• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Mystical Experiences Considered Possible in Your Religion?

GoodbyeDave

The term mystical experience has been used in may ways, and one can distinguish at least 2:

1. Numinous experiences, where one becomes aware of an overwhelming presence.

A good example is Blaise Pascal's description: "From about half past ten at night until about half past midnight, FIRE. God of Abraham, God of Isaac, God of Jacob, not of the philosophers and of the learned.Certitude. Certitude. Feeling. Joy. Peace."
Another would be in the Bhagavad Gita, where Krishna is revealed to Arjuna: "If a thousand sins were to rise in the heavens at the same time, the blaze of their light would resemble the splendor of that supreme spirit."

Such experiences are obviously found in all religions, and interpreted according to the theology of the religion in question.

2. Transcendent experiences, where there is a sense of unity, serenity, and the transcendence of the everyday self, time, and space.

St Teresa compared her sense of it to rain falling on the river, where one could not longer distinguish the water from the rain from the water from the river. The exact same image had earlier been used by a Hindu mystic! The experience of nature mystics obviously belongs here, as well.

Many do not consider this phenomenon religious. In Christianity, St Teresa did but John of Ruysbroeck considered it a psychological phenomenon open to anyone, as do the Zen masters. Ramanuja explained it as being simply the achievement of the full potential of the embodied soul. But however you explain it, it too is obviously found in all religions.

As for my religion, it too has both phenomena. Apuleius described a numinous experience and Plotinus a transcendent one. Personally, I've had neither, and I'm inclined to the non-religious explanation of transcendence.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is it considered possible in your religion for a person to have an experience of unity with Ultimate Reality? That is, is it possible in your religion for a person to have a mystical experience?

Or, if you lack any religion, then is it possible in your view for a person to have an experience of unity with Ultimate Reality?

Please note: This is posted in a discussion section, not a debate section.
Not only do I consider it possible, but as others have mentioned, I consider it the goal. I pretty much stick with terms like gnosis, theosis, or enlightenment which amount to the same in my opinion. However I wouldn't consider any mystical connection anything supernatural or anything, something that can and does happen in nature, and that "ultimate reality" is just reality in deeper dimensions of reality itself. In that sense I don't consider there to be and ultimate reality but rather different levels of the same reality that are physically accessible.

For some of the words I use I define as follows. Theosis is the transformation to become united with god, while gnosis is the knowledge of god(or whatever you want to call it) and enlightenment similarly, according to some schools of buddhist thought, should ultimately lead to a person to liberation and unity with all. Though when I say liberation, there is no separate reality that I believe in as I mentioned above, but a liberation by becoming one with the underlying dimensions of reality that unite everything despite our illusion that we are separated by space-time.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Whats the difference between mystical experience and everyday experience? There isnt more than one reality (no multiple lifes) regardless of how we refer to alternate realms whether in mind or physically.

Wha makes reality ultimate?
Not to speak for others but for me the difference is whether we are tapping into free will which is possible, but it's also possible not to be in control which is where attachments and worldly things come into play. So we are either not in control or we have tapped into the freedoms that truly exist at a deeper level.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not to speak for others but for me the difference is whether we are tapping into free will which is possible, but it's also possible not to be in control which is where attachments and worldly things come into play. So we are either not in control or we have tapped into the freedoms that truly exist at a deeper level.

A mystical experience is tapping into free will at a deeper level?

Rephrasing for clarity

VioletVortex

In Satanism, there is no unified belief regarding this, but many Theistic Satanists, including myself, have experienced the presence of Satan.

There are also those who claim to have evoked a Demon and had said Demon materialize, however, I am skeptical of that.

allfoak

Alchemist
A mystical experience is just an experience of life's mysteries. Life is full of mysteries. The experience of unity with all things is an experience we have when we are happy. We just don't recognize it as such.

Treasure Hunter

It seems to me there are several ideas about what a mystical experience is, all going on simultaneously in this thread. So as some have alluded to, we could all be discussing something totally different. Not to say we are, but it's possible.
Most people have never experienced one beyond fleeting moments, so they will be communicating about something different. There is a big difference between a mystical experience of fleeting moments, sometimes called Grace, and a spiritual awakening which is a significant mystical experience.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Do you believe it is possible for a person to experience unity with Ultimate Reality?
Yes, this is called Enlightenment, when the illusion of the mind body organism is dropped, Ultimate Reality shines through, like when the clouds move on and the sun is revealed, the sun was there all along.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Most people have never experienced one beyond fleeting moments, so they will be communicating about something different. There is a big difference between a mystical experience of fleeting moments, sometimes called Grace, and a spiritual awakening which is a significant mystical experience.
Not sure. How do you know if two people have very similar experiences and one calls it a mystical experience, and the other person doesn't? I know several people who just go 'Aw, shucks, this is quite normal stuff' while others, about the same thing go nuts about it.

After all, anyone can say anything.

Treasure Hunter

Not sure. How do you know if two people have very similar experiences and one calls it a mystical experience, and the other person doesn't? I know several people who just go 'Aw, shucks, this is quite normal stuff' while others, about the same thing go nuts about it.
There are three categories. One category is people who cannot yet experience the mystical. This is where everyone starts - nobody is born unique or special in this regard. The second category is people who have been opened to the mystical experience but rationalize it. And the third category is people who have been opened to the mystical and acknowledge it as such at least some of the time.

Now, someone who has experienced a spiritual awakening knows it. That cannot be easily rationalized away. It's always there somewhere in the background. If the fleeting mystical experiences are breadcrumbs then a spiritual awakening is the entire loaf of bread. However, even the spiritual awakening eventually becomes fleeting.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Whats the difference between mystical experience and everyday experience? There isnt more than one reality (no multiple lifes) regardless of how we refer to alternate realms whether in mind or physically.

I like how @Rick O'Shez framed it earlier - mystical experiences are characterized by an altered state of mind or consciousness. In particular, I would consider a state of heightened awareness, a sense of being fully in the present moment, to be key. That state of mind, in of itself, does not a mystical experience make... but to deeply connect with something, you've got to be fully present in the moment.

There is a big difference between a mystical experience of fleeting moments, sometimes called Grace, and a spiritual awakening which is a significant mystical experience.

Could you unpack this a little more? It looks like there is something interesting in here!
EDIT: Hah, it seems you elaborated a bit in responding to Vin, but is there more you'd like to add?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are three categories. One category is people who cannot yet experience the mystical. This is where everyone starts - nobody is born unique or special in this regard. The second category is people who have been opened to the mystical experience but rationalize it. And the third category is people who have been opened to the mystical and acknowledge it as such at least some of the time.

Now, someone who has experienced a spiritual awakening knows it. That cannot be easily rationalized away. It's always there somewhere in the background. If the fleeting mystical experiences are breadcrumbs then a spiritual awakening is the entire loaf of bread. However, even the spiritual awakening eventually becomes fleeting.
Sorry, I wasn't really looking for an explanation. I have a pretty decent handle on what it means to me as well.

Treasure Hunter

Could you unpack this a little more? It looks like there is something interesting in here!
EDIT: Hah, it seems you elaborated a bit in responding to Vin, but is there more you'd like to add?
Simply, the more we give, the more we are given, and the more that is required from us. It can be thought of as levels of difficulty. As the levels become more difficult, that which is guiding us, or enticing us, has to become more apparent or we won't continue the pursuit.