• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are There Any Religious Ascetics On These Forums?

Elihoenai

I suspected you were going to say something like that.
Are you referring to the traditions of organized religions vs. what you actually find in the scriptures?
Or is what is revealed to you gained through other means, or do you consider yourself a follower of Left-Hand Path as well?

2 Timothy 4:3

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Yes, the teachings in the Scriptures are actually different from the traditions of organised Religions. This is because the Masses cannot endure Sound Doctrine.

I'm still in the Left-Hand Path given my heritage and am transitioning to Right-Hand Path having seen the Original Christian Doctrine.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Yes, the teachings in the Scriptures are actually different from the traditions of organised Religions. This is because the Masses cannot endure Sound Doctrine.

I'm still in the Left-Hand Path given my heritage and is transitioning to Right-Hand Path having seen the Original Christian Doctrine.

Okay, so I am one of the Masses. Now what?

Elihoenai

What is your idea of an ascetic?
What do you mean by Left-Hand Path Religion?

Ascetism is the Mortification of the Flesh. Left-Hand Path Religions grow and maintain the Power of the Flesh.

Mortification of the flesh

Mortification of the flesh is an act by which an individual or group seeks to mortify or deaden their sinful nature, as a part of the process of sanctification.

Mortification of the flesh - Wikipedia

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
That's why I stated the examples is the Roman Catholic brand. Do you practice Asceticism? If yes, what is this simpler process? Are you absconding from worldly attachments?

I’d say that for the average person, life itself will provide sufficient hardship to allow for the opportunity to contemplate the extent of divine suffering and thereby, get closer to God.

However, when one spends much time in seclusion - as do certain monks (and myself at times, as hermit) - it happens that one’s detachment from worldliness leads one to forget the sufferings there. Then, it becomes important to find ways to remind oneself of the feeling; lest one should lose touch with the circumstances of one’s fellow beings. Some choose to do this through the causing of physical agony to self. I don’t consider it necessary.

In seclusion, my asceticism is both physical and emotional, in that I abstain entirely from connection to otherness so that my focus is wholly on God. When not in seclusion, my asceticism consists of a minimalistic lifestyle in which I distinguish between my needs and my wants and see that my needs are very few. But I connect with others and dedicate myself to them.

Humbly
Hermit

Gargovic Malkav

I'm still in the Left-Hand Path given my heritage and am transitioning to Right-Hand Path having seen the Original Christian Doctrine.

May God help you do the right thing.
And I hope your choice does not cause you to despise people, like some may despise you for believing and practicing things that may go against everything Western and/or Modern society stands for, and make you a paranoid victim of a persecution complex, which I think is quite common for people in your position.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
True Ascetism is measured by what a person prepared to give up in devotion to Elohim/God or Satanic Entity. Are you saying that a True Ascetic has never existed or that a True Ascetic does not exist today?
No, I am sure that ascetics exist today.
One is not either a True Ascetic of not ascetic at all, there are degrees of asceticism.
The opposite of asceticism is materialism, and there are also degrees of materialism.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Asceticism is about abstaining from worldly things such as sex, food, drink, etc.

That maybe in a tradition you are more familiar with. Not necessarily applicable to all. Particularly not in the Islamic tradition. And not even in the Buddhist tradition though they abstain from sex, but their tradition of Pindapaatha is all about food. Even the Buddha taught to take the madhyama prathipadha and he stopped his so called "dushkara kriya" because it doesnt make sense.

So It's different for different faiths and people I guess.

Elihoenai

I’d say that for the average person, life itself will provide sufficient hardship to allow for the opportunity to contemplate the extent of divine suffering and thereby, get closer to God.

However, when one spends much time in seclusion - as do certain monks (and myself at times, as hermit) - it happens that one’s detachment from worldliness leads one to forget the sufferings there. Then, it becomes important to find ways to remind oneself of the feeling; lest one should lose touch with the circumstances of one’s fellow beings. Some choose to do this through the causing of physical agony to self. I don’t consider it necessary.

