• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Muslims better Christians than Christians themselves?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Is the DSM IV Christian teaching... or the teachings of the 'world?'
It's scientific reality, much like the real age of the universe, over the biblical young earth "theory." We no know things about human sexuality and the human psyche that that the ancients didn't know.
Note that Christ does not change the community though.
Not according to Matthew. Or John. Or Luke for that matter.
Yet Jesus specifically states differently.
(Jesus) then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again.
(Mark 8:31)
It doesn't say explicitly that he needed to die. It does present us with a prophetic announcement, which proved to be remarkably accurate.
Who is right then Sojourner? You or what is written in scripture?
It's not a matter of "Sojourner against scripture." It's a matter of actually exegeting the texts.

sojourner

Generally yes,
So, what you're saying, is that people with normal human drives and normal sexual orientations are being deprived of the right to participate normally and fully in society, are being transported away from family and lives, just so they can participate, are being scapegoated and separated from "acceptable" people, just because a lot of misinformed people are misinterpreting "what the bible says?" Great! That's exactly what happened to the Jews during the Holocaust, the blacks during American slavery, and the first nations during colonization.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't belief there are allot of interpretations, i think the one who will interpret a verse differently just does so to fulfil there goal, there are enough tasfirs and authentic hadiths explaining almost the whole Quran i think you would agree. A religion can always be mis-used as like any idea, belief, behaviour, nationality everything...

I can't think of many ideas that can be manipulated as powerfully as religion, especially with the added effect of "obey religious laws or go to Hell" (which, unsurprisingly, is a tactic that has been constantly used in many countries throughout history).

It also doesn't appear that many countries are ready to implement religious laws into their constitutions without misusing it for power -- at least not at this point in time.

Just a question do you support secularism? I am sorry to say but your argument doesn't work how about France/Belgium who have a Buraq ban what about in Switzerland where its now forbidden to make mosques, what about the Norway the list continues even in the country where i live (Netherlands) Muslims are not treated equally what about the 11 Mosques that were burned, What about the muslims who got murdered in America after 9/11, What about the pregnant muslim women who was stabbed by a German in her stomach till she died(because she was a muslima) and the list continues..

All of the cases you listed had other politically-driven reasons that had nothing to do with "secularism". They were either driven by politics or other ideologies as well.

Secularism leads to Nationalism and when under social pressure to extremism hence WW2 since moral evolves in a Atheistic viewpoint then there is no condemning of the slaughter that happened in WW2 because of human-evolution.

I don't see how evolution is related to World War II. Also, Hitler wasn't an atheist, as far as I know; not that it matters, but the point remains that evolution is a scientific theory which is unrelated to wars and/or Nazis.

sojourner

So your argument for the community of Swingers is that they don't represent the majority of the culture, yet you have no problem with a different small minority's practices.
Nope. Not even close.
You're waaaay off the mark here.

Shermana

Heretic
Nope. Not even close.
You're waaaay off the mark here.

By all means please explain then. Why is one small community's desires to be acceptable but not another? You also have yet to explain your assertion that Paul was not preaching against their practices.

F0uad

I can't think of many ideas that can be manipulated as powerfully as religion, especially with the added effect of "obey religious laws or go to Hell" (which, unsurprisingly, is a tactic that has been constantly used in many countries throughout history).

What about Communism? I think no state has ever said obey religious laws or go to hell not even religious-sates if would be blasphemous to do so, if for example a Sharia-Law is implemented then the society is protected from one's ''sin'' or miss-behaviour he or she can do hes personal sin or miss-behaviour at home (what is also stated in a hadith). Also the Sharia is not meant for people to take away there rights but to enlighten people and to be a way forward hence even Liberalism has these concepts in place that you cannot inflict ''bad'' or ''influence'' people with immoral things.
It also doesn't appear that many countries are ready to implement religious laws into their constitutions without misusing it for power -- at least not at this point in time.

I would agree but how is this a different case for Secular states?

All of the cases you listed had other politically-driven reasons that had nothing to do with "secularism". They were either driven by politics or other ideologies as well.

Secularism is a political ideology as-well is Sharia, i just responded this way because your argument was that Sharia leads to these kind of behaviours when it clearly doesn't if its implemented right. The country doesn't even have a Islamic court let alone a Sharia to follow.

I don't see how evolution is related to World War II. Also, Hitler wasn't an atheist, as far as I know; not that it matters, but the point remains that evolution is a scientific theory which is unrelated to wars and/or Nazis.

