• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Christians offended by the Bible?

First of all I am not asking this as a joke, nor am I trying to provoke or mock anyone, so I would appreciate a proper response and not an attack.

I came across this video recently that claims to prove atheists wrong in 2 minutes. After watching it, I realized that all it did was humiliate Christianity. After reading the comments that others left under the video I couldn't help but notice how many Christians were offended by it. However, everything that is said in the video is directly from the bible. Does that mean people are offended or ashamed of what is written in the bible?

[youtube]tgL00Zv55Wc[/youtube]

4consideration

Premium Member
These are little snippets of text, taken out of context. If someone wishes to take them literally, I say that person may do so. I, personally, do not.

I think that people using verses from the bible as evidence against Christians is equally as bad as those that would take individual verses out the bible and use them against non-Christians -- both are judgements made from ignorance.

Last edited:
But isn't the difference that those who take the verses from the bible as evidence against Christians are not actually saying these lines are the truth?
I don't agree that it's the same, it's actually very different. It's a critical analysis of one's beliefs that could very well impact others.

These are little snipets of text, taken out of context. If someone wishes to take them literally, I say that person may do so. I, personally, do not.

I think that people using verses from the bible as evidence against Christians is equally as bad as those that would take individual verses out the bible and use them against non-Christians -- both are judgements made from ignorance.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it not wrong to blame God for what men have said?

I do not know what he was thinking when he argued that some scriptures in the Bible prove atheism is wrong. It is the worst sarcasm I have ever heard.

The Bible is not offensive to me but some people sure are.

4consideration

Premium Member
But isn't the difference that those who take the verses from the bible as evidence against Christians are not actually saying these lines are the truth?
I don't agree that it's the same, it's actually very different. It's a critical analysis of one's beliefs that could very well impact others.

I agree there are some people who do use little snippets from the bible to justify some oppositional position they have taken against others. Whether they are justifying their own negative attitudes toward others, or whether they are honestly doing their best to understand and follow the will of God -- I don't know. I don't think we can know the hearts and minds of other people. We can get clues by their actions. But, I don't think we can really KNOW.

I, personally, find it offensive to see people first make a judgement (especially if directed at me :)) and support that judgement with an out of context verse from the bible -- then seem to show their moral superiority by claiming that if I believe like they do "there is hope" for me.

But, NOT ALL Christians do that. Actually, IMO most Christians do not do that. It's just the loud-mouthed and offensive ones that seem to really stand out.

IMO, to take a verse out of the bible and apply a literal interpretation to it is not a true representation of the bible. There are historical, metaphorical, etc. contexts for reading the bible and getting various levels of understanding from it (which I do not claim to have any sort of expert grasp of) that lends a much different experience of reading it than if one were to take it all literally.

As I see it, taking the words out in such a way as was done in the video may be a dishonest use of it, or a use from ignorance. For example, many Christians do not believe that the directions and laws in the OT apply to Christians.

To take OT quotes and then say something like, "If you are a Christian, you think this ought to happen. See, your bible says so" is, at best, simply inaccurate. If a Christian does not view it in this way, and then someone that is not Christian says they ought to interpret it literally -- but they are wrong for it if they do -- that seems like an argument based upon ignorance -- to me.

Last edited:
Well in the video he/she claims that the Bible has made prophesies that came true.
Is it not wrong to blame God for what men have said?

I do not know what he was thinking when he argued that some scriptures in the Bible prove atheism is wrong. It is the worst sarcasm I have ever heard.

The Bible is not offensive to me but some people sure are.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
That video is bad and those people should feel bad.

I don't think I even need to deal with such bad satire that puts a couple tiny snippets of Scripture through the lens of an impression of a Christian fundamentalist, but I guess I'll indulge in my daily amount of condescension.

It should go without saying that that is NOT how 99% of Christians view the Bible, or use those particular Scriptures. The Mosaic law, for example, is disregarded by Christians, since Christ already fulfilled it and gave us the spiritual Law, the Law of the New Covenant.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well in the video he/she claims that the Bible has made prophesies that came true.

Does a prophesy that comes true prove the prophesy is from God? I don't think so. I have prophesied (in my head) people being removed from forum and I think all that I knew would be removed have been. OMG am I a prophet? Does it only count if it's out loud?

Fair enough, but the video mentions lines from the New Testament.
And if the Old Testament does not apply, do you believe the Jews are going to Hell?

I don't think I even need to deal with such bad satire that puts a couple tiny snippets of Scripture through the lens of an impression of a Christian fundamentalist, but I guess I'll indulge in my daily amount of condescension.