In seclusion, my asceticism is both physical and emotional, in that I abstain entirely from connection to otherness so that my focus is wholly on God. When not in seclusion, my asceticism consists of a minimalistic lifestyle in which I distinguish between my needs and my wants and see that my needs are very few. But I connect with others and dedicate myself to them.

Humbly
Hermit

1 Peter 4:15

15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

John 17:14-15

14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

1) The average person suffers as an Evildoer. Sufferings that bring closer to Elohim/God are different from what the average person experiences.

2) In John 17 Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ instructs about how to Detach from the World while still maintaining connection with those in the World. There are some Monks that totally detach from those in the World in a secluded Monastery and there are others that remain and does work in the Community. It is evident to me that that the latter is more difficult because temptations of Sinners. What do you think?

3) What is your Religion? Do you have Scriptures that instructs about how to practice Ascetism? Is your Ascetism about self-denial? If about self-denial, what sort of things do you deny yourself?

@Hermit Philosopher Your contribution is much appreciated.

Elihoenai

May God help you do the right thing.
And I hope your choice does not cause you to despise people, like some may despise you for believing and practicing things that may go against everything Western and/or Modern society stands for, and make you a paranoid victim of a persecution complex, which I think is quite common for people in your position.

2 Timothy 3:12

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

For a Christian Persecution is a Good Sign. When a Christian is not Persecuted it means that they are in Error and teaching False Doctrine. Happy to say because of my ultra strict Religious Morals I'm on the receiving end of 24/7 Satanic Ritual Abuse.

Gangstalking Freemasons Targeted Individuals And Prayer
Gangstalking Freemasons Targeted Individuals And Prayer

Elihoenai

No, I am sure that ascetics exist today.
One is not either a True Ascetic of not ascetic at all, there are degrees of asceticism.
The opposite of asceticism is materialism, and there are also degrees of materialism.

I broadly agree with the statements above. I was making the point that the more strict the Ascetism the Truer the Ascetic because of the Greater Commitment and Sacrifice.

The opposite of Asceticism being Materialism is Christian Doctrine. Yes, there are degrees of Materialism and Materialism is the Left-Hand Path.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
1 Peter 4:15

15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

John 17:14-15

14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

1) The average person suffers as an Evildoer. Sufferings that bring closer to Elohim/God are different from what the average person experiences.

2) In John 17 Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ instructs about how to Detach from the World while still maintaining connection with those in the World. There are some Monks that totally detach from those in the World in a secluded Monastery and there are others that remain and does work in the Community. It is evident to me that that the latter is more difficult because temptations of Sinners. What do you think?

3) What is your Religion? Do you have Scriptures that instructs about how to practice Ascetism? Is your Ascetism about self-denial? If about self-denial, what sort of things do you deny yourself?

@Hermit Philosopher Your contribution is much appreciated.

Dear Elihoenai,

1) I’d say that only a murderer for example, can truly tap into what a murderer feels (sufferings, etc) before/during/after their act of murder and only God shall judge their feelings (sufferings, etc) and what it leads them to in the future - to say that the “average person” knows the sufferings of -for instance- a murderer, is not correct, I think.

Suffering -of any kind- can always be received as an opportunity to deeper understand the totality of - and to thereby feel with - Divine (universal) suffering. Whether sufferings bring us closer to God in this manner, has not to do with the “sort” of suffering, but with how we choose to receive it in our souls.

2) I’d say that I agree; to live in God is far harder amidst of worldliness, because as humans, we must then battle with our ego and its own will. Worldliness is distracting to the following of Divine Will.

3) I do not belong to a church - I have a strong personal and active faith; not a religion. I do however study scripture - from many faiths, so that their likeness in spirit is made clear to me. The practice of asceticism is a natural way of life resulting from the faith that I have. It is a matter of knowing the difference between a need and a want and, of choosing to discard the latter, not for the purpose of self-denial (although the self, to me, is a temporality), but because doing so is the only thing that makes sense to do in light of my view on existence as a whole.

Humbly
Hermit

Elihoenai

Dear Elihoenai,

1) I’d say that only a murderer for example, can truly tap into what a murderer feels (sufferings, etc) before/during/after their act of murder and only God shall judge their feelings (sufferings, etc) and what it leads them to in the future - to say that the “average person” knows the sufferings of -for instance- a murderer, is not correct, I think.