That in a Atheistic viewpoint Moral evolves like hair and nails therefore the Germans in Germany were evolving with the idea (mostly because of social pressure) that killings Jews was a good thing and there cannot be a condemnation on it since the idea is that moral evolves. I would also argue that secularism leads to Nationalism and Individualism hence liberalism.

Personal question: Do you prefer a secular state or a Caliphate with a Sharia-law as was implemented in the early years of Islam?

Salaam.

sojourner

By all means please explain then. Why is one small community's desires to be acceptable but not another? You also have yet to explain your assertion that Paul was not preaching against their practices.
I'm not going to be drawn into a discussion of the minutiae of what "groups" are "valid." I've already talked about the societal norm of marriage. I think that's the norm the biblical writers allude to. I also think that the injunctions against adultery can be put aside in extreme cases, such as the dehumanization of those who identify as homosexual.

In any case, it's not up to me to stand in judgment of anyone. I try to keep my nose out of other peoples' bedrooms.

As far as Paul goes, I've already stated my position several times: The ancients had no concept of sexual orientation. That's it.

Shermana

Heretic
'm not going to be drawn into a discussion of the minutiae of what "groups" are "valid."
Okay, so you like to make claims and then say "nuh uh" and then refuse to back your claim. This is not the first, or second, or third, or fourth, or fifth (and on) time you've shown this pattern of making a claim, denying the reasoned argument with a "nuh uh" and insisting that you don't have to actually address the discrepancies in your claims.

I've already talked about the societal norm of marriage.
Not really. You may have discussed it but not in a way which deals with your blatant contradiction in how to handle "a changing society". What if a changing society wants adultery to be normalized? In Mexico, a top Presidential candidate is a spokesman for an adultery website. If many Mexicans feel this way, why should it be discouraged in your view? Or do you feel this is "Minutae"?

I think that's the norm the biblical writers allude to.
But when asked why you think the prohibition against male-gay relations is not the norm they "alluded" to, your answer is
----Cricket----
Note, Sojourner's answer is that they "didn't have a concept of gay orientation", however, that's not the issue. The issue is the action itself, which I think I made more than clear, using the modern concept of "homosexuality" to say it didn't exist (they most certainly had their own words to define their own version of the idea we call "orientation", Paul uses the unique term "Man-bedder" and uses "dogs" to refer to male prostitutes that specifically catered to such), the question is not so much the modern concept of "orientation" but the actual action of what they do. So....with that, you have yet to actually explain your view on Romans 1:26-27. Or is that "Minutae" as well?

I also think that the injunctions against adultery can be put aside in extreme cases, such as the dehumanization of those who identify as homosexual.
I don't understand how "dehumanization" of "homosexuals" has anything to do with "extreme cases" with adultery, especially in states where it's legal in the secular society. Do you think gays are allowed to commit adultery? From the studies I've read, married gays (in states where its legal) cheat more than married straights, and in states where marriage IS allowed, they aren't exactly flocking to get married in numbers you'd think they'd want from their vocal protests (i.e. a fraction of them actually take advantage of it) Should their behavior be condoned and tolerated if they go outside of marriage just because they're gay? Can you imagine the reaction if you insisted they stay within marriage if they get married?

In any case, it's not up to me to stand in judgment of anyone. I try to keep my nose out of other peoples' bedrooms.
That's great, I personally don't care either what strangers consentually do to each other as long as they stay away from me, but when it comes to debate on the issue and the specifics at hand at what the text actually says, then it most certainly matters if you want to have an honest debate on what the text was implying. And you have to explain after being asked more than twice why you think Paul didn't forbid their relations. All you did as we see below is play a game of Semantics that ultimately avoids the question and the verses at hand.

As far as Paul goes, I've already stated my position several times: The ancients had no concept of sexual orientation. That's it.[
Dodging and weaving again, you know quite well what Romans 1:26-27 says, and you're dancing the same Semantics game many use. Let's not use the word "homosexual", let's use the word "buggery" instead. What do you think Paul was condemning in Romans 1:26-1:27? I really would hate to have to ask again and again and again, but then again, if you want to prove you're deliberately avoiding the issue by creating Semantic Strawmen over and over, that's fine with me.

