• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you certain that God exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynic

Ahmadi said:
All I can say to the above statement is that your knowledge of religion is incredibly naive. Just try to look at the stories of their Gods and compare those to the Quran and you will see an incredible amount of difference. Rationality and the Quran vs. rationailty and the greek myths - oh, please don't tell me that it's the same.
I'm sorry, I've been a theist for 9 years and I have a library that includes plenty of books on world religions. And, I've read the Quran.

Ahmadi

Tawn said:
Isnt it more rational to just say 'I dont know'? ..and neither believe God doesnt exist or believe God does exist?
I think it would be more rational to put the revelations and other spiritual truths to the test and try to follow the path given until you reach God. If you don't, then you can become an aetheist. Why do you want to shut your eyes to the spiritual truths? Why do want to remain ignorant of a world beyond ours that is far more interesting than this life?

Cynic

Ahmadi said:
There is no objective evidence for a whole lot of things but they exist. Just 500 years ago, folks like you said: "It's impossible to fly!" - because they did not have "objective evidence" but now we have the means to do so. They couldn't conclude 'with utmost certainty' that it's possible to fly... yet it happened... is this a miracle?

There are other ways to determine the existence of God and not a pink unicorn. First of all, a pink unicorn doesn't have the intelligence to produce life as complex and as organized and perfect as it is. Second of all, a pink unicorn is hardly aware of its own existence... so, how can it create intelligent beings like humans and provide them with "consciousness". If there is something 'out there', then it very well isn't your conviniently placed pink unicorn.
Meogi said:
HUGE SIGH...
What he said ^

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Ahmadi said:
I think it would be more rational to put the revelations and other spiritual truths to the test and try to follow the path given until you reach God. If you don't, then you can become an aetheist. Why do you want to shut your eyes to the spiritual truths? Why do want to remain ignorant of a world beyond ours that is far more interesting than this life?
My eyes are wide open. I would love to see some evidence of 'spiritual truths'. Heck, it would give my life meaning beyond the usual...'live life to the fullest cos it's all you've got' balony. I don't want to remain ignorant, for this reason I have read practically every holy book known to man, I have to admit that I didn't finish the quran because it made me sick but that's another story. I've tried prayer, guided meditation, drug induced euphoria, you name it and still have not seen one shred of evidence for a spiritual existence.
Shut my eyes to the spiritual truth? No I would say it is you that have shut your eyes. If your eyes were open you would see what I see, which is nothing.

Fascist Christ

Tawn said:
Why does one make more sense than the other?

In science (if one is to take the hypotheses to be accurate) energy is constant. It cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. All matter is essentially energy in one form or another.. so essentially our current understanding is everything exists indefinitely.
Who is to say that one form of energy cannot be God? It works fine for humans. Besides, I defined God as the FIrst Cause of our universe. I am not beyond accepting that the First Cause was unconscious or no longer exists in it's previous state.

Tawn

Ahmadi said:
I think it would be more rational to put the revelations and other spiritual truths to the test and try to follow the path given until you reach God. If you don't, then you can become an aetheist. Why do you want to shut your eyes to the spiritual truths?
No you misunderstand. Im not saying abandon any hope of discovering truth.
(Weak) Atheism is not an abandonment of the search for God.. its more a lack of committing to something which remains in serious doubt.
I absolutely agree with putting spiritual truths to the test. However, I dont agree with believing in those things until those truths have been tested to a 'reasonable' degree. Where that reasonable level lies is each persons own choice.
Why do want to remain ignorant of a world beyond ours that is far more interesting than this life?
Because it may turn out that this life is the best thing youve ever been given - and that youll ever get and youll be wasting your time embracing a fantasy. Ignorance though, is not what im advocating.
If there is a world beyond this - ill get there when I get there. For now im going to make the best of this world and assume there is no 'tomorrow'.

Tawn

Fascist Christ said:
Who is to say that one form of energy cannot be God? It works fine for humans. Besides, I defined God as the FIrst Cause of our universe. I am not beyond accepting that the First Cause was unconscious or no longer exists in it's previous state.
That would seem to make sense.. but I was trying to question your reasons for believing in a 'beginning'..

