• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we of blind faith?

I have come to question my beliefs on a regular basis to affirm they are true. I have come to wonder if most people do the same. Have any of you done such on a regular basis and search out what others believe in addition to why they do so? Do you question your doctrine and wonder if it is Truth? Do you follow all of the rituals of your belief without pondering if it is right in God's eyes? Do you wonder if your religion is perhaps just a lie from Satan?

The last question I have ponder over with my beliefs and the other religions out there. Satan did, afterall, use scripture to tempt Jesus in the gospels. I see that as a lesson that he could do the same to us. That is why I look up the idea of special/personal interpretation or continual revelation with uncertainty.

Are we of blind faith?

Cordoba

Hello Searcher of Light:

Different people reach faith in different ways, but generally-speaking there is a point in one's search for the Truth when one is totally convinced.

Before reaching that point, it's good to keep a totally objective position and an open mind.

After that point, I wouldn't describe it as "blind faith", but would suggest a believer becomes more subjective, as he or she is more convinced of the path they are following. The more convinced they are, the more subjective they become.

When should this subjectivity change?

I suggest that this would happen if one feels they are no longer "convinced" as before. At that point it would be time to re-assess and do more reasearch, reading and thinking. Seeking more knowledge in a systematic and logical way (imo) is the key to finding the right way.

All the best.

ayani

it happens. i didn't sued to be so ok with questioning things spiritually.

but i'm getting better at it, i think. and more interested in others' beliefs, too.

ThisShouldMakeSense

I agree with Cordoba. It does take constant questioning to test whether you are in the right religion. The apostle Paul commended the Boreans for doing that, checking the inspired expressions to see if they were true. but questioning is not enough.

Suppose you found out that what your religion practiced or teaches isn't in harmony with the Bible, then what? Well, if they teach something that has, say pagan or non christian origins, such as christmas or the trinity, then what you need to do is find out what God thinks about it. At the end of the day, that is what's important. He made the rules, we should play by them.
There are many religions all professing to be the right one, all thinking that they are pleasing to God. But that is not so. There is only one true faith and many imitators.

Everything you believe as a christian, ought to based squarly on God's word, and not on the traditions of men that are taught as gospel. you need to find out what the will of the father is, and then do it. A good place to start, is finding out what God's personal name is...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
ThisShouldMakeSense said:
There are many religions all professing to be the right one, all thinking that they are pleasing to God. But that is not so. There is only one true faith and many imitators.
That may be true...But which one?
I prefer to believe God has opened many avenues to his kingdom.
The broadest of them is that taught by Jesus.
There may be many churches, but only one God one Son and one Holy spirit.
God will not Judge you on a set of beliefs, but how you live your lives.
The Example to follow was given to us in the Teachings of Jesus.

Terry____________________________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Searcher of Light said:
I have come to question my beliefs on a regular basis to affirm they are true. I have come to wonder if most people do the same. Have any of you done such on a regular basis and search out what others believe in addition to why they do so? Do you question your doctrine and wonder if it is Truth? Do you follow all of the rituals of your belief without pondering if it is right in God's eyes? Do you wonder if your religion is perhaps just a lie from Satan?

The last question I have ponder over with my beliefs and the other religions out there. Satan did, afterall, use scripture to tempt Jesus in the gospels. I see that as a lesson that he could do the same to us. That is why I look up the idea of special/personal interpretation or continual revelation with uncertainty.

Are we of blind faith?
Hi Search,

I can only talk for myself but I woud say definitey yes, if one's faith cannot withstand scrutiny or analysis from within themselves, then there is a problem. Many may follow because they are told it is right and don't really know, thinking that it will be good for them, and maybe it will. This is why I am non-sectarian. I have the freedom of not being brought up in a particular sect of Christianity. In shopping around, I don't really find a doctrine that I don't have some questions about so I keep studying and pondering Christianity from an objective viewpoint. I was actually an atheist until my early twenties when I had some intense revelations. All i could really suggest to someone is to examine everything and see where you think you fit.

ThisShouldMakeSense

Terrywoodenpic said:
That may be true...But which one?
I prefer to believe God has opened many avenues to his kingdom.
The broadest of them is that taught by Jesus.
There may be many churches, but only one God one Son and one Holy spirit.
God will not Judge you on a set of beliefs, but how you live your lives.
The Example to follow was given to us in the Teachings of Jesus.