Last edited:

F0uad

Shermana i think he has a different view on Christianity then the average Christian does since the Majority in America always votes against Gay-Marriages and almost all Churches condemn it and there is a reason for it because its also condemned in the bible. Sometimes when people do not want to agree and just argue in the sack of arguing it means that they have no idea what to follow or to say.

Just go a couple of pages back and you will see how he dodges around everything for example: I quoted 5 verses where it states that Jesus(p) uphold the law and teaches people to do so, then later he will ask me to quote those verses when we advance in the conversation. Its just better to ignore him.

Last edited:

sojourner

Okay, so you like to make claims and then say "nuh uh" and then refuse to back your claim.
No, it means that I'm no longer entertained by having my arguments twisted and having to reexplain myself according to some false criterion that you manage to cobble together from having twisted my claims. right here is a good example of that. I'm not going to play your little game anymore.
Not really.
Yeah, I did. Regardless of what you claim.
If many Mexicans feel this way, why should it be discouraged in your view?
I could have sworn I said that I don't stand in judgment of what people do, so long as they don't hurt each other.
Note, Sojourner's answer is that they "didn't have a concept of gay orientation", however, that's not the issue.
It's precisely the issue.
I don't understand how "dehumanization" of "homosexuals" has anything to do with "extreme cases" with adultery
Of course not. More's the pity.
Dodging and weaving again, you know quite well what Romans 1:26-27 says, and you're dancing the same Semantics game many use. Let's not use the word "homosexual", let's use the word "buggery" instead.
It's not semantics. It's psychology. Since Paul didn't have a concept that human beings could be oriented sexually toward either the same or the opposite sex, he also had no concept that homoerotic acts could be natural for some people. Therefore, they must be abnormal and, thus, an abomination. It's just that simple. I can't figure out why you keep insisting that ancient people thought the same way we do. you seem intelligent...

Shermana

Heretic
No, it means that I'm no longer entertained by having my arguments twisted and having to reexplain myself according to some false criterion that you manage to cobble together from having twisted my claims. right here is a good example of that. I'm not going to play your little game anymore.
I challenge anyone reading to prove how I twisted his arguments and prove that Sojourner's not blatantly lying to hide the fact that he's had a contradiction called out that he doesn't want to address.
Yeah, I did. Regardless of what you claim.
I challenge anyone reading to prove that Sojourner did in fact substantiate, with a quote.
I could have sworn I said that I don't stand in judgment of what people do, so long as they don't hurt each other.
I could have sworn I asked you why adultery shouldn't be no longer prohibited if the "culture" adapts to view it as acceptable in lieu of what you said earlier. I Could have sworn you dodged and dived.

It's precisely the issue.
The issue is that over three times you have completely ducked and looked for excuses to avoid addressing Romans 1:26-27 by bringing up a modern concept of "orientation", even though there is a similar Greek concept and Paul has a specific word for it, "Man-bedders". The idea that orientation didn't exist in Greek society is in fact based on Semantics. We're talking about the actual action. There's lots of people that are "experimental" like I said, are they "orientated" that way even if they deny it?

Of course not. More's the pity.
Huh? Can anyone else explain how that in any way addresses what I said?
It's not semantics. It's psychology. Since Paul didn't have a concept that human beings could be oriented sexually toward either the same or the opposite sex, he also had no concept that homoerotic acts could be natural for some people. Therefore, they must be abnormal and, thus, an abomination. It's just that simple. I can't figure out why you keep insisting that ancient people thought the same way we do. you seem intelligent...
More posturing to avoid addressing Romans 1:26-27. Or unless that is your addressing and you're saying that Paul is wrong for saying that such actions were wrong. If that's the case, where do you draw the line where Paul was right or wrong? Depending if it agrees with your view?

Last edited:

Pink Top Hat

I'm not a Christian, and my opinion is... no, not really. :p

Christians do not believe they are required to adhere to the old dietary laws, "What goes in to a man's mouth does not make him unclean" (Matthew 15:11, Acts 11:5-10), and the consumption of wine was permitted -- in fact, it was encouraged to drink water "with a little wine" (1 Timothy 5:23), most probably because of germs that could live in water; the verses you have shown seem to prohibit drunkenness, not the drinking of alcohol -- huge difference. A little alcohol will not make someone drunk, excess will, which is what seems to be opposed.

In addition, there are some Christian groups who do not consume alcohol or pork. Seventh Day Adventists, I believe, are one of them.

