• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people "afraid" of the lifestyle of the past?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I highly recommend taking some master gardening classes and just about any agricultural class you can. And I wouldn't try with anything less than a full acre of property per person, on grid for at least 1-5 years before going off grid (especially if using orchards or soil needs treatment first) with agricultural zone knowledge and at least six months supply and several emergency backup plans. I agree, subsistence living isn't something you can do out of a van.
I have no land to do agriculture on :) I will only have a van or a bus I will live out of. i may not be able to live a very rich life the way i planning to live, but it will be ok for me.

I can only afford to buy a van/small bus and it will be an old one. but that is all i need

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no land to do agriculture on :) I will only have a van or a bus I will live out of. i may not be able to live a very rich life the way i planning to live, but it will be ok for me.
Imo you wont be able to be fully self sufficient with just a van or bus. You can offset your grocery costs but not grow enough food to be sustainable. Especially not with organic methods. Which is fine, you'll still be more sustainable than those with no garden.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Personally I don't want to try to live a self-sufficient lifestyle. I don't really think it's possible these days in any event.

I know people who have lived in rural areas that thought twice when someone needed a specialized medical facility, for example.

I do think it's good to not live too frantic a life though.

So here I am, back at moderation again.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I can only afford to buy a van/small bus and it will be an old one. but that is all i need
Do you have mechanic's & other skills & tools to handle your modifications & repairs?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do you have mechanic's & other skills & tools to handle your modifications & repairs?
I have basic knowledge, but if something goes wrong in the engine I would need a garage to look at it. But bodywork or other maintenance would be something I can do my self.
My father was a mechanic for cars so I did learn some from him. so smaller repairs I would be able to do even on the engine

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have basic knowledge, but if something goes wrong in the engine I would need a garage to look at it. But bodywork or other maintenance would be something I can do my self.
My father was a mechanic for cars so I did learn some from him. so smaller repairs I would be able to do even on the engine
Sounds good enuf to me.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sounds good enuf to me.
I know I have many things I have to become better at, but as a start, I am sure I have the skill needed. and I still have friends who could help if I really needed it. but I do want to be self-sufficient, at least as much as possible. but I am not going to be too extreme either

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know I have many things I have to become better at, but as a start, I am sure I have the skill needed. and I still have friends who could help if I really needed it. but I do want to be self-sufficient, at least as much as possible. but I am not going to be too extreme either
I find it essential to depend upon friends who are more capable.