• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people "afraid" of the lifestyle of the past?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The more I read about it and the more I prepare for living "off-grid" the more I am sure it is how I want to do it in the near future (this summer).
But often when I speak about it with others, they either write back to me like I have become crazy or if I speak with people in my current neighborhood, they look strangely at me and ask, why do you want to make you're live more difficult? So I wonder if they are afraid of a bit more hard work in their private life. Or is it that they have become so addicted to the "easy way" that as soon someone wants to take away the connection internet gives us (on a digital platform) they see that person as crazy.

But what is so wrong with the good old way? What is it that we think is so much better today?

And you ask me, what is so good about the old way? To me, it means I must slow down, think more for my self. make choices that are a plan for only one day. growing food that is without toxic chemicals sprayed on the food. Being less worried, being self-supported, being able to travel because I will live in a van or bus and not a house.
Life becomes more peaceful that way to me. will it work for others? maybe not.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As the old adage goes, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade". To me, I agree with you, as "getting back to basics" is what we probably should be doing. Hey, maybe we'll all be hippies soon? :eek:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The more I read about it and the more I prepare for living "off-grid" the more I am sure it is how I want to do it in the near future (this summer).
But often when I speak about it with others, they either write back to me like I have become crazy or if I speak with people in my current neighborhood, they look strangely at me and ask, why do you want to make you're live more difficult? So I wonder if they are afraid of a bit more hard work in their private life. Or is it that they have become so addicted to the "easy way" that as soon someone wants to take away the connection internet gives us (on a digital platform) they see that person as crazy.

But what is so wrong with the good old way? What is it that we think is so much better today?

And you ask me, what is so good about the old way? To me, it means I must slow down, think more for my self. make choices that are a plan for only one day. growing food that is without toxic chemicals sprayed on the food. Being less worried, being self-supported, being able to travel because I will live in a van or bus and not a house.
Life off the grid has its appeal.
But the only time I hear about it is from people using
a computer hooked up to the internet. Are you ready
to give that up for a more Amish lifestyle?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As the old adage goes, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade". To me, I agree with you, as "getting back to basics" is what we probably should be doing. Hey, maybe we'll all be hippies soon? :eek:
Then i hope we will be happy hippies :) Or should that be Happy hippos :confused:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I was homeless for a while, living out in the wilds. I built myself a shelter it wasn't much though. Always had a desire to have a mobile shelter of some kind. Never know when you might end up homeless again.

But I got to tell you, constant running water, electricity, the ability to take a shower, sit on a toilet as long as you want, it's all kind of nice. I thought of retiring to an RV but I guess one gets spoiled being connected to public utilities. I think I'd start to miss it after a while.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Life off the grid has its appeal.
But the only time I hear about it is from people using
a computer hooked up to the internet. Are you ready
to give that up for a more Amish lifestyle?
Yes, I am ready for it. and if I do need internet in the future I could go to a governmental office to ask to use a computer there ( where people often go for applying for jobs, as one example)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was homeless for a while, living out in the wilds. I built myself a shelter it wasn't much though. Always had a desire to have a mobile shelter of some kind. Never know when you might end up homeless again.

But I got to tell you, constant running water, electricity, the ability to take a shower, sit on a toilet as long as you want, it's all kind of nice. I thought of retiring to an RV but I guess one gets spoiled being connected to public utilities. I think I'd start to miss it after a while.
It is always good to get advice from someone who truly knows what it means to be homeless. So i am grateful for your advice :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, I am ready for it. and if I do need internet in the future I could go to a governmental office to ask to use a computer there ( where people often go for applying for jobs, as one example)
Let me when you actually live that dream.
(Modern tech is stubborn...it tempts us.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When i am in the van/bus i will find a place to log in here again and i will give you an update on how it feels, that i can promise to do :)
You'd better hope that many people will stick to the modern
technological lifestyle, lest there be no internet to log into.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You'd better hope that many people will stick to the modern
technological lifestyle, lest there be no internet to log into.
Hehe I am sure 99.99% of people are not going freely or are forced into that kind of lifestyle, so the internet is not going to disappear. Personally, it is the only option I can afford to in the future.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hehe I am sure 99.99% of people are not going freely or are forced into that kind of lifestyle, so the internet is not going to disappear. Personally, it is the only option I can afford to in the future.
IOW, you need people who embrace the lifestyle which you seek to abandon.
It works for me. I don't expect everyone to adopt mine either.
(There aren't eunf working bears like @Wu Wei to support us.)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
IOW, you need people who embrace the lifestyle which you seek to abandon.
It works for me. I don't expect everyone to adopt mine either.
(There aren't eunf working bears like @Wu Wei to support us.)
I can only do what I see is a right for me, what others do is up to them :) Maybe there are no right or wrong in this?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can only do what I see is a right for me, what others do is up to them :) Maybe there are no right or wrong in this?
Hey, how do you earn money while galavanting around the country in your RV?
Who tends your veggie garden while you're away?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hey, how do you earn money while galavanting around the country in your RV?
Who tends your veggie garden while you're away?
At the moment I am unemployed (going to school, study to become a freight forwarder, so if i get that kind of job money will not be an issue anymore. but if I can not get that I will have to take jobs wherever I can find, it does not matter what it is. except for butcher or jobs that have to do with selling or producing alcohol.