The "Spirit of Truth" is said to "dwell in" them. Muhammad cannot "dwell in" someone as he is a person, and that doesn't make sense. :)

16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

No one mentioned 'dwell in'

Doulos

It's scientific reality, much like the real age of the universe, over the biblical young earth "theory." We no know things about human sexuality and the human psyche that that the ancients didn't know.

I suggest you inestigate the process for the DSM. There's very little that is 'scientific' about it.

You are correct that as humans we may know more than our ancstors about some issues. We're talking about something different though.

We're talking about a book which purports to be the Word of God.

Not according to Matthew. Or John. Or Luke for that matter.

If you think so, then please bring up the text and we can discuss it.

It doesn't say explicitly that he needed to die. It does present us with a prophetic announcement, which proved to be remarkably accurate.

Funny how the Bible prophesies seem to be 'remarkably accurate.'

"doesn't say explicitly that he needed to die"
(Jesus) then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again.

The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.
(John 10:17-18)

Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures
(1 Corinthians 15:3-4)

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
(Mark 10:45)

"It doesn't say explicitly that he needed to die"... but scripture seems to clearly disagree with your assertion.

It's not a matter of "Sojourner against scripture." It's a matter of actually exegeting the texts.
I've been posting scripture, and am more than willing to exegite it with you if you desire. Your exegesis seems a little strange when you say that a command from God and "he must be killed" is not saying that Jesus explicitly needed to die ...

Doulos

So, what you're saying, is that people with normal human drives and normal sexual orientations are being deprived of the right to participate normally and fully in society, are being transported away from family and lives, just so they can participate, are being scapegoated and separated from "acceptable" people, just because a lot of misinformed people are misinterpreting "what the bible says?" Great! That's exactly what happened to the Jews during the Holocaust, the blacks during American slavery, and the first nations during colonization.

Man was not created to sin, but for God.

We have a choice in where we direct our drives and how we orient ourselves. We can either go towards God, or away from Him.

If you think others are 'misinformed' or 'misinterpreting' then I would suggest you support your assertions with evidence.

sojourner

We're talking about a book which purports to be the Word of God.
No, we aren't. We're talking about a collection of texts that some people purport to be the Word of God.
"doesn't say explicitly that he needed to die"
First off, Mark is writing what basically turns out to be a tragedy. his whole gospel turns around the theme that God is weak, and dirty, and ultimately ineffective.
Second, to say that "he must be killed..." is to say that, "if Jesus doesn't quit ticking off the powers-that-be, we all know what will transpire." It doesn't, at all, say that "this is part of God's plan."
The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.
(John 10:17-18)
John, of course, takes an entirely different tack from Mark. For John, knowledge is the key thing. Jesus is Lord because he knows the Father, and the Father has commanded that he have authority over his life. Again: Nothing explicitly saying that "the crucifixion is part of God's plan."
"It doesn't say explicitly that he needed to die"... but scripture seems to clearly disagree with your assertion.
I don't see how. I can see how that can be exegeted from the texts, but since the texts are multivalent, they don't have be interpreted that way.

To me, it makes far more sense (using John's mention of "authority") to say that Jesus, taking advantage of the Jewish idea of the sacrificial lamb, used the ire of the religious authorities and the hubris of the Romans in order to effect a self-sacrifice that would make spiritual sense to Jews. But what's not so clear to me is that his death was, in any propitiatory or necessary. What is clear from the texts is that God saves -- and it usually does not require a sacrifice to make that happen (as in the story of Abraham and Isaac).
Your exegesis seems a little strange when you say that a command from God and "he must be killed" is not saying that Jesus explicitly needed to die ...
read above.

Doulos

[b]Odion said:
[/b]
I'm not a Christian, and my opinion is... no, not really. :p

Christians do not believe they are required to adhere to the old dietary laws, "What goes in to a man's mouth does not make him unclean" (Matthew 15:11, Acts 11:5-10), and the consumption of wine was permitted -- in fact, it was encouraged to drink water "with a little wine" (1 Timothy 5:23), most probably because of germs that could live in water; the verses you have shown seem to prohibit drunkenness, not the drinking of alcohol -- huge difference. A little alcohol will not make someone drunk, excess will, which is what seems to be opposed.

In addition, there are some Christian groups who do not consume alcohol or pork. Seventh Day Adventists, I believe, are one of them.

