• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are lgbtq allowed in islam.

ashtonh2001

Hey guys after reading about an openly gay imam in a same-sex relationship for over 10 years I want to know if islam accepts lgbtq people and their partners.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
It not about whether or not Islam will accept you. Its about whether or not you will accept Islam. There is wisdom, lessons, and culture to be absorbed from every religion.​

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hey there!

As far as I know, Islam is against the sexual intercourse of the same sex and a gender willingly and intentionally impersonating the other. Those born into an LGBT state; i.e., it's in their nature, had no choice in it and that's a different case I'm not entitled to comment on due to lack of knowledge. Muslims communities do have extremely feminine men and extremely masculine women by nature that do not have any problems.

I'm afraid I cannot comment any further on this due to lack of knowledge.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Having recently been accused of not knowing what Islam means, I want to point out that some clarification about what it means for Islam to accept LGBT or refuse to may be necessary.

Some Muslims (no idea of how many) may say that Islam rejects LGBT and by that mean that they personally accept LGBT people well enough, but fear that they may end up burning in Hell if God judges them unworthy of Heaven.

Some may say the same thing, but mean that they will feel offended and perhaps quite irritated if they find themselves in situations where they have to interact and show respect and acknowledgement of openly LGBT people. Again, it is hard to tell how many of them there are. I figure that most Muslims flat out doubt they will ever have to face such a situation and may not have thought fully on what it would be like.

Likewise, it is hypothetically conceivable that a claim that Islam accepts LGBT might mean that Muslim priests are fully capable and willing to officiate LGBT weddings and that Muslim society is fully integrated in that respect. Or it might, in my sincere opinion more likely, mean instead that Muslim values are such that LGBT is not seen as something worth condemning. That, in turn, might on its turn be accompanied by anything from total avoidance of acknowledging the very existence of LGBT Muslims to openly acknowledging and embracing their participation in Muslim Society, but some clarification is needed.

Just as a point of reference, there are those who say that 50% of Iranians are atheists. I don't think so.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It not about whether or not Islam will accept you. Its about whether or not you will accept Islam. There is wisdom, lessons, and culture to be absorbed from every religion.​

I think the OP meant to ask indeed whether an Islamic society is ready to accept LGBT people and behavior, and to what degree.

gsa

No. It is by far the most hostile of the Abrahamic religions. Like adultery, punishable by death.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The available evidence does imply that the Islamic world has considerable difficulty even admitting that LGBT is not a choice, and therefore can't very well be said to accept its existence.

How they react seems to vary a lot from one country to the next, apparently always in the disappointingly limited spectrum between stoning to death and making a conscious choice of refusing to acknowledge its very existence (which, I understand, is seen as a very respectful attitude towards LGBT people by most Muslims).

Servant_of_the_One1

In the Quran Allah swt send Lot to warn his people about their homosexual behavior. Sadly the people did not benefit from the warnings.

And [We had sent] Lot when he said to his people, "Do you commit such immorality as no one has preceded you with from among the worlds?(80)Indeed, you approach men with desire, instead of women. Rather, you are a transgressing people."(81) Al-Araf 80-81

Ash-Shura 25:165-166

Do you approach males among the worlds(165).And leave what your Lord has created for you as mates? But you are a people transgressing."(166)

[Al-Naml27:55][3]

Do you indeed approach men with desire instead of women? Rather, you are a people behaving ignorantly."

It is better to subdue homosexual feelings and to follow the natural path of all humans: the path of reproduction and the love between man & woman is truly logical one.

These feelings are test. So a believer will be able to resist it by doing prayers, supplications and marrying a woman/man against his/her own desires.

038:026
O David! We did indeed make thee a vicegerent on earth: so judge thou between men in truth (and justice): Nor follow thou the desires (of thy heart), for they will mislead thee from the Path of Allah: for those who wander astray from the Path of Allah, is a Penalty Grievous, for that they forget the Day of Account.

So most muslims are advised not give in to the calls of satan, but to believe in their Lord and to obey Allah swt.
We do not say like christians(forsaking bible): yes u can be gay, marry with same sex and still be good muslim.

P.s however it should be noted that homosexuality is not disbelief, its regarded to be evil sin that leads to diseases and corruptions.
So a person who is gay can also be muslim aslong he/she stays away from idolworship/shirk and clear kufr.
How would a true believer commit big sins like homosexuality(sodomy/lesbiansex)? The real believer is more concerned and worried about the small sins that can pile up and form high mountains. May Allah give us guidance and wellbeing.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There are a few exceptions, though. I figure most Unitarian Universalists, not a few Catholics (official doctrine not standing) and many others do in fact fully accept LGBT people without pressuring them towards abstinence or anything similar.