The veggies will be inside the van/bus in small containers, when I am away from it.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on what you mean by off grid. If you just mean off municipal power and water then that's not too bad depending on your assets.

If you mean off-grid subsistence farming/remote country living, that is an incredibly challenging feat and requires a lot of education that most of us simply don't get these days.

Do you know the correct way to keep blight and pests off harvests without manufactured chemicals? Do you know how much yield you're going to lose on the vine because organic methods simply aren't as efficient? How will that impact your food stores? Do you know how to properly do food storage especially without refrigeration? Do you have enough crop diversity and soil rotation? Do you know how to manage your own utilities? How to store food and water safely to avoid contaminants?

A lot of people go out off-grid thinking that they have enough education to get by and they really don't. At best they just turn around and come back, at worse they get themselves hurt or seriously ill or even killed by miss-managing. It's doable, certainly, but there's a reason people consider it dangerous. It is. There's no vulnerability like counting on a pea harvest that you just found out had pea weevils after you already harvested and dried them.

dfnj

We have much better and more interesting culture today than in the past. The Internet is the greatest thing ever!!!

Just consider the societal implications of this tiny piece of the Internet's and its potential impact on our culture:

Khan Academy | Free Online Courses, Lessons & Practice

It's very exciting to think what our culture will be in the future! It's going to be awesome!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Depends on what you mean by off grid. If you just mean off municipal power and water then that's not too bad depending on your assets.

If you mean off-grid subsistence farming/remote country living, that is an incredibly challenging feat and requires a lot of education that most of us simply don't get these days.

Do you know the correct way to keep blight and pests off harvests without manufactured chemicals? Do you know how much yield you're going to lose on the vine because organic methods simply aren't as efficient? How will that impact your food stores? Do you know how to properly do food storage especially without refrigeration? Do you have enough crop diversity and soil rotation? Do you know how to manage your own utilities? How to store food and water safely to avoid contaminants?

A lot of people go out off-grid thinking that they have enough education to get by and they really don't. At best they just turn around and come back, at worse they get themselves hurt or seriously ill or even killed by miss-managing. It's doable, certainly, but there's a reason people consider it dangerous. It is. There's no vulnerability like counting on a pea harvest that you just found out had pea weevils after you already harvested and dried them.
At this moment I have the knowledge to survive in that situation, but I do admit that I have still things i would have to learn, And yes when i say off-grid it means become self-sufficient. But i am also very aware that that is not done over night, so i will need some times to adapt in to it. because if i just made the change over night i would fail huge. So no it is not about buying a van and move in to it an think i will have no problems.

I am watching hours of videos to understand what can go wrong, and what will go wrong, then i try to learn how to fix it when something go not the way i want it :)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
At this moment I have the knowledge to survive in that situation, but I do admit that I have still things i would have to learn, And yes when i say off-grid it means become self-sufficient. But i am also very aware that that is not done over night, so i will need some times to adapt in to it. because if i just made the change over night i would fail huge. So no it is not about buying a van and move in to it an think i will have no problems.

I am watching hours of videos to understand what can go wrong, and what will go wrong, then i try to learn how to fix it when something go not the way i want it :)
I highly recommend taking some master gardening classes and just about any agricultural class you can. And I wouldn't try with anything less than a full acre of property per person, on grid for at least 1-5 years before going off grid (especially if using orchards or soil needs treatment first) with agricultural zone knowledge and at least six months supply and several emergency backup plans. I agree, subsistence living isn't something you can do out of a van.