• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arms sale approved for Taiwan. Good news.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The Ukraine is a corrupt dump run by an actor playing the role of a dictator. We helped overthrow their elected government in 2014 and are using them as pawns in a proxy war. If we want to help those people, we need to stop using them as cannon fodder. Honestly, Russia hasn't even really invaded them. They could if they wanted to, but they're mostly fighting in the east, where the disputed territories are. There's nothing happening in Kiev, where the actor plays the role of fearless "wartime" leader in olive green, while doing photo ops with celebs and politicians in broad daylight. The Taiwan thing is probably similar saber rattling. I don't see how anyone can take what the government and MSM say seriously at this point. It's blatant propaganda.

...orchestrated by Soros?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
...orchestrated by Soros?
I didn't say anything about Soros. This is just another example in a very long line of the US government waging proxy wars with less powerful countries caught in the middle (and suffering for it), fomenting coups and overthrowing governments to install puppet/more malleable governments, etc. You can look this up yourself. It's just the facts of what happened. We've been doing this crap for decades. But nice attempt to handwave it away, I guess. :rolleyes:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nobody wants to go to war against Russia or China, only help innocent people defend their land against aggression.
Would you accuse someone of "picking a fight" for giving a woman pepper spray to fend off rapists?
That's what the arms are for.

It's intended as a deterrent hopefully preventing subjugation of It's people by a totalitarian Communist regime.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Then someone should've supported Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya against us. We brought those countries to ruins and over a million people all together died because of it. Seriously, this is just nonsense. If you think I believe for a second the "Russia and China = evil invaders, America = force for freedom and democracy" bs, you don't know me and need to peddle it elsewhere. You want to go to war against China and Russia, go join a merc group and have fun getting yourself killed. I'm not interested, and don't want my money used for such garbage.
The thing is we are not going to war against China.

It's China threatening to go to war on Taiwan of which the country just wants to protect itself.

The US is obligated to accommodate that by an act of Congress.

Taiwan is not the proverbial bad guy in this scenario.

lukethethird

unknown member
That's what the arms are for.

It's intended as a deterrent hopefully preventing subjugation of It's people by a totalitarian Communist regime.

Taiwan is going to be turned into a battlefield, that is what the arms shipment is for, where are the calls for peace so that that doesn't happen? Why the heck does anyone care about a small island off the coast of China anyways, other than to turn it into a battle field, like all the other countries laid to waste, and all for the benefit of war profiteers, because I don't see anyone else benefiting by all of this.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the US government needs to stop meddling in world affairs and focus on issues at home. Taiwan and Ukraine have nothing to do with issues facing Americans and these sell-out politicians care more about Ukrainians than the people who voted for them! After all, our foreign policy has crap all to do with "justice"! What a laugh! We're the biggest conquerors on the planet. We've destroyed several countries, murdered their heads of state, occupied them, etc. all in the last 20 years. Russia and China don't hold a candle to us there.

I really appreciate that you mention the US' atrocious record and that you don't buy into the idea that US foreign policy is driven by benevolence, but if I were Ukrainian, I would take all of the aid I could get to defend my people and land. The intentions of the US don't change that Ukrainians are fending off a murderous dictator's invasion.

If my own country were at threat of being invaded by China like Taiwan is, I'd also welcome an arms deal with the US. It wouldn't be due to my having any love for the US government; it would just be due to the pragmatism of such a deal. The Allies had to work with Stalin to defeat the Axis. It doesn't mean they liked or approved of his regime.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I really appreciate that you mention the US' atrocious record and that you don't buy into the idea that US foreign policy is driven by benevolence, but if I were Ukrainian, I would take all of the aid I could get to defend my people and land. The intentions of the US don't change that Ukrainians are fending off a murderous dictator's invasion.
Do you think USA is wrong to help Taiwan & Ukraine?
Or that USA has wrongful motives in doing so?

lukethethird

unknown member
Because 23.5 million people live there, and call it their home? Their country? Why should they be expected to surrender their liberty, sovereignity, culture, identity, etc?

Who says they have to, your government? If you cared as much you claim you would not be supporting an arms build up because the aim is to turn Taiwan into a battlefield. The US overturned a democratically elected president of Ukraine in order to turn the Ukraine into a battlefield, and now they are promising to support Taiwan against China, and you talk about liberty and sovereignty, as if.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nobody wants to go to war against Russia or China, only help innocent people defend their land against aggression.
Would you accuse someone of "picking a fight" for giving a woman pepper spray to fend off rapists?
Today I think that some people would excuse a "rape in self defense". At least that is the attitude I am picking up here.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Who says they have to, your government? If you cared as much you claim you would not be supporting an arms build up because the aim is to turn Taiwan into a battlefield. The US overturned a democratically elected president of Ukraine in order to turn the Ukraine into a battlefield, and now they are promising to support Taiwan against China, and you talk about liberty and sovereignty, as if.
But anyway let's get back to my question.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I do, too. I sincerely hope that the Chinese people rise up against the CCP one day and overthrow it. But it should be of their own will and doing, not by the bidding of a foreign nation who has its own agenda.

The US would have had a lot of trouble doing so without foreign interest or assistance.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The US overturned a democratically elected president of Ukraine in order to turn the Ukraine into a battlefield, and now they are promising to support Taiwan against China, and you talk about liberty and sovereignty, as if.

That's a pretty paternalistic description of what happened in Ukraine between 2004 and 2014.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The US overturned a democratically elected president of Ukraine in order to turn the Ukraine into a battlefield, and now they are promising to support Taiwan against China, and you talk about liberty and sovereignty, as if.

That's a pretty paternalistic description of what happened in Ukraine between 2004 and 2014.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I have seen you make this claim, but that does not appear to be what happened to me. It seems that almost all of Europe thought that the former leadership was corrupt and the people of Ukraine were pleased with the result. Do you have any support for this claim?