Terry____________________________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Well, Jesus said that there is only one faith. And it's funny you use the word 'broad', because he also said that broad is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones finding it. But narrow and cramped is the road leading to life and few are the ones on it.
And about God not judging on beliefs, I’m not sure you are right there. Didn't he say that his a jealous God, exacting exclusive devotion? So if your belief is to believe in a triune God, or that we can believe in the immortality of the soul, or in hell, or in sex before marriage, as long as we live good lives, then I’m not sure that you would agree with God's thinking on the matter.
Think of the Israelites at Mount Sinai. Didn't they not make a golden calf, and bow down to it? They called it a festival to God. So they thought they were ok in their beliefs, even calling the image the God that delivered them, but we know what God did about that.
So it is very important that we go about worshipping God in the right way. He said you must be Holy because I am Holy. Holy means clean. That means staying away from unclean false worship.
Speaking of false religion, Revelation 18:4 says 'Then I heard another voice from heaven shout, "My people, you must escape from Babylon (whihc means false religion). Don't take part in her sins and share her punishment.'

A

angellous_evangellous

Addressing the question of the OP: Are we of blind faith?

Who are "we?" How do you define "blind?" What is "faith?"

I suggest that faith in any god is belief in the supernatural. From the orthodox Christian point of view, God is the Creator and everything else is the created. We understand the created by natural means: the tools of science and philosophy. Since God is Creator, He is not reachable by the methods that we use to understand the created. Since we understand our world by science and philosophy, belief in God is "blind" to some extent to these basic tools. Fortunately, once God interacts with nature, He enters nature to some extent and is viewable somewhat through science and philosopy. That is, from the orthodox Christian point of view, God told humanity who He was through the prophets because we cannot reach him. These sayings are recorded in the Bible, and these sayings are interpreted in light of science and philosophy, with the understanding that it records something that science and philosophy cannot reach: the character of the Creator.

fromthe heart

I'm not so sure I'd call it blind faith since the scriptures DO say what we are to do,how we are to act and interact with others...we are to be Christ like...and Jesus said no one will see the kingdom of heaven without first accepting Jesus into their hearts, requesting that our sins be forgiven and be baptised with the Holy Spirit. Our faith is only blind if we do not get into the scriptures and see for ourselves just what it is God expects from us. Man can say anything and Satan uses that against us...picking and choosing is of Satans work. God wants ALL to know Him through the scriptures so we know right from wrong...so if we are living with blind faith then it's our own faults.:)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Searcher of Light said:
I have come to question my beliefs on a regular basis to affirm they are true. I have come to wonder if most people do the same. Have any of you done such on a regular basis and search out what others believe in addition to why they do so?
yes, regularly.

Searcher of Light said:
Do you question your doctrine and wonder if it is Truth? Do you follow all of the rituals of your belief without pondering if it is right in God's eyes? Do you wonder if your religion is perhaps just a lie from Satan?

Yes, I do have a reality check. Satan ain't coming anywhere near me - I have an ASBO (anti social behaviour order) out against him:D

Searcher of Light said:

Are we of blind faith?
I don't believe in Satan as such; I believe more that we have the ability to make wrong choices in the course of our day to day life, simply because we are frail and sinful humans. I have a faith; I do not believe it to be blind - except that it is blind when it comes to the point of 'proving it' to someone. I don't 'do' proofs.;)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I have come to question my beliefs on a regular basis to affirm they are true. I have come to wonder if most people do the same. Have any of you done such on a regular basis and search out what others believe in addition to why they do so?
yup...

Do you question your doctrine and wonder if it is Truth?
I try to questoin everything.

Do you follow all of the rituals of your belief without pondering if it is right in God's eyes?
Nope.

Do you wonder if your religion is perhaps just a lie from Satan?
Nope... Satan is just a character in a book IMHO.

wa:do

Cordoba

Well, if they teach something that has, say pagan or non christian origins, such as christmas or the trinity, then what you need to do is find out what God thinks about it.
Are you insinuating that the trinity is of pagan origin?

Does that mean you believe that the trinity is not what Jesus, peace be upon him, preached?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:
Nope... Satan is just a character in a book IMHO.

wa:do
I don't believe in Satan as such - but this subject has just reminded me that in Continental Europe, St Nicholas (who is the equivalent of father Christmas) is always accompanied by a 'bad' guy called (translated) 'Father whip' - i always found that gruesome.:help:

From Cordoba:
I suggest that this would happen if one feels they are no longer "convinced" as before. At that point it would be time to re-assess and do more reasearch, reading and thinking. Seeking more knowledge in a systematic and logical way (imo) is the key to finding the right way.
I agree, considering we are given minds with which to think we ought to use them.

