• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are There Any Religious Ascetics On These Forums?

Elihoenai

Galatians 6:17

17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

Are there any Religious Ascetics on these forums? If yes, how do you practice Religious Asceticism? To what end do you practice Religious Ascetism? Is the intent to draw near to Elohim/God?

Here is the Roman Catholic Brand:

The Da Vinci Code (2/8) Movie CLIP - Silas (2006) HD

Ethan Hawke "First Reformed"

Last edited by a moderator:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
All RF'ers claiming to be ascetics don't seem very credible to me when they show on the spot they are dependent on an electronic device with an internet connection.
Asceticism is about abstaining from worldly things such as sex, food, drink, etc.
A person can be ascetic and still use electronic devices to converse on a forum.

ascetic: characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=what+is+an+ascetic

Gargovic Malkav

Asceticism is about abstaining from worldly things such as sex, food, drink, etc.
A person can be ascetic and still use electronic devices to converse on a forum.

ascetic: characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons. what is an ascetic - Google Search
I know.
It was meant to be a joke.:D

Gargovic Malkav

True

Joke or not

Your post is true and accurate

I was thinking more of asceticism in degrees.
There are the kinds of ascetics who would live in caves or monasteries, and sleep on rock or wooden beds without mattresses or blankets.
I guess they are the "true ascetics".

If I'm not mistaken there is at least one RF member on here who may be considered a milder form of an ascetic(especially for Western standards).
I think he's a friar, as he uses the title "brother" when he refers to himself and usually posts in the Catholic DIR.
People like him live a somewhat ascetic lifestyle, although not as extreme as a monk.
But they do make vows of poverty and chastity.

@Mark Dohle if you're reading this, perhaps you could explain a bit more or correct me if I'm wrong. :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
There are the kinds of ascetics who would live in caves or monasteries, and sleep on rock or wooden beds without mattresses or blankets.
The key word in your "post #3" is the word
"dependant", hence I said you phrased it perfectly and accurately.

An ascetic is totally detached to the world, definitely not "dependant" on an electronic device with internet connection

BUT

Also not attached to sleep with/without mattresses or mistresses, as perfectly illustrated and explained in below little precious anecdote.

Maybe you have read the story about "the Monk and the disciple" in which the Monk carried a stunning beautiful damsel in distress across the river.
Monk and disciple carried on their walk, and after 7 days the young disciple could not contain himself any longer and said:
"Master, we vowed to live a life of celibacy, not even look or think of a woman, but you touched that woman and carried her in your arms across the river, how you explain that?".
Master quietly responded "I carried her for 1 minute across the river and then dropped her, you on the other hand carried her (in your mind) for already 1 week, you never dropped her, not even in your sleep"

ascetic
  1. characterized by severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.

Last edited:

Elihoenai

Asceticism doesn't have to include bodily mortification and injury, like the above examples you posted.

It's typically a much simpler process, of absconding from worldly attachments.

That's why I stated the examples is the Roman Catholic brand. Do you practice Asceticism? If yes, what is this simpler process? Are you absconding from worldly attachments?

Elihoenai

All RF'ers claiming to be ascetics don't seem very credible to me when they show on the spot they are dependent on an electronic device with an internet connection.

Any claims to being Ascetics over these forums won't sound credible to most because Ascetics are a dying breed and almost every person of the Billions that exist are really practicing Left-Hand Path Religion.

Elihoenai

If I'm not mistaken there is at least one RF member on here who may be considered a milder form of an ascetic(especially for Western standards).
I think he's a friar, as he uses the title "brother" when he refers to himself and usually posts in the Catholic DIR.
People like him live a somewhat ascetic lifestyle, although not as extreme as a monk.
But they do make vows of poverty and chastity.

@Mark Dohle if you're reading this, perhaps you could explain a bit more or correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Therefore, the more Extreme of an Ascetic you are makes you the True Ascetic. Another thing to consider is the persons purpose for practising Ascetism. There are Satanist Ascetics that practice in devotion to Devil/Satan.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Therefore, the more Extreme of an Ascetic you are makes you the True Ascetic

That is incorrect. There is no such thing as a "true" ascetic.

"characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.".

All you have to do is fit this definition. And remember everyone's definition of "severe" is slightly different.

Elihoenai

The key word in your "post #3" is the word
"dependant", hence I said you phrased it perfectly and accurately.

An ascetic is totally detached to the world, definitely not "dependant" on an electronic device with internet connection

BUT

Also not attached to sleep with/without mattresses or mistresses, as perfectly illustrated and explained in below little precious anecdote.

Maybe you have read the story about "the Monk and the disciple" in which the Monk carried a stunning beautiful damsel in distress across the river.
Monk and disciple carried on their walk, and after 7 days the young disciple could not contain himself any longer and said:
"Master, we vowed to live a life of celibacy, not even look or think of a woman, but you touched that woman and carried her in your arms across the river, how you explain that?".
Master quietly responded "I carried her for 1 minute across the river and then dropped her, you on the other hand carried her (in your mind) for already 1 week, you never dropped her, not even in your sleep"

1 Corinthians 7

7 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ, John the Baptist and the Apostle Paul are Giants of the Christian Faith that practice Celibacy.

Last edited:

Elihoenai

That's a bold claim.

Given the Highly Exalted Incomparable Standards of Elohim/God, the Religions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism are actually all Left-Hand Path Religions. You find this out when Elohim/God reveals the Original Christian Doctrine.

Gargovic Malkav

Given the Highly Exalted Incomparable Standards of Elohim/God, the Religions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism are actually all Left-Hand Path Religions. You find this out when Elohim/God reveals the Original Christian Doctrine.

I suspected you were going to say something like that.
Are you referring to the traditions of organized religions vs. what you actually find in the scriptures?
Or is what is revealed to you gained through other means, or do you consider yourself a follower of Left-Hand Path as well?

Elihoenai

That is incorrect. There is no such thing as a "true" ascetic.

"characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.".

All you have to do is fit this definition. And remember everyone's definition of "severe" is slightly different.

True Ascetism is measured by what a person prepared to give up in devotion to Elohim/God or Satanic Entity. Are you saying that a True Ascetic has never existed or that a True Ascetic does not exist today?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
True Ascetism is measured by what a person prepared to give up in devotion to Elohim/God or Satanic Entity. Are you saying that a True Ascetic has never existed or that a True Ascetic does not exist today?

He is saying that what makes a True Ascetic is in part subjective.