• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arming teachers is a great idea

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Getting into my current home would be very difficult.
I seem to remember that you live in a flat? OK, so a decent door plus decent door entry system could work wonders.

Most houses or flat require no more than a good kick to the doorknob, or a few seconds work with a pry bar.
What is with this thing about how nobody knows how
intruders could get in?
What a wonderful opportunity for a business, then.
I would just love to watch such would-be thieves kicking local neighbour's door knobs.
And a pry bar would have trouble opening a pvc or composite door's multi-locking system.

This is pathetic. to spend a dime on home security yet chuck so many dollars at guns. Pathetic.

some attempt at snotty assumed superiority, most likely, that being a kind of theme from a lot of you brits
Try the down-to-earth common sense of simple domestic security and loss prevention. No superiority complexes required.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In your opinion, no doubt. In the event,
I am not the vast majority.
And you are not trying to have it both ways,
secured is wrong, unsecured is wrong.
Secured is generally useless, unsecured is reckless. Don't blame me for the lack of justification for your behaviour.

I trained in its use, and I was living alone.
... but kept it with the presumption that you might have intruders?

I'm glad for you that your intruder didn't come in through the window of the room where you keep your gun and didn't find it first.

Audie

Veteran Member
Secured is generally useless, unsecured is reckless. Don't blame me for the lack of justification for your behaviour.

... but kept it with the presumption that you might have intruders?

I'm glad for you that your intruder didn't come in through the window of the room where you keep your gun and didn't find it first.

Never mind, to you there is nothing about which you
are not wiser, despite your 100% ignorance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Never mind, to you there is nothing about which you are not wiser, despite your 100% ignorance.
Do you ever tire of these ridiculous straw men they toss at you.
Your safety seems of no concern.

Secured is generally useless....
This is so laughably wrong.
I use a rapid access safe.
It's secure.
It takes a couple seconds to open, but only for me.

If those who so fiercely opposed gun ownership bothered to
understand the issue, some good discussions could be had.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
I seem to remember that you live in a flat? OK, so a decent door plus decent door entry system could work wonders.

What a wonderful opportunity for a business, then.
I would just love to watch such would-be thieves kicking local neighbour's door knobs.
And a pry bar would have trouble opening a pvc or composite door's multi-locking system.

This is pathetic. to spend a dime on home security yet chuck so many dollars at guns. Pathetic.

Try the down-to-earth common sense of simple domestic security and loss prevention. No superiority complexes required.

Common sense as you see it applied from a fewthousand
miles away.

I am aware that the snotty superiority I referred to is
second nature to a lot of brits, "required" or not.

Of course, you would not know the experience of living
in one of your colonies, and learning to loathe the
sound of a british accent.

I found people in Hampstead to be a pleasant enough
lot, but the expats were a different story.

Audie

Veteran Member
Do you ever tire of these ridiculous straw men they toss at you.

This is so laughably wrong.
It's secure.

I have offered no "strawmen".
I know what I am talking about, as opposed to
whoever here does not and is repeating someone's
lines.

I now about those safes.

Do you let an elevator door close on you,
relying on the safety mechanism to open the
door again?

An acquaintance recently represented the estate of
a doctor who made that mistake.

Would you put a pistil to your head, and pull the
trigger, counting on the safety? Why or why not?

the mechanism almost always will work.

The safe almost always would work

But slower. As per a previous poster's idea about
why a gun is always worthless.

A lot can happen in a couple of seconds.
As the only one living in the flat, I did not need
a safe to keep it away from children. I dont need
a safe for the deadly cleaver in the kitchen, either.

The hero of the safe suggestion had me run to safe, open it, load gun, and generally take up enough time to make
it worthless.

One of you says a safe is too slow, the other says it
it is no problem at all. Sheesh.

For straw men, you could hardly beat that thing
about someone coming in the bedroom window
and getting my pistol.

If you've never owned a gun, never been helpless
in the hands of someone out to harm you, never
had firearms training, I kind of think you might
be the one repeating political talking points, rather than
the one who knows what he she is talking about

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Common sense as you see it applied from a few thousand miles away.

I am aware that the snotty superiority I referred to is
second nature to a lot of brits, "required" or not.

I'm feeling the prejudice overflowing, methinks....

Of course, you would not know the experience of living in one of your colonies, and learning to loathe the
sound of a british accent.
Your friends and relatives may soon be loathing the sound of some Chinese accents?
And the prejudice keeps on overflowing..... :shrug:

I found people in Hampstead to be a pleasant enough lot, but the expats were a different story.
Oh dear..... all of them. Take a broom and sweep at them all.

