• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arificial Superintelligence and the Technological Singularity explained

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Looking forward to it, even though it may mean the end of human civilization. Maybe the advent of immortal consciousness.
Old humankind gone, but new humankind born.

Besides, if we want to be a space faring species, we probably have to "evolve" into the new kind.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I have a hard time comprehending what a technological singularity would mean for human life, even though many reputable scientists, such as Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk of Space-X have expressed concern for this phenomena, which basically means through my understanding, that software will actually progress to a point that it creates a "runaway reaction" that entails repetitive self-improvement to the point of total knowledge, surpassing human capabilities.

Vernor Vinge, has said that he believes the technological singularity will be reached by 2030.

What is your take on the Technological singularity..?
Will the universe be explained?
do you feel we are in danger?
Could it be a good thing for discovery and advancement of the human race?

Technological singularity - Wikipedia

I'd like to see human intelligence merged together with artificial intelligence by way of artificial intelligence implants into most everybody's mind, which could then be networked together as a collective intelligence being nearly omniscient as well as being nearly omnipresent.

I reckon there might be some human resistance to such a movement, but inevitably such resistance to a collective cyborg intelligence would be futile.

Last edited:

Terry Sampson

I happen to have the dubitable distinction of having been a classmate and fellow dormitory co-resident of the author of two books:
  • Returning to Eden Paperback – January 11, 2018
  • Screenshot_2019-11-12 Returning to Eden John Mazurk 9781641384445 Amazon com Books.png
  • Recreating Eden: When Humanity Achieves Immortality in this Existence Paperback – October 22, 2019
    • Humanity will achieve immortality in this existence in about three hundred years. That raises the question, what is humankind's immortal purpose in this existence? Is it to create throughout the universe a paradise for our species? If it is, how will people achieve an eternal paradise? That raises the question, what is paradise? According to religious beliefs, the concept of paradise varies. People who do not have religious beliefs have different concepts of what they believe paradise to be. Another question that will be asked is, why would anyone want to live forever in this existence? People of faith will accept that they are only reunited with their creator when they die. Some people will want to spend eternity in a virtual reality, and then there are those that want to spend eternity seeking eternal knowledge by exploring the universe. Paradise is not just a place, it's also a way of living, including interacting with others of like beliefs. It's differences in beliefs that cause differences resulting in challenges of how to settle the universe. Recreating Eden addresses these issues and suggest possible solutions that will need to be addressed when humanity achieves immortality in this existence.
  • John startled us former classmates at our 50th High School "Class of 1966" reunion three years ago, with news of his first book's pending publication and his firm conviction that "human immortality" is a definite possibility within the next 250+ years.
    • I remember him well as a great chess and cribbage opponent, a skilled tennis player, and the only guy I knew who could touch the tip of his nose or his chin with his tongue. [Ahhh,... the things we will do to impress our friends, eh?]
    • My regret is that I won't be here to see his belief come true, unless, of course, I get recycled back here between now and then.
  • Go for it, John Mazurkiewicz! Live long and prosper! :D

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I'd like to see human intelligence merged together with artificial intelligence by way of artificial intelligence implants into most everybody's mind, which could then be networked together as a collective intelligence being nearly omniscient as well as being nearly omnipresent.

I reckon there might be some human resistance to such a movement, but inevitably such resistance to a collective cyborg intelligence would be futile.
I wouldn't mind the implants, but the networked ones kind'a scares me a little because of potential virus, computer virus essentially. I do think it will happen though. The first step will be medical. Like for Alzheimer or stroke patients, then for soldiers to interact with equipment, then for engineers and operators to operate machinery and vehicles, ...

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
What is particularly fascinating is the speed at which self improvement would occur... Because part of "self-improvement" includes getting faster, so what I'm imagining is that the more information that is gathered, the faster it will actually go... Which sort of helps explain how such an amazing feat can be completed in our lifetime. Like a total chain reaction that exceeds what makes sense to the human mind.

What I think will happen, among other things, is that AIs will have access to global databases, including social media archives, emails and messages of all kinds.

Given what happened during (and more importantly, after) the Arab Spring, when an AI called Evident was distributed to various dictatorial governments by MI6, I think it represents a major threat to liberty.

Evident can do various kinds of surveillance, including the identification of emerging groups and their organisers.

Thousands of people disappeared after the Arab Spring.

Such an AI, linked to military drones, could well be the knockout punch that ends justice and liberty.

Eventually, AIs will do ongoing psychological evaluation of individuals, and possibly even ‘manage’ them.