The "Spirit of Truth" is said to "dwell in" them. Muhammad cannot "dwell in" someone as he is a person, and that doesn't make sense. :)

16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

No one mentioned 'dwell in'

Odion is honest about his non-Christian faith, and he is also correct in this description of Biblical teaching.

Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
(1 Corinthians 3:16)

By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.
(2 Timothy 1:14)

But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.
(Romans 8:10-11)

sojourner

Man was not created to sin, but for God.

We have a choice in where we direct our drives and how we orient ourselves. We can either go towards God, or away from Him.

If you think others are 'misinformed' or 'misinterpreting' then I would suggest you support your assertions with evidence.
That's a very nice platitude -- especially when you're on the side of the elite. Not so much when you're on the side of the oppressed.

When the DSM IV calls it "normal," I'd say that's pretty good evidence to support my position.

Here's where you're wrong. Those who identify as homosexual have less choice in the matter than German Jews had in renouncing their religion. And most of them chose not to (for which I applaud them).

Let me ask you this: Would you side with society who says that Jews, blacks, and First Nations people are less than human? Because ultimately, that's what you're saying about those who identify as homosexual. You're objectifying them as less than human, insisting that they're not who they say they are.

Shermana

Heretic
Christians do not believe they are required to adhere to the old dietary laws, "What goes in to a man's mouth does not make him unclean" (Matthew 15:11, Acts 11:5-10),

Many Christians don't. SDA's do. Notice that the text calls what Jesus says a "Parable". I've discussed whether Jesus actually meant to violate the Dietary Laws with "Christians" more times than I can possibly remember. Some translations even alter the text to change the tense from past to present to get it to say "Thus Jesus declared all meats clean", in this case, they are outright fraudulently editing the text to support their conclusions, the KJV and Douay Rheims get it right in that particular instance. But again, the teaching is called a "parable", which means "Not everything in this story is true but there's a point there". Also noted, is that most "Christians" Completely ignore the actual context of this episode: It was about Ritualized Handwashing that the Pharisees adopted as Law that's not actually in the Law, while ignoring the weightier measures of the Law like helping the poor. "You strain for gnats while swallowing camels".

As for Acts 11:5-10, notice that it most clearly says that the meaning of the vision was to allow gentiles into the church. Otherwise, you're saying that flies and mosquitos and roaches and dung beetles are now allowable to eat. Most "Christians" completely ignore the part where it specifically says it was a vision with a meaning to allow gentiles into the church. A great example of selective reading to support their conclusions if anything.

Doulos

No, we aren't. We're talking about a collection of texts that some people purport to be the Word of God.

I accept it as what God says it to be. If you cannot accept God's Word, that is your choice.

First off, Mark is writing what basically turns out to be a tragedy. his whole gospel turns around the theme that God is weak, and dirty, and ultimately ineffective.
Second, to say that "he must be killed..." is to say that, "if Jesus doesn't quit ticking off the powers-that-be, we all know what will transpire." It doesn't, at all, say that "this is part of God's plan."

Let's take each of your interesting interpretations in turn:

You yourself call this a "prophetic announcement" (post #361) which contradicts your statement here that it isn't part of God's plan.

"whole gospel turns around the theme that God is weak, and dirty, and ultimately ineffective"
Funny. For most people, exegesis means to explain what the text says. Here you make an assertion which actually goes AGAINST what Mark clearly says.

And when the centurion, who stood facing him, saw that in this way he breathed his last, he said, “Truly this man was the Son of God!”
(Mark 15:39)

Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?”
“I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
(Mark 14:61-62)

Jesus also:
casts out demons (Mk 5)
feeds 5000 with 5 loaves and 2 fish (Mk 6)
speaks with Elijah and Moses (Mk 9)
heals the deaf (Mk 7)

If you're going to use fancy words like exegesis, it helps if you actually post text and discuss them... instead of making assertions without any proof ;)

Last edited:

Doulos

That's a very nice platitude -- especially when you're on the side of the elite. Not so much when you're on the side of the oppressed.

When the DSM IV calls it "normal," I'd say that's pretty good evidence to support my position.

Here's where you're wrong. Those who identify as homosexual have less choice in the matter than German Jews had in renouncing their religion. And most of them chose not to (for which I applaud them).

Let me ask you this: Would you side with society who says that Jews, blacks, and First Nations people are less than human? Because ultimately, that's what you're saying about those who identify as homosexual. You're objectifying them as less than human, insisting that they're not who they say they are.

You're welcome to side with who you wish ;)

I'll side with God.