And remember........ intruders cannot enter your home easily if you've taken the trouble to just about the common sense of simple loss prevention. You know it makes sense.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It's secure.
Then why oh why are you talking about it on the internet for? :shrug:
Saying this kind of thing gives so much away, and it actually can reduce your security..... raise your risk factor.

If those who so fiercely opposed gun ownership bothered to understand the issue, some good discussions could be had.
OK..... so what's the issue?
Tell us about the common sense of gun ownership in Michiganistan.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because I'm hoping to impress you.
It's a bromance thing.
Saying this kind of thing gives so much away, and it actually can reduce your security..... raise your risk factor.
I've no worries that posters here pose any danger...except to my self esteem.
I just shared the beauty of rapid access safes.
Want more?
Always point it in a safe direction.
Give much thought to how you carry.
I'm a fan of hesitating, ie, thinking before acting.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm feeling the prejudice overflowing, methinks....

Your friends and relatives may soon be loathing the sound of some Chinese accents?
And the prejudice keeps on overflowing..... :shrug:

Oh dear..... all of them. Take a broom and sweep at them all.

And remember........ intruders cannot enter your home easily if you've taken the trouble to just about the common sense of simple loss prevention. You know it makes sense.

I wish it were prejudice, then all needed to change it is
my attitude. POSTjudice is another matter.

You've not had my experience. You'd whistle a
different kettle of bloaters, if you had.

As for Chinese rule, I'd take the British back in a
heartbeat, accent and all. Esp if they'd consider
a bit of sensitivity training. :D Oh, and learn
how to speak English properly.

As for securing my home, it would take an extraordinary
act to get into my flat. I dont own a gun now, and
see no need for me to own one.

I wonder, if some unusual stroke of fate put the
two of in a lifeboat alone on the wide wide sea,
if we'd soon be friends or ready to kill eachother.

Audie

Veteran Member

As an example of how you do not know what you
are talking about we present your idea about the
safe, There is no twiddling of dial, they do open fast
at a touch, but only for one person.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As an example of how you do not know what you
are talking about we present your idea about the
safe, There is no twiddling of dial, they do open fast
at a touch, but only for one person.
Mine uses a Simplex mechanical lock,
which requires touching it in a special
way with certain fingers.
(I have its permission, of course.)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Because I'm hoping to impress you.
It's a bromance thing.

I've no worries that posters here pose any danger...except to my self esteem.
Oh...... alright.........
Well, in that case, nobody, absolutely nobody who needs to secure high value items in a property only has one safe. Nobody.

I just shared the beauty of rapid access safes.
Slow access safes are much more beautiful than rapid access safes. Well, safe number 1 is, anyway.

Want more?
Said the ......... nevermind..
Yes! Give me more!

Always point it in a safe direction.
My Missus....... nevermind.

Give much thought to how you carry.
I'm a fan of hesitating, ie, thinking before acting.
Oh you cool hand, you........

Now, would you say that it's a good idea to make home entry difficult enough for a would-be intruder so that it isn't worth their trouble?

Look, we do have our fair share of sillies here......... in the winter it's a doddle to nick a motor in the early morning because some folks start up their cars and leave them on the driveways, running to warm up while the owners finish their tea and toast inside their homes. So it's easy for a team to cruise the streets until they find one ticking over and then they just drop a driver off to steal it.

It's easy for walk in thieves on hot summer week-day afternoons to wander the streets, looking for open front doors (for better ventilation). Mostly mothers and pensioners (like me :) ) are home at such times, in the back garden, so to walk in and steal anything in sight is easy, especially car keys...... the car is waiting on the driveway.

The most common time in Britain for Burglaries is about 3.30pm in the afternoon........ school pick up time.

When I last checked the average time for a burglary is three minutes.

Burglars don't smash down doors, they let themselves in through open apertures.

etc etc.......... all this doesn't need a shoot out to stop, iot just needs simple common sense home security.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I wish it were prejudice, then all needed to change it is
my attitude. POSTjudice is another matter.

You've not had my experience. You'd whistle a
different kettle of bloaters, if you had.

As for Chinese rule, I'd take the British back in a
heartbeat, accent and all. Esp if they'd consider
a bit of sensitivity training. :D Oh, and learn
how to speak English properly.
Fair enough......
I know more snooty poms than you do........ for sure.

As for securing my home, it would take an extraordinary act to get into my flat. I dont own a gun now, and see no need for me to own one.
Fair enough...... I remember you telling me about your flat before. There is a tough rough neighbourhood up the coast with huge tower blocks of flats. The residents there have heavy barred and hinged grills in front of their heavy composite doors. And leaving their flats is the high-risk thing for them so they only go out at certain times. So it can be bad here as well.

