• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are soul and spirit the same?What are they in bible context?

SOUL
Hebrew word nephesh or the Greek word psykhe
basically refers to people, animals, or the life that a person or an animal has

1.People
[COLOR=var(--du-color--textDefault, #292929)]"This is the word that Jehovah has commanded, ‘Pick up some of it, each one in proportion to his eating. YOU are to take an omer measure for each individual according to the number of the souls that each of YOU has in his tent."- Ex 16:16[/COLOR]

"Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God." Rom- 13:1

2. Animals
“Then God said: ‘Let the waters swarm with living souls..."Gen 1:20

3. Life of a person
“All the men who were seeking your soul, are dead.” Exodus 4:19

"I am the fine shepherd; the fine shepherd surrenders his life soul in behalf of the sheep.” John 10:11

SPIRIT
Hebrew word ruach or the Greek word pneuma. Means breath, force

Note that the life(soul) without spirit dies.

“If you [Jehovah] take away their spirit [ruʹach], they die and return to the dust.” Psalm 104:29

"Indeed, just as the body without spirit is dead..." James 2:26

“I am going to bring floodwaters upon the earth to destroy from under the heavens all flesh that has the breath [ruʹach] of life.” Genesis 6:17

“The dust of his body returns to the earth, just as it was, and the spirit returns to the true God who gave it.” Eccl 12:7

Elihoenai

SOUL

1.People
[COLOR=var(--du-color--textDefault, #292929)]"This is the word that Jehovah has commanded, ‘Pick up some of it, each one in proportion to his eating. YOU are to take an omer measure for each individual according to the number of the souls that each of YOU has in his tent."- Ex 16:16[/COLOR]

"Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God." Rom- 13:1

2. Animals

3. Life of a person

"I am the fine shepherd; the fine shepherd surrenders his life soul in behalf of the sheep.” John 10:11

SPIRIT

“If you [Jehovah] take away their spirit [ruʹach], they die and return to the dust.” Psalm 104:29

“I am going to bring floodwaters upon the earth to destroy from under the heavens all flesh that has the breath [ruʹach] of life.” Genesis 6:17

“The dust of his body returns to the earth, just as it was, and the spirit returns to the true God who gave it.” Eccl 12:7
1 Corinthians 15:45

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Critical Question to Meditate On.

No, Soul and Spirit are Not the same. The Soul is the Step Between Flesh and Spirit. Apart from a Few hundred/thousand Elect throughout the generations, every Man/Woman on Planet Cherishes life in the Flesh. Elohim/God is Flesh, Soul and Spirit. The Devil/Satan is Elohim/God in its Lowest Form.

Elohim's/God's Ladder:
Flesh->Soul-Spirit

Muffled

Jesus in me

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

No, Soul and Spirit are Not the same. The Soul is the Step Between Flesh and Spirit. Apart from a Few hundred/thousand Elect throughout the generations, every Man/Woman on Planet Cherishes life in the Flesh. Elohim/God is Flesh, Soul and Spirit. The Devil/Satan is Elohim/God in its Lowest Form.

Elohim's/God's Ladder:
Flesh->Soul-Spirit
I believe there is no evidence for that. Adam became more than just a body when spirit was added and he became a soul.

I believe there is no evidence for that. Adam became more than just a body when spirit was added and he became a soul.
The evidence is that scripture. An easier translation may help....

'So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living person.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.'"

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince

Elohim's/God's Ladder:
Flesh->Soul-Spirit
Who is saying that Soul and Spirit are the same thing?

And what are the words that you think are saying that Soul is the same as Spirit?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are soul and spirit the same?
I can give you a skeptic's take - how I understand those words when I read them. It's not biblical or based in scripture.

They both mean disembodied minds, so yes, they are the same when referring to the difference between a living thing and a dead one, where it is imagined that a soul - the breath of life - was once injected from above and which later escaped to return to somewhere. In this sense the words mean about the same as a life force or elan vital - force or principle of nature that invades and animates complex organic matter. From this we get ideas like demon infestation, being filled with the Holy Spirit, and fleshy avatars of gods.