From angellous_evangellous
Who are "we?" How do you define "blind?" What is "faith?"
"We" refers to everyone
"blind" refers to the unquestioning adherence to what we personally believe to be true
"faith" refers to any belief or nonbelief (should a person believe a nonbelief can exist) that guides our actions.

Satan's actions in the gospels could well be the representitive or humanity's capacity to be deluded by what they believe to be true.

I guess the major problem I have with many religions is how they believe they are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, not everyone can be correct. Religion should be purely an individual conviction that is apart from an institution. The institution is just composed of the individuals that seek the truth in a similar way. Instead, the institution becomes the truth. Salvation is not on a personal level as much as it is on an institutional level. Because of this, many people take what the institution says at its word without searching for themselves. Sometimes, they are unable to search because of that institution. For example, that institution can state questioning is a "sin" because it shows a lack of faith. Institutions can be a simple as a group of worshipers to as complex as a multiracial belief system. The institutions of any belief system can lead and reinforce blind personal faith. The nature of faith and the institutions of a faith prevents anyone from convincing another they are wrong. This closeness to the possibility of something being wrong in a belief system is what I deem a blindness.

Cordoba

Searcher of Light said:
From Cordoba:

I agree, considering we are given minds with which to think we ought to use them.
Indeed.

The human race has at least two special blessings from God: An advanced intellect which can reason on an abstract level (as well as on a practical level), and the freedom to believe or disbelieve.

I agree with you by the way that the trinity is of pagan origin, and this article titled "The trinity - A Muslim Perspective", by Abdul Hakim Murad from Cambridge, may be of interest:

http://www.islamfortoday.com/murad03.htm

All the best.

ThisShouldMakeSense

Cordoba said:
Are you insinuating that the trinity is of pagan origin?

Does that mean you believe that the trinity is not what Jesus, peace be upon him, preached?

strictly speaking, the trinity is not of pagan origin. Although there are teachings of a triune god in may religions. For instance, the Egyptians, i believe had triune gods, amongst others.
And no, i don't believe that Jesus preached the trinity. In fact, i'd say he preached the opposite. He never once said that he was equal with God. In fact the said that his head, as in the headship arrangement, was God.
He never said he knew everything. Matthew 24:36 although the trinity teaches that they are co-equal.

Also, i know that the notion of God having a son is strange or unacceptable to Muslims, but just to explain, Jesus is called God's son, because he's the first one he created. The rest of the angels are also called God's sons, just as we are called God's children. Colosians 1:15 says: 'He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.' which in itself shows that he was created. He it the image of God, not God himself.

there are many scriptures to back up that point.

pandamonk

Searcher of Light said:

Are we of blind faith?
I think that maybe Christian is, not a lie from Satan, but a lie from God. If you look through the bible, Satan does nothing greatly wrong, yet God kill many and causes many horrible things?

pandamonk

Wait that didn't come out right, i meant i think Christians should look at it like that. And should read up and maybe tally up all the evil-doings of God and evil-doings of Satan throughout the Bible. By evil-doings, i mean murderings(with or without reason), torture etc. Not like temptation etc. If I'm right then Satan was right to tempt God and Jesus anyway.

Cordoba

strictly speaking, the trinity is not of pagan origin. Although there are teachings of a triune god in may religions. For instance, the Egyptians, i believe had triune gods, amongst others.

Exactly.

And no, i don't believe that Jesus preached the trinity. In fact, i'd say he preached the opposite. He never once said that he was equal with God. In fact the said that his head, as in the headship arrangement, was God.
He never said he knew everything. Matthew 24:36 although the trinity teaches that they are co-equal.
Agreed.

Also, i know that the notion of God having a son is strange or unacceptable to Muslims, but just to explain, Jesus is called God's son, because he's the first one he created. The rest of the angels are also called God's sons, just as we are called God's children. Colosians 1:15 says: 'He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.' which in itself shows that he was created. He it the image of God, not God himself.

there are many scriptures to back up that point.
The first of God's creations was Adam. I think this is the propblem that some of our Christian friends forget. There is a reminder about it from in The Qur'an:

"Indeed, the example of Jesus to God is like that of Adam. He created him from dust, then He said "Be", and he was. The truth is from your Lord, so don't be among the doubters." (3:59-60)

Jesus the son of Mary, peace be upon him, was born by a miracle from a mother without a father, whereas Adam was directly created by God, with no father and no mother.

All the best.