I wonder, if some unusual stroke of fate put the
two of in a lifeboat alone on the wide wide sea,
if we'd soon be friends or ready to kill eachother.
As long as I can steer and do the sailing we won't have a problem. I'm quite handsome as well........ you might even fancy me....... @Revoltingest is the ugly one..... yuk!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh...... alright.........
Well, in that case, nobody, absolutely nobody who needs to secure high value items in a property only has one safe. Nobody.
Say whuh?
Slow access safes are much more beautiful than rapid access safes. Well, safe number 1 is, anyway.
I collect the fancy ones.
I use the plain jane ones
Now, would you say that it's a good idea to make home entry difficult enough for a would-be intruder so that it isn't worth their trouble?
It's good to have a reasonable level of security.
But one would be going overboard to use a 12-pin + dual sidebar
paracentric keyway Medeco deadlock in a residential door.
Look, we do have our fair share of sillies here......... in the winter it's a doddle to nick a motor in the early morning because some folks start up their cars and leave them on the driveways, running to warm up while the owners finish their tea and toast inside their homes. So it's easy for a team to cruise the streets until they find one ticking over and then they just drop a driver off to steal it.

It's easy for walk in thieves on hot summer week-day afternoons to wander the streets, looking for open front doors (for better ventilation). Mostly mothers and pensioners (like me :) ) are home at such times, in the back garden, so to walk in and steal anything in sight is easy, especially car keys...... the car is waiting on the driveway.

The most common time in Britain for Burglaries is about 3.30pm in the afternoon........ school pick up time.

When I last checked the average time for a burglary is three minutes.

Burglars don't smash down doors, they let themselves in through open apertures.
No, they do smash doors here.
In Detroit, they drive beaters (a cheap car) thru overhead doors.
Of course, unlocked doors are preferred.
etc etc.......... all this doesn't need a shoot out to stop, iot just needs simple common sense home security.
Common sense?
You're in the wrong thread for that.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Say whuh?
Throw aways.........
Safes with a credible amount of value in them in the event of robbery and high duress. Such safes usually activate the silent duress hold up communication to a central station facility which is under contract to police the signal without any initial call back check.
Under duress, most everybody breaks.

I collect the fancy ones.
I use the plain jane ones
Wot..... wimmen? Ummm..... oh, yeah.... safes. Right....

It's good to have a reasonable level of security.
But one would be going overboard to use a 12-pin + dual sidebar paracentric keyway Medeco deadlock in a residential door.
Most folks are tight-wads until after they've had a break-in, and that's often too late because, (mostly) if a woman's clothing drawers have been turned through, then all the clothes are binned, which is the first indicator that the property will be up for sale within a couple of months. Such expenses as moving house can be several thousand quid (at least) here, and the home was probably ideal before the break in, so wise folks think and act early.

No, they do smash doors here.
In Detroit, they drive beaters (a cheap car) thru overhead doors. Of course, unlocked doors are preferred.
Ram Raids are industrial, commercial retail oriented....... not domestic..... domestic burglaries which include a ram-raid would need to offer massive values....... in fact the idea of killing a non-violent domestic burglar without initial warning is so close to manslaughter/murder here as possible. All you lot who mumble on about 'defending property' haven't actually got much worth killing for. Our home defenders who have killed were mostly defending themselves from violence. Defending property here is all about common sense deters.

Common sense?
You're in the wrong thread for that.
If I stray from common sense it's allowed now....... I'm in my 70s.
Each year I have a security project. Last year I purchased a large sheet of 8mm Clear Acrylic cut to the pattern of our Lounge arched fixed window. I fitted it over and outside of the double-glazed pvc lounge window. It cost £100. A sealed double-glazed unit for that window would cost about £1200 because making curved sealed units is difficult and with high-risk of seal break-down, hence the cost. The risk was that vehicle stone chips, strimmer stone-throws from neighbouring props or stones thrown by thugs could crack or bust the sealed unit.
This year it was lighting and a radio activated by passive infra-red detectors in our back garden....... the risk was foxes nicking our ducks...... foxes don't like human voice conversations here so a 24 hour chat-line can sort that.
It could also non-plus a garden intruder......... :p

Guns? Who needs 'em?

Of course, protecting the Revolting-Jewels could stretch a budget, but signs showing Mrs Revolting with a baseball bat could help? Note: She shouldn't be wearing just lingerie or that'll attract masochist nutters..... ok? It's down at the feet for dancin' and up in the 'ead for thinkin'..... :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Throw aways.........
Safes with a credible amount of value in them in the event of robbery and high duress. Such safes usually activate the silent duress hold up communication to a central station facility which is under contract to police the signal without any initial call back check.
Under duress, most everybody breaks.
I still have no idea what this means.