Lord Jesus Christ and have been reconciled to our Great God. Within baptist churches, there are different perspectives on how long children should wait after they profess Christ. I know different baptist pastors, it's a difficult subject. Again, I don't let the ordinance of baptism to define me...I think we should only be identified as Christian... a disciple or follower of our Lord Jesus Christ.

To make my point... to have all of us rethink our practices... when you professed Christ at the age of eight, would you have been baptized earlier than the age of 14 since you know now that baptism is an outward sign of the inward reality (born again at 8)? All I'm sharing is that our kids need to be baptized at a much earlier age as disciples of Jesus Christ... out of love and obedience of knowing Him.