It should go without saying that that is NOT how 99% of Christians view the Bible, or use those particular Scriptures. The Mosaic law, for example, is disregarded by Christians, since Christ already fulfilled it and gave us the spiritual Law, the Law of the New Covenant.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
This is, unfortunately, nothing more than people resorting to Biblical literalism in order to mock others. Rather than having an honest discussion, it ignores historical criticism and treats the verses as sacrosanct.

And that is typically the position of a fundamentalist.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

This is what I would say, too.

Also, Those scriptures can be interpreted in many ways. Or some of them could be taken out of context (I didn't watch the video, since my computer is rather slow- I just have to guess at what scriptures they used- and I can guess pretty much which ones).

Don't think the ones in this video were taken out of context, but I know what you mean.

This is what I would say, too.

Also, Those scriptures can be interpreted in many ways. Or some of them could be taken out of context (I didn't watch the video, since my computer is rather slow- I just have to guess at what scriptures they used- and I can guess pretty much which ones).

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Fair enough, but the video mentions lines from the New Testament.

And if the Old Testament does not apply, do you believe the Jews are going to Hell?
No. I don't know who's going to Hell. All the patriarchs and prophets and righteous people of the Old Testament, along with everyone else before Christ, had the opportunity to accept Him when He descended into Hades.

As for the Jews of today, I cannot say. That will be on a case-by-case basis.

Shermana

Heretic

The Mosaic Law was not disregarded by the earliest Christians, only by the later Pauline orthodox, and even in the text, it implies that Jewish Christians are obligated to obey the Law (which is why they put Paul to the test of the votive offering), and the issues of things like the Council of Jerusalem are held by many scholars to be later interpolations. Jesus said anyone who breaks and teaches to break the "least" of the commandments shall be called the "least" in the Kingdom. It appears historically Christians have had no problem with being among the "least" in the Kingdom (as in lowest ranked, lowest glory, lowest standing). Jesus said that Heaven and Earth will collapse first before a single iota of the Law becomes void. He said that the "doers of Lawlessness" (those who break the Torah) ,even those who perform miracles in his name, will be rejected by him. Obviously this disregarding of the Law is not at all compatible with what Jesus actually taught, or what the original Nazarene Jewish Christians believed.

The idea of "fulfilling the Mosaic Law" is widely misunderstood to mean "Doing away with", as if Jesus said "I did not come to abolish the Law, I came to (abolish) it", meanwhile when Paul says to "fulfill" the Law of Christ, they don't think it means to do away with the Law of Christ, they can be a bit selective and arbitrary in how they interpret "fulfill".

The "Spiritual Law" of the "New Covenant" is not exactly well defined anywhere in the text, probably because it's not a new or different Law at all. In Jeremiah where the New Covenant is explained, it's talking about the same exact law that "Judah and Israel" already followed, except being written on the hearts of the remnant.

I can see why Christians would want to separate themselves from the OT to avoid the same PR problems that those who believe in the Law like the Jews might have, besides their own Theological and convenience issues, but then they are still left with quite a few cans of worms, like explaining the reasons for the carrying out of the Law before hand. Even Paul endorsed Slavery.

Also notice that when Paul says for women to remain silent, he says "As the Law says". Why would he say "As the Law says" if the Law was not binding? Was Paul picking and choosing?

We can find many PR problems for Christianity with or without obedience to the Law.

Last edited:

F0uad

Ridiculous video mocking a religion to make a point is really childish but this religion bashing coming from a atheist doesn't surprise me.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Even Paul endorsed Slavery.
Please might we have a scripture for this? It is my opinion that Paul offered council on ways to best handle the delicate subject of slavery but I am not familiar with any scripture where he actually endorses it. Is endorse the word you meant to use?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
99% of Christians disregard Mosaic law? I don't think that all those Christians who hold the Ten Commandments in high regard got that memo.

Please might we have a scripture for this? It is my opinion that Paul offered council on ways to best handle the delicate subject of slavery but I am not familiar with any scripture where he actually endorses it. Is endorse the word you meant to use?

Romans 13:1-2 (NASB)

1Every [a]person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. 2 Therefore [c]whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.

Keep in mind that Paul wrote this in a time and society where slavery was perfectly legal and established by the governing authorities. In fact, he probably knew when writing that letter that members of the congregation in Rome he was writing to would have been slaves themselves.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
99% of Christians disregard Mosaic law? I don't think that all those Christians who hold the Ten Commandments in high regard got that memo.
Perhaps you don't understand what I meant. The Ten Commandments are another matter entirely.

I meant we don't worry about clean vs. unclean, we don't worry about eating kosher, we don't worry about wearing tassels on our clothes, we don't worry about whether or not our clothes are mixed fabric, we don't worry about circumcision, we don't worry about animal sacrifices, etc, etc.