But this is an illusion. We see a living body die and do a subtraction, the difference being the missing spirit. But this is wrong. Nothing went away just as when a candle flickers out, the flame doesn't leave it and migrate elsewhere. The flame is generated by the candle, not a external essence called in whenever somebody puts fire to wick. And what is called the spirit or soul in man is generated by the brain and flickers out when the brain ceased generating mind.

I can give you a skeptic's take - how I understand those words when I read them. It's not biblical or based in scripture.

They both mean disembodied minds, so yes, they are the same when referring to the difference between a living thing and a dead one, where it is imagined that a soul - the breath of life - was once injected from above and which later escaped to return to somewhere. In this sense the words mean about the same as a life force or elan vital - force or principle of nature that invades and animates complex organic matter. From this we get ideas like demon infestation, being filled with the Holy Spirit, and fleshy avatars of gods.

But this is an illusion. We see a living body die and do a subtraction, the difference being the missing spirit. But this is wrong. Nothing went away just as when a candle flickers out, the flame doesn't leave it and migrate elsewhere. The flame is generated by the candle, not a external essence called in whenever somebody puts fire to wick. And what is called the spirit or soul in man is generated by the brain and flickers out when the brain ceased generating mind.
Over the centuries those words have come to have different meanings/beliefs than the original. When discussing these words in scriptural context its important to know what they meant then, not what people think it means now. When we put todays beliefs on them we come up with different teachings than the original had in mind- hence 1,000s of different sects from the same bible.

One example of this is "shambles".
"Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake"- 1 Cor 10:25

"Eat whatever is sold in a meat market, making no inquiry because of your conscience"

So the original meanings for either soul or spirit after one dies wouldnt mean "disembodied mind" as that gives the impression the mind goes on without the body. Scripturally speaking the mind ceases to exist at death...that is until its resurrected- which isnt until after the great tribulation.

I respect your freedom to believe what you choose to. Im just putting it in original context. Its especially import when trying to understand scripture accurately.

Elihoenai

Are you saying that 1 Corinthians 15:45 is not evidence? What do you believe to be the difference between Body/Flesh and Soul? Are you saying that you believe Soul and Spirit to be the Same?

Last edited:

Elihoenai

Who is saying that Soul and Spirit are the same thing?

And what are the words that you think are saying that Soul is the same as Spirit?
Did you read the title of this thread? This is the title: Are soul and spirit the same? What are they in bible context?

My response is answer to the title of this thread.

Elihoenai

Over the centuries those words have come to have different meanings/beliefs than the original. When discussing these words in scriptural context its important to know what they meant then, not what people think it means now. When we put todays beliefs on them we come up with different teachings than the original had in mind- hence 1,000s of different sects from the same bible.

One example of this is "shambles".
"Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake"- 1 Cor 10:25

"Eat whatever is sold in a meat market, making no inquiry because of your conscience"

So the original meanings for either soul or spirit after one dies wouldnt mean "disembodied mind" as that gives the impression the mind goes on without the body. Scripturally speaking the mind ceases to exist at death...that is until its resurrected- which isnt until after the great tribulation.

I respect your freedom to believe what you choose to. Im just putting it in original context. Its especially import when trying to understand scripture accurately.
2 Corinthians 2:17

17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Yes, the Original teachings of the Holy Scriptures/Bible has been Corrupted and Lost and Must be Recovered.

Soapy

Did you read the title of this thread? This is the title: Are soul and spirit the same? What are they in bible context?

My response is answer to the title of this thread.
Hi, I’m not understanding?

Are YOU saying (my question to you…!) that Soul and Spirit are the same things…

I asked only ‘WHO’ (in this forum and also those from the Scriptures) is saying this? And ‘WHAT’ are the words Saying/Showing that Soul and Spirit are the same things?

Those were my questions?

Soapy

2 Corinthians 2:17

17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Yes, the Original teachings of the Holy Scriptures/Bible has been Corrupted and Lost and Must be Recovered.
Sadly, the majority of people, especially those of any type of Three in one (Trinitarian) or One in Three (Unitarian), have not received the knowledge of the directive from Jesus Christ to be aware of the corruption. Where the corrupted scriptures are plain to see, they take it as ‘Gospel’ that the corruption is ‘Truth’.

amazing grace

Sadly, the majority of people, especially those of any type of Three in one (Trinitarian) or One in Three (Unitarian), have not received the knowledge of the directive from Jesus Christ to be aware of the corruption. Where the corrupted scriptures are plain to see, they take it as ‘Gospel’ that the corruption is ‘Truth’.
Hi Soapy - just for clarification - Unitarians are Christians who reject the idea of the Trinity and believe that God is a single being.

Elihoenai

Hi, I’m not understanding?

Are YOU saying (my question to you…!) that Soul and Spirit are the same things…

I asked only ‘WHO’ (in this forum and also those from the Scriptures) is saying this? And ‘WHAT’ are the words Saying/Showing that Soul and Spirit are the same things?

Those were my questions?
This is what every person on the planet should be discussing.

It's generally believed that the Soul is the same as the Spirit. In the Dictionary and Wikipedia the Soul is the Same as the Spirit.

The teaching of the Holy Scriptures/Bible is that the Soul and the Spirit is Not the same. The Soul and the Spirit is Not the same.

soul

noun
the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part.

Soul

In many religious and philosophical traditions, the soul is the spiritual essence of a person
, which includes one's identity, personality, and memories, an immaterial aspect or essence of a living being that is believed to be able to survive physical death. The concept of the soul is generally applied to humans, though it can also be applied to other living or even non-living entities, as in animism.

What is your position on the Soul and the Spirit? Do you agree with the Dictionary and Wikipedia?

Last edited:

Elihoenai

Job 19:26

26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

We are talking about Soul and Spirit in this thread. Elohim/God is All Things, therefore. the Son of Elohim/God is Elohim/God. When you, @Soapy, understand that the True Elohim/God is Omni, you will not be able to deny that All Things are the Offspring of Elohim/God.

Elohim/God is Flesh, Soul and Spirit.

Elihoenai

Hi Soapy - just for clarification - Unitarians are Christians who reject the idea of the Trinity and believe that God is a single being.
Ephesians 4:6

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

The True Elohim/God is Not Limited in any way. Elohim/God Manifests as Single Being to one group, as Trinity to Another and as a Pantheon to others. Elohim/God Manifests in different ways to different people.

Brian2

Veteran Member
SOUL

1.People

2. Animals

3. Life of a person

SPIRIT

Soul and spirit have different meanings in different parts of the Bible.
Does a person's soul die when their body is killed?
Does the spirit in a person know anything?

Soapy

That’s great to hear. Three persons as one God is blasphemous. YHWH God is one God… alone.

It amazes me how trinity claims that their God is alone as three persons…. AND that their God is one person yet three persons…

And the great deeds of almighty God are attributed to one of humanity - even if that one is called, ‘Son of God’. It makes no difference to Trinitarians that ‘SON’ in spiritual terms, means:
  • ‘One who does the works of their Father’
  • ‘One who is led by the Spirit of the Father’
Hence Jesus says:
  • I did not call myself God. … I only said that GOD IS MY FATHER and I am doing the works my Father sent me to do, if I’m not doing them then at least believe by the works themselves!’ (Paraphrased!) Sad to say but Trinitarians cannot bring themselves to admit that it is PAGAN BELIEF that claims that “A son is equal to his Father”… and how can it be that he who receives from his father is equal to his Father who gave to him??
In fact, NO ONE EVER actually called Jesus ‘[Almighty] GOD’… ever!!!