Suffering -of any kind- can always be received as an opportunity to deeper understand the totality of - and to thereby feel with - Divine (universal) suffering. Whether sufferings bring us closer to God in this manner, has not to do with the “sort” of suffering, but with how we choose to receive it in our souls.

2) I’d say that I agree; to live in God is far harder amidst of worldliness, because as humans, we must then battle with our ego and its own will. Worldliness is distracting to the following of Divine Will.

3) I do not belong to a church - I have a strong personal and active faith; not a religion. I do however study scripture - from many faiths, so that their likeness in spirit is made clear to me. The practice of asceticism is a natural way of life resulting from the faith that I have. It is a matter of knowing the difference between a need and a want and, of choosing to discard the latter, not for the purpose of self-denial (although the self, to me, is a temporality), but because doing so is the only thing that makes sense to do in light of my view on existence as a whole.

Humbly
Hermit

1) Every person has been a Sinner and, therefore, knows the suffering of a Murderer. If you have not committed one of the Grave Sins you know the suffering to a lesser degree. I will also slip in here that I support the Death Penalty for those that commit murder. There is sufferings towards the Flesh/Sin and Sufferings towards the Spirit. These have different Purposes and States of Being.

Sufferings due to Sin can lead to repentance toward Elohim/God.

2) The Battle with Sin is Internal and External. You will find yourself in a War with Devil Worshippers having ceased from External Sins and Elohim/God having revealed the Original Christian Doctrine.

3) I'm a Christian that is an outcast from the Denominational and Non-Denomination Churches. I don't belong to or attend a Church. Don't you believe that you must Deny/Mortify the Flesh? What is a Need and what is a Want from your perspective?

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Don't you believe that you must Deny/Mortify the Flesh?

No. Sorry, I do not. Especially not for sake of denial per se.

The denial, for me, comes from knowing that we are not our bodies and that the “vessel” by which we sense, if you will, is only just that - a vessel.

What is a Need and what is a Want from your perspective?

Well, if your vessel were a car and you’re traveling from A to B by and you constantly smash your car and deny it what it needs to function, you’re not going to get very far. That said, adorning it and equipping it with the latest technology and finesses, would be a mere want; not a need.

Humbly
Hermit

Elihoenai

No. Sorry, I do not. Especially not for sake of denial per se.

The denial, for me, comes from knowing that we are not our bodies and that the “vessel” by which we sense, if you will, is only just that - a vessel.

No need to apologise. Your beliefs are your beliefs. I see differently and disagree all the time with others that are Religious and that's why I'm an outcast from 2.2 Billions in Christendom.

Well, if your vessel were a car and you’re traveling from A to B by and you constantly smash your car and deny it what it needs to function, you’re not going to get very far. That said, adorning it and equipping it with the latest technology and finesses, would be a mere want; not a need.

Humbly
Hermit

1) Is Sex a Want or a Need. Do you have Sex?
2) Is having children a Want or a Need? Do you have children?
3) Is marrying a Want or a Need? Are your married?
4) Is eating meat a Want or a Need? Do you eat meat?
5) Is drinking Alcohol a Want or a Need? Do you drink Alcohol?
6) Is smoking a Want or a Need? Do you smoke cigarettes or cigars?
7) Is going to parties of night clubs a Want or a Need? Do you attend parties and night clubs?
8) Is watching TV a Want or a Need? Do you watch TV?
9) Is listening to music a Want or a Need? Do you listen to music?

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
1) Is Sex a Want or a Need. Do you have Sex?
2) Is having children a Want or a Need? Do you have children?
3) Is marrying a Want or a Need? Are your married?
4) Is eating meat a Want or a Need? Do you eat meat?
5) Is drinking Alcohol a Want or a Need? Do you drink Alcohol?
6) Is smoking a Want or a Need? Do you smoke cigarettes or cigars?
7) Is going to parties of night clubs a Want or a Need? Do you attend parties and night clubs?
8) Is watching TV a Want or a Need? Do you watch TV?
9) Is listening to music a Want or a Need? Do you listen to music?

