• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are eggs vegetarian?

As a former Gaudiya Vaishnava (or Hare Krishna), just like any other Hindu group, eggs is forbidden. "No meat-eating: meat, fish or eggs." Krishna doesn't accept eggs, so thus a devotee doesn't eat eggs either.

[youtube]G1GCrooaUDw[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1GCrooaUDw

So how can I offer my food to God, if it is not acceptable to Him and not pure vegetarian? I think Father Heathen had it on the dot: it really depends if you're pro-choice or pro-life, not like the actual hen has the choice anyways, lol.

I still can't get over the ickiness factor and won't eat it in pastries... at least not yet anyways.

Why would the blue gods make things yummy only to prohibit their consumption?

But the Blue God can eat all sorts of other eggless things: halva (Indian and Persian variety), gulab jamuns, rasguls, ras malai, laddus, burfis, cakes, cheesecakes, pies, jalebis, cookies, tarts, milkshakes, smoothies, lassis... :eat:

Well, at least after offering it to Krishna. :D

Okay, so I am hungry now... :drool:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Why would the blue gods make things yummy only to prohibit their consumption?

Things only become yummy once our taste buds have become accustomed to them.

Besides, they're only forbidden to those who follow certain paths. :yes:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Don't know if eggs are vegetarian, but I do know they're vegetables.
egg-plant-06.jpg

Wannabe Yogi

As a former Gaudiya Vaishnava (or Hare Krishna), just like any other Hindu group, eggs is forbidden. "No meat-eating: meat, fish or eggs." Krishna doesn't accept eggs, so thus a devotee doesn't eat eggs either.

I am of the belief that all that we eat can be offered to God. I can remember when my son was 3 years old. And he made me the most gross lunches that you can imagine. They gave me nothing but pleasure. One time the bread had mud on it. I just put it to my lips and protended to eat. How can God be different ? Is She a worse parent then I am ? What type of parent would punish their child for giving them something with love in their heart.

Whatever we eat is that not already feeding God. So why not just offer it to Her first. (you dont need to put it on your alter) It seems the polite thing to do. Also this enables us not to turn a blind eye to our own behavior. How often can you look the Lord Krishna in the eye every time we eat something that is against our own belief system. It will change over time.

We are all Children, all God wants is us to grow in the right direction.

Jai Maa

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
But the Blue God can eat all sorts of other eggless things: halva (Indian and Persian variety), gulab jamuns, rasguls, ras malai, laddus, burfis, cakes, cheesecakes, pies, jalebis, cookies, tarts, milkshakes, smoothies, lassis... :eat:

Milkshakes? Surely milk is forbidden by Hinduism, too?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Taste wise?

Everything about them. An egg is part of a female's reproductive system. It's full of blood and mucus. It not only is icky in and of itself, it also tastes bad imo.

To me it is gross the way that any meat is gross. I don't see meat, flesh, blood and yes, mucus, etc. as food at all. But that's because I grew up without it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

No, although I also wonder why.

As for this idea that meat, eggs, etc taste good, Riverwolf is right. We like the things that we grow up with generally. A lot of people who grow up with a vegetarian diet absolutely despise the taste, smell and look of meat.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Everything about them. An egg is part of a female's reproductive system. It's full of blood and mucus. It not only is icky in and of itself, it also tastes bad imo.
I can understand your views. I don't eat eggs personally, but I do eat things with egg in them.

For example, jaffa cakes have egg in them, and I like them.
However, eggs themselves are eeew.

jaffa.jpg

vs​
fried-egg-with-sumac.jpg

We so need a vomiting smiley. :D

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm the same, O. I won't get bothered about something with egg in it if I can't detect it. It isn't immoral (in and of itself). But I can't get over the ickiness of egg if I can smell or taste it.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yeah, I don't know how people can eat it. I heave when visiting my parents and my mum is cooking bacon and fried egg sandwiches for my dad.

I'd prefer not using them in cooking and stuff, but I can't be so picky when it comes to pre-made foods. Even Quorn uses egg whites.

atmarama

Struggling Spiritualist
In my opinion, eggs are not vegeterian. All good stuff can be procured in eggless form.

Regards,

Agreed :yes:

me too :D

EddyM

I don't appreciate you undermining my religion by attaching a virtue such as the observance of offering the food to the Deity prior to consuming it to gluttony.

Yeah. Let's forbid nipples too.

:confused:
I don't get it.

The Prophet Muhammad said, "No child is born but upon an Unbeliever. It is his parents who make him a Jew or a Christian or a Polytheist." (Sahih Muslim, Book 033, Number 6426)

Are eggs Veggie-tarian? No they're Muslim.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

No, although I also wonder why.

As for this idea that meat, eggs, etc taste good, Riverwolf is right. We like the things that we grow up with generally. A lot of people who grow up with a vegetarian diet absolutely despise the taste, smell and look of meat.

I know it is all about personal taste. The idea of eating a decaying carcass is just repulsive. I eat meat for the first half of my life. I can see know reason to do it now.