• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we alone?

Just_me_Mike

I have watched a few videos and listened to scientist discuss the vastness of our universe. The fervor with which some of these scientists go about the subject is a bit mind boggling.
Admittedly it would be cool to see other life elsewhere, but I have to ask, who really gives a ****?
I mean there is life on this planet, and we utterly destroy it with our antiquated methods of living, why would anyone in their right mind want to find life elsewhere, and even hint at interacting with it?
I think it becomes clearer what a parasite we humans are when we think about other life and how we might interact with it.

At the end of the day, I get a big ol stinkin with from these scientists that it is their job to seem so excited about this subject and so eager to research the field, at least the ones that speak publicly about it, cause if they didn't their jobs and money would dry up. I mean really, with all the problems we have on Earth who really has time to give a **** about life elsewhere?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
At the end of the day, I get a big ol stinkin with from these scientists that it is their job to seem so excited about this subject and so eager to research the field, at least the ones that speak publicly about it, cause if they didn't their jobs and money would dry up. I mean really, with all the problems we have on Earth who really has time to give a **** about life elsewhere?

Worrying about all the problems we have here hasn't seemed to improve the situation.

mho123

Atheist
I have watched a few videos and listened to scientist discuss the vastness of our universe. The fervor with which some of these scientists go about the subject is a bit mind boggling.
Admittedly it would be cool to see other life elsewhere, but I have to ask, who really gives a ****?
I mean there is life on this planet, and we utterly destroy it with our antiquated methods of living, why would anyone in their right mind want to find life elsewhere, and even hint at interacting with it?
I think it becomes clearer what a parasite we humans are when we think about other life and how we might interact with it.

It's partly about human nature of seeking knowledge , exploring the unknown and curiosity . Partly because we worry that if something goes wrong on this planet ( which inevitably will) we should have a second option .
Imagine we would discover a life form millions of years more developed than us . To learn from them could mean a huge leap forward for humanity .
We know that this planet is not going to support life for a long time and we have to find solutions outside our atmosphere .that means space exploration and for that it means a lot of money . You can only get money for your billions costing space projects if only you can convince people by drawing their interest . And that is another part of the motivation behind it.

mho123

Atheist
Ah yes, so perpetuating distracting thoughts, budgets, and energy on "life elsewhere :sarcastic" might change that. Never thought about that way, thanks!

I believe money spent on space exploration , seeking life on other places than earth is every penny worth . It will take a long time to get the benefits from it but benefits are huge .

Erebus

I believe money spent on space exploration , seeking life on other places than earth is every penny worth . It will take a long time to get the benefits from it but benefits are huge .

Would it really be fair to introduce humanity to a poor new planet? Personally I think that until we've learned to look after this planet we don't deserve to step foot on another. Just my opinion of course ;)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Personally, it's just another illustration of the wide variety of human nature. Some are excited about it, some are bored by it, some are angry about it, some are scared by it, and some don't even notice. And all the possible permutations between.

Amill

Apikoros
Focusing soley on issues that will always exist here on earth sounds a bit depressing... Its not like one day all problems will be gone so that we can focus on fun stuff then. There will always be problems. Also, people can't really help their curiosity, so don't blame people for being interested in discovering life elsewhere.

David69

Angel Of The North
I beleive it is very important to invest in our future. weve got about 5 billion years or whatever before the earth and our sun complete there cycle (the earth core cools down so life is no longer possible also evolution will stop... the Sun expands and dishes out many more times heat and wil beltch it and gamma rays etc in our direction and will cremate planet earth.) What ever way, we are ******! But this is billions of years to do something about it!
I beleive you do care mike! What would you have made of what we have acheived today as a race, within only 200 years? There would be things today that couldnt have even been comprehended, understood and would be considered to be impossible back then!

Wow, 200 years to us is a long time but its nothing compared to 5 billion years. Look how far we come from nothing.
I beleive that time travel is possible because if a man can go back in time or forward in time to gain knowledge by the mind then it should also be possible to get out physical body into the future by the speed of light as does the speed of thought! We have a long time to acheive this.
I beleive that we are here because it is just part of the galaxy. There are many, many, galaxys formed in exactly the way that ours is forming today! Our galaxy is just a cog in an enormous for ever growing machine. I beleive there will be other life on other planets in galaxys much further afield than our nearest. It depends on where a particular galaxys cycle or formation is at.
Mars was a planet simular to ours at some point but its cycle was about twice as fast as earths.
Mars is half the size of Earth so its core cooled down twice as fast.
This natural God that makes this big machine with its cycles hasnt made us evolve for nothing or it wouldnt have created us. IMO

When we do things out of the ordinary that we would never of thought to have done and then something becomes of this for the better it is because it was always meant to be that way! and theres nothing to do to stop it from happening.
I have learned from years of experience of just waiting around for it to just happen is only negative to ones self. We are talking about our future and the way in through we ourselves will survive through the vessel that gets us there; our own d.n.a
We do live on Mike ...
Welcome to the machine!!! :)

Last edited:

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
To learn from them could mean a huge leap forward for humanity.

Thats why you should "give a $h1+. Unless you have no interest in things like curing cancer and abundant, cheap, renewable, clean energy. Who knows what we could learn?

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
Seems reasonable that there is life elsewhere, the universe is just too big to be empty of life.

Id say whether or not you believe in the Drake Equation or not depends largely on whether you believe creation or abiogenesis and evolution happened. If you think life arose here naturally, there are just way too many other planets to believe it hasnt happened elsewhere. If you think we were created, I suppose it could be considered that maybe god only did it in one place, although it seems silly to make such a vast universe then.

Peacewise

I think that it's irrelevant the method of life's beginnings as to whether there is life elsewhere in the universe. Either way, creation or abiogenesis I reckon life exists outside our solar system.

idea

Question Everything

I think the reason we haven't seen life elsewhere, is that all the other life forms are avoiding us. Once we get our acts together (if we get our acts together) other civilizations might finally be willing to talk to us :yes:

Levite

Higher and Higher

It's important, because if we could discover life elsewhere, it might shock and jar people here into realizing the value of the life around them. By encountering the differences between humans and another reasoning, advanced species, we might come to realize that the differences between ourselves are really quite small, and often petty.

And it is also important because a general rule of life is that it is better to know things than not to know them.