• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Classrooms Necessary?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My biggest concern would be: Who gets to stay at home to take care of the children while they are learning online ?

Many families can't afford that.

Yes, schools for younger children tend to double as daycare. Um, maybe they could still go to school until Highschool and college. Make higher education more affordable and available.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Yes, schools for younger children tend to double as daycare. Um, maybe they could still go to school until Highschool and college. Make higher education more affordable and available.

Talking about higher education, yes!
Unless hands on experience is required, online education is awesome if done right.

joe1776

Education is one of the most thoroughly studied fields. The data is out there. Rigorous studies show that in person classrooms have many advantages. These studies have taken into account factors such as you mentioned.
Please don't take this personally but I am skeptical about the claims you made because I have recently been trying to determine if critical thinking can be taught. I've encountered the same kind of claims about research findings that you just made both pro and con on the topic.

Also, my personal experience doesn't support your claims. I have lived in one of the most affluent counties in the USA for most of my life. Our public schools have been ranked as being among the best in the nation for many years. My children and grandchildren were products of the same system.

I'd sum up my educational experience in public schools as 98% useless information -- trivia, boringly presented. I didn't tell my grandchildren this, but their education was the same boring experience as mine but with much more homework.

I struggled with attendance yet managed to graduate high school. But the mere thought of spending four more years in boring classrooms nauseated me, so I passed on college. When my bright grandson dropped out after the tenth grade, I knew what he was feeling.

I think our public school system works best for obedient students who can be convinced that grades are important and who aren't overly bright. I was disadvantaged by having a very high IQ and a skeptical attitude about the value of grades.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Just interjecting here, British people never use 'school' to mean university; so when you say 'school' we think from ages 4 to 16.

Shaul

Premium Member
Please don't take this personally but I am skeptical about the claims you made because I have recently been trying to determine if critical thinking can be taught. I've encountered the same kind of claims about research findings that you just made both pro and con on the topic.

Also, my personal experience doesn't support your claims. I have lived in one of the most affluent counties in the USA for most of my life. Our public schools have been ranked as being among the best in the nation for many years. My children and grandchildren were products of the same system.

I'd sum up my educational experience in public schools as 98% useless information -- trivia, boringly presented. I didn't tell my grandchildren this, but their education was the same boring experience as mine but with much more homework.

I struggled with attendance yet managed to graduate high school. But the mere thought of spending four more years in boring classrooms nauseated me, so I passed on college. When my bright grandson dropped out after the tenth grade, I knew what he was feeling.

I think our public school system works best for obedient students who can be convinced that grades are important and who aren't overly bright. I was disadvantaged by having a very high IQ and a skeptical attitude about the value of grades.
What I wrote was that in person classroom settings offer advantages. They do. I did not opine that schools, in general, are doing a good job. As I wrote, there is a lot of room for improvement. As also wrote that when done right they can be quite effective.

There is one more thing I would add. Public education is an easy target and the favorite whipping boy of some. Trust me in this, if someone can create a better alternative the world will beat a pathway to his house. Some think on line education is some sort of panacea. It isn’t. It has its place, as I have stated. But live classrooms exist for sound reasons. Now you say you want evidence. Here is one bit of evidence. Nothing has come along and replaced live classroom teaching. There are sound reasons that is so.

But I would be open minded to hear alternatives. It would eliminate a host of unpleasant features of my job.

MNoBody

Do you feel the brick and mortar schools are a necessity or should we maybe invest in online schools?

I feel that health, education and welfare are important to any civilized country. My concern however is the cost.

IMO, brick and mortar schools plus educational staff are costly. Is there a benefit to keeping them around?

You could educate the people at a far less cost using online schooling. Less staff, more automation, more consistency in the curriculum.

Or is there something lacking in this scenario?

137c2d4d0f1a3d538821cca1b905dcdb1.jpg

how can you have your pudding if you won't eat your meme

joe1776

... Now you say you want evidence. Here is one bit of evidence. Nothing has come along and replaced live classroom teaching. There are sound reasons that is so.
You and I will disagree on what those reasons might be. Number One on my list is that many teachers and administrators would lose jobs if we did away with live classroom teaching. I think teachers, as a group, are among the finest people on the planet but when their interests conflict with those of students, I think it's obvious that the students' interests must prevail.
But I would be open minded to hear alternatives. It would eliminate a host of unpleasant features of my job.
I am as skeptical of the research claims of the National Home Education Research Institute as I am of yours but they claim a much better result than those we might get from traditional classroom teaching. Moreover, if those stats are reliable, as online methods advance, the results should get better.

Research Facts on Homeschooling - National Home Education Research Institute

Last edited: