• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people who follow Islam believers?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
They have a religion called Islam, and they are called Muslims. They belief that Muhammed (pbuh) is a prophet etc. Its all belief based.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
They actually believe that their God is the same that Christians believe in, but its message better preserved in Islam than in Christianity.

Somehow I feel that the core of the OP's question is flying happily over my head, though.

BeckyRose1998

PICKLES THE KID
A Muslim's understanding of God is closer to Judaism than Christianity: There is no Trinity in Islam.
From what I can tell(this is my opinion), Islam and Christianity are more alike.
They both believe in God and the after life is similar.
Christianity-Eternal Heaven or Eternal Hell
Islam-Eternal Paradise or eternal Hell
(We made a religion chart in global studies-this is from the teacher.)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
BeckyRose1998 said:
But, they believe in one God, Allah. Isn't that God like the Christian's God?
Its often considered to be the same, but Muslims consider Allah as presented by Muhammad as a more accurate description of God. They think Christians believe in Allah but that Christians shouldn't believe in the Trinity. Its a very old disagreement. Some Muslims believe that certain Christian activities are the sin of idolatry. Some think it is only that Christians are confused, but in general it is considered a sin for a Muslim to believe in the Trinity like a Christian.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
From what I can tell(this is my opinion), Islam and Christianity are more alike.
They both believe in God and the after life is similar.
Christianity-Eternal Heaven or Eternal Hell
Islam-Eternal Paradise or eternal Hell
(We made a religion chart in global studies-this is from the teacher.)

The religion as a whole, yes.
But I commented only on the understanding of God. Like Jews, Muslims reject the idea of the Trinity and tend to see it as a break from monotheism.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
From what I understand from both Jews and Muslims they consider these two religions closer to each other than to Christianity, which many Muslims consider to be almost on the level of paganism, while they consider Judaism to still be monotheistic.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Are people who follow Islam believers?
Ah yeah, but to answer the question. Muslims believe in the God of Abraham, they believe that the Jewish and Christian scriptures were divinely inspired but were corrupted by men. They believe in the prophets of the Jews, they believe that Jesus was also a prophet and messenger of God but only a mortal man and that Muhammad was greater.
So in general, Muslims view the Qur'an as the final revelation and Islam as the true religion.
Technically the three Abrahamic religions talk about the same God, patriarchs, and prophets, but not without contradictions. Some of the biggest obstacles to bridge Christianity and Islam is elevating Jesus to a divine status, or applying epithets such as the 'Son of God' to him, or the trinity. All of which are seen as violating monotheism. There are many other technical challenges and differences, I guess it all depends how much a person considers the bigger picture, roots, and similarities Vs. how much a person is hung up on dogma.

For example if a Christian cannot accept the fact that Muslims reject Jesus' divinity, or even crucifixion he/she will have a hard time calling Muslims 'believers'. However if a Christian believe these are theological technicalities, and that in the bigger picture Jews, Christians, and Muslims all aspire to follow the same One God they can easily find shared similarities. At the end of the day we all read scriptures and religion differently and reach different conclusions.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Christianity is filled with Hellenic influences and according to most Jews and Muslims is highly pagan. The actual structure of Judaism and Islam are exceedingly similar in their way of handling the text as well.
Primary book (Tawrat and Qur'an) then outside commentary (Talmud and Hadith).

The very nature of the god is similar and the fact is that Islam dwells more on the Tanakh then new testament. The only new Testament characters present int he Qur'an are Jesus and Mary almost.