• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are extremes actually "very near" to each other ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I have often heard people say the following:-

"love' is only a step away from 'hate', genius is only a step from 'madness'...I am sure that there are others that could be added to the list.

Do you agree, disagree; if so why ? Any more examples ?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've long thought fascists and communists had more in common with each other than either has with people who believe in the principles of Classical Liberalism, which is pretty much middle of the road these days.

PureX

Veteran Member
michel said:

"love' is only a step away from 'hate', genius is only a step from 'madness'...I am sure that there are others that could be added to the list.

Well, I suppose that even opposite extremes have their extremism in common. I think that's what people mean by such sayings.

Pah

Uber all member
Perhaps the "extremes" are part of Catasrophe theory where a steady rise ends in a sudden drop back to beginning

FatMan

michel said:

In the 80's, I thought Madness was genius, but then once "One Step Beyond" was their only decent album, I realized I was wrong.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
I've long thought fascists and communists had more in common with each other than either has with people who believe in the principles of Classical Liberalism, which is pretty much middle of the road these days.

As have I; I believe that (if you imagine a circle with just one part of the circumference missing).. the estremes are actually seen to be close to each other ..(physically), and that the same happens in real life.

The passions of emotional love (as opposed to agape) and those of rage seem, to me, to be quite similar; as you said, Phil, I think that facists and Communists have far more in commonwith each other than 'the middle of the road'.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:

The phrase I've heard is, "The extremes on any subject, when looked at carefully, can be seen to be the same."

And the obvious example is exactly what you mention, Phil. Fascism under the Nazis and Communism under Stalin? Hm...oppression, slaughter, jailing political prisoners...uh, what's the difference?

I'm pretty sure it's for reasons like this that Baha'i Writings have a "commandment" that can be summed up as "Thou shalt not be a fanatic." :eek:

Dreamwolf

Blissful Insomniac
This probably has no relevance whatsoever in this thread but reading through the posts I thought about this statement, "can't live with them, can't live without them".

I think too think the emotional reaction to love and hate are in some cases the same, as well as the passion put behind them both.

I think the world revolves around opposites. Opposite skin color, religion and so forth, but the further apart we separate them the more they seem to blend. The strange thing to me though is how any two religions that largly reguard themselves as opposites are so incredibly similiar, take christianity and islam for example.

So yeah, I think opposites really are just a breath apart from each other.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Dreamwolf said:
This probably has no relevance whatsoever in this thread but reading through the posts I thought about this statement, "can't live with them, can't live without them".

I think too think the emotional reaction to love and hate are in some cases the same, as well as the passion put behind them both.

I think the world revolves around opposites. Opposite skin color, religion and so forth, but the further apart we separate them the more they seem to blend. The strange thing to me though is how any two religions that largly reguard themselves as opposites are so incredibly similiar, take christianity and islam for example.

So yeah, I think opposites really are just a breath apart from each other.

All very good points.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I think in some cases they are. I think, for example, American Conservatives and Islamic terrorists are empowered by the same things. A bombing in the United States helps US Conservatives as much as it helps Islamic terrorists, probably moreso in some cases - Bush, for example.

I think some things like this are similar.

Ozzie

michel said:

It seems to me only words refering to physical objects can give words denoting physical proximity like near, close or far meaning in terms of ....physical proximity. Words denoting mental states like love, hate, genius, and madness make sense in relation to one another in couplets. But proximity words like close, near etc are undefined by these except relationally when real instances of observable behaviour are considered. So words denoting mental states do not identify extremes, so cannot be said to be close, near etc. :foot: