• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arming teachers is a great idea

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why stop with arming the teachers? Why not arm the students too? Heck, I'm all for arming everyone in the school, and then militarizing it like we've done with our police departments. Shouldn't the football team have it's own main battle tank? I can't see why not. "Camouflage and Kevlar for the kids!" That's my view!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think arming teachers logically will increase defense and security.

What do you think?

All teachers, no. Only ones who have had a significant amount of training and an extensive background check.

These would need to be rechecked on a continuous basis at least yearly and hold a special license to carry a firearm on school grounds IMO.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why stop with arming the teachers? Why not arm the students too? Heck, I'm all for arming everyone in the school, and then militarizing it like we've done with our police departments. Shouldn't the football team have it's own main battle tank? I can't see why not. "Camouflage and Kevlar for the kids!" That's my view!
Cool. Tank football.....

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Not to mention most teachers already have a very full schedule, and we're going to expect them to find time to train up to, and stay current with, urban combat standards? Are we considering the cost of substitutes to cover all the class time such training will eat into?

I fear the whole "we'll just arm teachers" kneejerk is just another example of the wierd American belief that mere posession of a gun can turn anyone into John Maclean. I'm yet to encounter any proponents of the idea who have an answer to any of the questions I just raised, or the many others besides.

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

All teachers, no. Only ones who have had a significant amount of training and an extensive background check.

These would need to be rechecked on a continuous basis at least yearly and hold a special license to carry a firearm on school grounds IMO.
Soldiers and tactical police expecting to operate in urban operations have to do a lot more than that to stay current. If we're expecting teachers to be a REAL solution to the school shooting problem, and not just "there I fixed it" window dressing, it's going to take a lot more than a yearly check.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Uhhh...when I was in high school there rifles and shotguns hung in open sight in many trucks in the student parking lot. The idea of a school shooter was completely foreign to us during that time.

Kangaroo Feathers

Cool. A whole new field for injury attorneys to play in.
Another area the "let's just arm teachers" crowd seems not to have considered. Increase the number of firearms in schools, and you WILL increase the number of firearm accidents. Who pays for them? What about friendly fire? Mr. Rambo from home ec. Misidentifies a threat and shoots some kid who wasn't actually an active shooter, who pays for that?

Here's a big one; what's the protocol for when the cops show up? How do they tell the armed teachers from the active shooter(s)?

Not to mention most teachers already have a very cull schedule, and we're going to expect them to find time to train up to, and stay current with, urban combat standards? Are we considering the cost of substitutes to cover all the class time such training will eat into?

I fear the whole "we'll just arm teachers" kneejerk is just another example of the wierd American belief that mere posession of a gun can turn anyone into John Maclean. I'm yet to encounter any proponents of the idea who have an answer to any of the questions I just raised, or the many others besides.

One dont need to be a john maclean, one just needs to be a better shooter then the other guy bent on evil.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Uhhh...when I was in high school there rifles and shotguns hung in open sight in many trucks in the student parking lot. The idea of a school shooter was completely foreign to us during that time.

Same here. I came from a rural area with a strong gun culture that encouraged the safe and ethical use of firearms.

But all that changed beginning around the mid-70s in my county. I am not under the illusions things are still the way they once were.

Twilight Hue

Especially hunting season. I still remember the school rifle club.

Twilight Hue

Same here. I came from a rural area with a strong gun culture that encouraged the safe and ethical use of firearms.

But all that changed beginning around the mid-70s in my county. I am not under the illusions things are still the way they once were.
I have to agree. I think this generation is far too immature to responsibly handle firearms.