• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arms sale approved for Taiwan. Good news.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think USA is wrong to help Taiwan & Ukraine?

No, unless it oversteps and turns its help into hostility. Its help in Taiwan should be purely defensive, which it has been so far.

Or that USA has wrongful motives in doing so?

Are geopolitical interests "wrongful motives"? I would say that depended on the context. It's possible that at least some officials believe in helping other countries to maintain said countries' democracy and independence, but the bigger picture seems to me primarily about geopolitical interests and keeping global rivals (China and Russia, in this case) at bay.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have seen you make this claim, but that does not appear to be what happened to me. It seems that almost all of Europe thought that the former leadership was corrupt and the people of Ukraine were pleased with the result. Do you have any support for this claim?

To be fair, sometimes popular opinions can be wrong or at least based on preconceived notions rather than consideration of evidence. Governments are also often driven by their interests and foreign relations rather than ethics.

I would be more interested in what Ukrainians themselves thought, as I would trust outsiders' opinions about a Ukrainian domestic affair less than theirs. Zelenskyy definitely seems quite popular in Ukraine, too.

lukethethird

unknown member
I have seen you make this claim, but that does not appear to be what happened to me. It seems that almost all of Europe thought that the former leadership was corrupt and the people of Ukraine were pleased with the result. Do you have any support for this claim?

The 2014 CIA backed Maidun coup caused a civil war to break out and now Russia and Nato nations are involved. Was Trump corrupt, should foreign operations have helped overthrow him, or is that what elections and the courts are for?

Zelensky ran for office on a platform of making peace with eastern Ukraine and to make ties and cooperate with Russia, he won overwhelmingly because that is what the majority of Ukraine voters wanted. Once in power Zelensky did a 180. Perhaps someone read him the riot act.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
...the bigger picture seems to me primarily about geopolitical interests and keeping global rivals (China and Russia, in this case) at bay.
There's good reason to keep them at bay,
ie, their violent conquest.
This is good, no matter that USA has also
sinned....to head off that response, since
I'm leaving town very soon.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
There's good reason to keep them at bay,
ie, their violent conquest.
This is good, no matter that USA has also
sinned [...]

I agree. Conversely, I hope China could likewise keep the US at bay should the US become violent again.

Such power struggles are an ever-oscillating pendulum.

[...] ....to head off that response, since
I'm leaving town very soon.

Safe travels.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The 2014 CIA backed Maidun coup caused a civil war to break out and now Russia and Nato nations are involved. Was Trump corrupt, should foreign operations have helped overthrow him, or is that what elections and the courts are for?

Zelensky ran for office on a platform of making peace with eastern Ukraine and to make ties and cooperate with Russia, he won overwhelmingly because that is what the majority of Ukraine voters wanted. Once in power Zelensky did a 180. Perhaps someone read him the riot act.
Reliable sources would be nice. I do not tend to trust either far left wing ones or far right wing ones.

lukethethird

unknown member