Fascist Christ

Tawn said:
That would seem to make sense.. but I was trying to question your reasons for believing in a 'beginning'..
Because I can't convince myself that there wasn't one. If you can prove to me that there was no beginning, then I will change my opinion. At this point I am not convinced, though I admit I could be wrong. It's only a theory. That's why I am a Deist, my beliefs can change in light of new information.

joeboonda

I know God exists because I studied his prophecies, and saw them to be 100% accurate, in actual history, not just biblical history. One example is that the Bible says Israel would be scattered but in the last days they would return. These were fulfilled, first in 70AD, and next in 1948.

Because I know the prophecies to be correct, against all odds, I can count on the Bible to be true, as it is not only propheticly, but historicaly accurate too. And the BIble speaks of God, so I know God exists.

I have also had personal experiences which lead me to know God is real, but as that is subjective, I won't tell about them. I have observed how many people's lives are drastically improved once they come to faith in Christ. Alcoholics become productive citizens, etc. so I see God changeing lives for the better, whereas I have seen people go into satanism and have nothing but turmoil and tragedy haunt their every turn. But that is just personal observation.

There was actualy a preacher who invited an atheist to bring 100 men and he would bring 100 men, who's lives were drasticaly changed for the better for their beliefs, the atheist backed down.

Ahmadi

Cynic said:
I'm sorry, I've been a theist for 9 years and I have a library that includes plenty of books on world religions. And, I've read the Quran.
Then I have alot of trouble understanding why you still compare the Abrahamic God to the greek gods.

Ahmadi

Fade said:
My eyes are wide open. I would love to see some evidence of 'spiritual truths'. Heck, it would give my life meaning beyond the usual...'live life to the fullest cos it's all you've got' balony. I don't want to remain ignorant, for this reason I have read practically every holy book known to man, I have to admit that I didn't finish the quran because it made me sick but that's another story. I've tried prayer, guided meditation, drug induced euphoria, you name it and still have not seen one shred of evidence for a spiritual existence.
Shut my eyes to the spiritual truth? No I would say it is you that have shut your eyes. If your eyes were open you would see what I see, which is nothing.
Why is it that I see such a contrast between seekers like you and seekers that I personally know of?
It is my observation that those who seek God with the purest of intentions and the purest of hearts actually experience God even if it is subjectively. The only propblem that I think you had was skepticism. If you had tried your methods with purity of heart and mind, there is no doubt you would have found God.

And... oh, I can make the same statement: If your eyes were open, you would see what I see, which is the existence of God beyond even a shadow of doubt.

Ahmadi

Tawn said:
(Weak) Atheism is not an abandonment of the search for God.. its more a lack of committing to something which remains in serious doubt.
I think the above statement describes the true meaning of aetheism. It's a 'lack of commitment' to something which can be found if it is searched for. It's perhaps the laziness or denial from the heart that it is possible for man to progress beyond this earthly life.
I absolutely agree with putting spiritual truths to the test. However, I dont agree with believing in those things until those truths have been tested to a 'reasonable' degree.
Why don't you test them for yourself? ... and if your claim is that you have tried everything, then there must be something wrong with either the methods of your attempts or the purity of your heart. I have personally observed so many people experience God through prayers, etc. and if they had tried 'everything' they wouldn't have had their beliefs the way they do.

Here's even a clearer statement of what I am describing:
If there is a world beyond this - ill get there when I get there. For now im going to make the best of this world and assume there is no 'tomorrow'.

Fascist Christ

joeboonda said:
I know God exists because I studied his prophecies, and saw them to be 100% accurate, in actual history, not just biblical history. One example is that the Bible says Israel would be scattered but in the last days they would return. These were fulfilled, first in 70AD, and next in 1948.
That's the funny thing about prophecies, they can be open to multiple meanings. For example, I can say Marilyn Manson predicted the 2004 election results in 1996 with his "Little Horn" prophecy. However, thats getting too far offtopic.

joeboonda said:
There was actualy a preacher who invited an atheist to bring 100 men and he would bring 100 men, who's lives were drasticaly changed for the better for their beliefs, the atheist backed down.
Sounds like a nice story to put in the bible. Especially with those nice round numbers and the vagueness of it all. Here's one for you:

100 followers of Mammon went to their financial representative and 5 years later were millionaires. The atheist is still flipping burgers. Looks like we should all praise Mammon!

Status
Not open for further replies.