Dear Elihoenai,

I’m not used to this many questions in one go, but I’ll do my best to answer them.

1) Sometimes it is a mutual want and sometimes it is a mutual need and with a little luck, it is both a mutual want and need all at once. There is nothing bad, shallow or meaningless in the physical union of two people who love each other. If worldliness were celibate; it would cease to be.

2) Sometimes it is a mutual want and sometimes it is a mutual need and, with a little luck, it is both a mutual want and need all at once. Regardless, children are first and foremost a blessing. They will enrich your life and, if you allow them, they will teach you many things - both spiritual and worldly - that you could never teach them about.

3) It is a cultural custom, not a need.

4) Eating is a need. What you eat is down to chance, custom and choice. How much you choose to eat; that could be a matter of greed …but also genes, health, habit, etc.

5) If consuming alcohol has become a need, it has become an illness; one of those that cannot be cured against the patient’s own will. And some will simply not choose the cure.

6) Same as 5.

7) 8) 9) These are cultural customs, not needs.

Having said that; the experience of partaking in cultural customs such as marriage, club-life, tv-watching, music-listening, etc, may in a roundabout sort of way, indeed result in a deeper spiritual understanding, wisdom and desire to live in God.

God calls each one of us in different ways and I would not be so quick to judge the paths walked by other if I were you.

Humbly
Hermit

Elihoenai

Dear Elihoenai,

I’m not used to this many questions in one go, but I’ll do my best to answer them.

1) Sometimes it is a mutual want and sometimes it is a mutual need and with a little luck, it is both a mutual want and need all at once. There is nothing bad, shallow or meaningless in the physical union of two people who love each other. If worldliness were celibate; it would cease to be.

2) Sometimes it is a mutual want and sometimes it is a mutual need and, with a little luck, it is both a mutual want and need all at once. Regardless, children are first and foremost a blessing. They will enrich your life and, if you allow them, they will teach you many things - both spiritual and worldly - that you could never teach them about.

3) It is a cultural custom, not a need.

4) Eating is a need. What you eat is down to chance, custom and choice. How much you choose to eat; that could be a matter of greed …but also genes, health, habit, etc.

5) If consuming alcohol has become a need, it has become an illness; one of those that cannot be cured against the patient’s own will. And some will simply not choose the cure.

6) Same as 5.

7) 8) 9) These are cultural customs, not needs.

Having said that; the experience of partaking in cultural customs such as marriage, club-life, tv-watching, music-listening, etc, may in a roundabout sort of way, indeed result in a deeper spiritual understanding, wisdom and desire to live in God.

God calls each one of us in different ways and I would not be so quick to judge the paths walked by other if I were you.

Humbly
Hermit

Given your answers, you are practising Left-Hand Path Religion. I thought a Hermit was meant to Renounce Worldliness.

To round off with Divine 10 Want and Need questions:

10) Is taking Drugs or Herbs a Want or a Need? Do you take Drugs or Herbs? Some Religious Practitioners use Drugs and/or Herbs to enhance Religious Experience.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Given your answers, you are practising Left-Hand Path Religion. I thought a Hermit was meant to Renounce Worldliness.

No. Think what you will of me but in my own view, I do not practise anything but pure, unadorned, personal faith.

I am not a full-time Hermit and was certainly not born one - I have had a very ordinary life before coming to God. Since then, I retreat into solitude for long periods of time, go out into the world, practise what I learn in solitude and then retreat again with my new experiences, to continue to learn more in solitude. It’s very basic, really.

10) Is taking Drugs or Herbs a Want or a Need? Do you take Drugs or Herbs? Some Religious Practitioners use Drugs and/or Herbs to enhance Religious Experience.

No, no drugs necessary for what I do.

Humbly
Hermit

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ascetism is the Mortification of the Flesh. Left-Hand Path Religions grow and maintain the Power of the Flesh.

Mortification of the flesh

Mortification of the flesh is an act by which an individual or group seeks to mortify or deaden their sinful nature, as a part of the process of sanctification.

Mortification of the flesh - Wikipedia
I'm not aware if Flagellation is still even a thing today. I'm fairly sure there care some individuals around though that do it.