• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are "peaceful Muslims" really Muslims?

It is acknowledged that in order to be a Muslim you have to believe in the Koran. The Koran has violent verses, which among other things call for stoning, flogging and amputation of hands. It calls for war against non-Muslims.

So can you truly be a Muslim if you do not beleive in these things? Discuss.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Can you truly be a Christian if you don't believe in stoning your daughter to death if she curses you?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You would be a modern xtian. Christianity is pretty screwed up if you look at it (the whole thing, not any diluted crap) but they went through their enlightenment.

And you don't suppose there are any Muslims who are "enlightened" in the sense they don't buy into the more violent admonishments of their scriptures without ceasing to be Muslims? If so, what makes someone a Muslim to you? Do they need to believe in stoning people to death to be a Muslim?

Splarnst

I've never seen a single professed Christian ever voluntarily give all their possessions to anyone who asks as taught in Luke 6:29-30. Does that mean there are no Christians either then?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
And you don't suppose there are any Muslims who are "enlightened" in the sense they don't buy into the more violent admonishments of their scriptures without ceasing to be Muslims? .....

Of course not Sunstone. If one were to assume that, it would be much harder to demonize Muslims and to blame them for all the world's ills.

And we can't have that, now can we?

:sarcastic

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is acknowledged that in order to be a Muslim you have to believe in the Koran. The Koran has violent verses, which among other things call for stoning, flogging and amputation of hands. It calls for war against non-Muslims.

People will be who they are.
They will read the Koran accordingly.
So yes, many will be peaceful.

Splarnst

I don't care whether they're really Muslims. I'm glad they're peaceful. I wish everyone were peaceful.

.lava

Veteran Member

crime requires punishment and when there is war it is one's right to defend. you call it violent? i disagree. btw who's real American?

otokage007

You can be a muslim without believing 100% in Coran. As I'm sure you know of plenty of christians that doesn't believe 100% in the Bible. However, my opinion is that you can't be an "average muslim". Most muslims believe in the Coran and they consider correct all the things you have said, like stoning etc. Remember that the Coran dictates the majority of the muslim juridical system.

.lava

Veteran Member
You can be a muslim without believing 100% in Coran. As I'm sure you know of plenty of christians that doesn't believe 100% in the Bible. However, my opinion is that you can't be an "average muslim". Most muslims believe in the Coran and they consider correct all the things you have said, like stoning etc. Remember that the Coran dictates the majority of the muslim juridical system.

any Muslim would believe in Qur'an. no verse is there about stoning

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
any Muslim would believe in Qur'an. no verse is there about stoning

Had the writer of the OP actually taken the time to read the Qur'an, they would have realized that.

I think the best way to look at Muslims would be to compare them to Catholics. Some Catholics go to church every day and say their prayers, like clockwork. They are obedient to the Pope etc... Then there are other Catholics who are Catholic only in name and haven't seen the inside of a church in decades and rarely pray. The majority of Catholics are somewhere between these two extremes. My guess is that Muslims are, more or less, similar. It takes a lot of types to make a religion.

.lava

Veteran Member

it is going to be a strange sentence but i'll say it anyway. in general generalization brings the wrong juggement. i think there are exceptions. the best example is fascism or could be racism. because regardless what belief, skin colour or nationality one might have, if he is fascist he is a done deal. in other words we won't find a racist who's a peacemaker or a facist who embraces diversity in life. i personaly don't expect to find this kind of qualities in that certain type of mind set. i consider "lack of love for humanity" as a dress that people could put on any belief system. a Muslim could wear dress of fascism just like an atheist could wear racism as a dress. it is like lences of a camera i suppose. you can put them on. religion, no religion, nationality, bloodline, skin colour ... etc these material would not make anyone criminal. everyone has given these materials but only some come out with loveless out come. does not matter what belief they choice, where they were born .. if we could change all of his data to another location to born, another belief to follow .. etc the out come and its nature would be the same. fascist would be fascist anywhere

IMO, of course

Many Sages One Truth

To my understanding the so-called "violent" Koran verses only say one can act in violence when defending. It says do not fight them unless they fight you all the way back to the sacred mosque, so that they surround it, and even then, only fight them until they send word of peace, because if you fight them after that, Allah does not love transgression of limits.

khanyy

re 1

'Invisible Pink Unicorn'

lemme guess your American? Here's something to ponder before the Quran came down Mohammed was told to read, even though he didn't know how to that's how important it was, so please read the Quran before you discuss as iv'e seen countless threads like this on other sites.

Well every one is showing finger to other. well that true all fingers of hand is not equal their are many type of people in this world many types in religion and many types in beliefs. So you cannot say that muslims are not peaceful their are many other people too who are not peaceful why not enlightened them too.

otokage007

Well every one is showing finger to other. well that true all fingers of hand is not equal their are many type of people in this world many types in religion and many types in beliefs. So you cannot say that muslims are not peaceful their are many other people too who are not peaceful why not enlightened them too.

I think the main problem is that muslims or the muslim countries, bring harm to the world in the name of religion. Nowadays, that's something a very few countries do.