• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Buddhist and Hindu Scriptures Inaccurate?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It was suggested in another thread that Hindu and Buddhist scriptures may not accurately reflect the lives of Buddha and Krishna.

I am interested in hearing specifically what scriptures and what parts of these scriptures the denizens of RF feel are flawed or inaccurate with regard to the lives of these two avatara.

I see the inaccuracy would be what we made of either the Lives of Buddha and Krishna, or what they offered in scriptures.

We have no real way to reconcile that now, except if there is another Message given that shows us how to reconcile any error we may have instigated.

Regards Tony

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The question is ... (for at least the 7th time) Do the Baha'is believe that the Hindus got it wrong? Yes or no? (I still don't expect it to be answered. Didymus explained it well. (post 246)

As Hinduism has many sects with diverse beliefs there would be some beliefs which the Baha’i Faith endorses and others which it does not.

As an individual however, I must answer NO primarily because Hindus have many, many things right and spiritually in many ways are an example to all humanity of tolerance towards all Faiths and peoples, and they are people of peace and non violence (Ahimsa) This is how Hinduism teaches them to be.

According to the Bahá’í Sacred Writings you will find there is no distinct ‘yes or no’ but somewhere in the middle as far as all Faiths and Hinduism are concerned, because there’s a lot all the religions have got right.

In the Bahá’í Writings as well, there is no such teaching or thing as: ‘Hindus or Christians’ or any religion ‘got it all wrong’ simply because they haven’t got it all wrong.

There is far too much that religions and Hinduism have got right for me to say such a thing.

Baha’u’llah, I believe, supports the view that some teachings and beliefs are endorsed while others are not.

“Whatsoever runneth counter to the Teachings in this day is rejected, for the Sun of Truth is shining resplendent above the horizon of knowledge.”

The Tabernacle of Unity
Bahá’u’lláh

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Hi CG. Have you had your covid shot yet? I’m up in arms about it because both my wife and I have numerous risk factors. Between a rock and a hard place. Damned if I do and damned if I don’t.

Regarding Sources that are reliable.

Baha’is clearly have a few Divine Sources to turn to for guidance.

Abdul-Baha

In His Will, Baha’u’llah appoints Abdul-Baha as His Successor.

When the ocean of My presence hath ebbed and the Book of My Revelation is ended, turn your faces toward Him Whom God hath purposed, Who hath branched from this Ancient Root.’ The object of this sacred verse is none other except the Most Mighty Branch (‘Abdu'l-Bahá)

Regarding Interpretation

And, again, in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, we read:

“When the Mystic Dove will have winged its flight from its Sanctuary of Praise and sought its far- off goal, its hidden habitation, refer ye whatsoever ye understand not in the Book to Him Who hath branched from this mighty Stock.”

Baha’u’llah says Abdul-Baha is a most great Favor to Humanity

Render thanks unto God, O people, for His appearance; for verily He is the most great Favor unto you, the most perfect bounty upon you; and through Him every mouldering bone is quickened. Whoso turneth towards Him hath turned towards God..

Abdul-Bahá’s knowledge and wisdom according to Baha’u’llah

My glory, the ocean of My loving-kindness, the sun of My bounty, the heaven of My mercy rest upon Thee. We pray God to illumine the world through Thy knowledge and wisdom.

Shoghi Effendi

Then in the Will of Abdul-Baha regarding Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice..

The sacred and youthful branch, the Guardian of the Cause of God, as well as the Universal House of Justice, to be universally elected and established, are both under the care and protection of the Abhá Beauty, under the shelter and unerring guidance of the Exalted One (may my life be offered up for them both). Whatsoever they decide is of God. Whoso obeyeth him not, neither obeyeth them, hath not obeyed God; whoso rebelleth against him and against them hath rebelled against God; whoso opposeth him hath opposed God; whoso contendeth with them hath contended with God; whoso disputeth with him hath disputed with God; whoso denieth him hath denied God; whoso disbelieveth in him hath disbelieved in God; whoso deviateth, separateth himself and turneth aside from him hath in truth deviated, separated himself and turned aside from God.

So the authority with which Abdul-Baha and Shoghi Effendi has been invested is very clear, definite and powerful not iffy or minor.

And there is much Divine guidance from the sum of all these sources on the topics you mentioned but not everything. It is probably best we offer that guidance but for those topics we don’t have enough information about just to perhaps mention we don’t know.
Thanks for the information. No shot yet, I sent in an application and they said they'll let me know. I'm not too bad off health wise, but I'd probably still not do too good if I get it.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
That's their belief. As a Vaishnava Hindu my belief is that Kalki is Vishnu. Baha'u'llah, nor anyone else for that matter, hasn't fulfilled the prophecy of Kalki's appearance per Hindu, specifically Vaishnava, writings. Like another forum member, it's beginning to wear on me to be told what my religion and deities are and are not by anyone not of my religion. Reverence and respect are one thing, co-opting is not even so bad, but reworking to the point where God Himself says "I did what!?" is quite another.
Yes, I agree. But I understand why Baha'is do it. They are taught that Baha'u'llah is the fulfillment of all the major religions and has fulfilled the prophecies of all the major religions. And that all the major religions are all true and from the one true God and have been revealed in a progression. Then from there they have to find ways to show how all the things they say is true.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I agree with @Vinayaka but would like to add that as far as moral and ethical teachings, I am unaware of any inaccuracies because in essence both religions teach to be virtuous, of good character, to be humble and kind and such things which are eternal truths and never wrong or inaccurate.

So there is no real justification to find fault with these religions.
Like Christianity, there's a lot of different beliefs in Hinduism. They can't all be okay. Baha'is haven't had any problem telling Christians that they have certain beliefs that they don't believe are correct. And if Baha'is believe they are wrong, they should say so. Then say why they think they are wrong and let people decide. And really, Baha'is have done the same with Hindu beliefs. Any Hindu that believes in multiple Gods and reincarnation are told they are mistaken and have misinterpreted their Scriptures. If that is what Baha'is believe then fine. Okay, maybe not fine. What's not so fine is when Baha'is tell people in the other religions that they have misinterpreted their own Scriptures.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Yes Baha’is believe Buddha was a real person and the Founder of Buddhism. Is that the question you are referring to?
So... who was the Buddha? What do the different Buddhist sects say and what do Baha'is say? I've heard Baha'is say that the Buddha taught about there being only one God. Then, Baha'is make Buddha a manifestation. I'm not sure that is what Buddhist would say, but maybe. Or, more in line with Hindu beliefs, would the Buddha be an incarnation of Vishnu? Or, was he just an ordinary man that became enlightened? Then taught other how to attain it?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Like Christianity, there's a lot of different beliefs in Hinduism. They can't all be okay. Baha'is haven't had any problem telling Christians that they have certain beliefs that they don't believe are correct. And if Baha'is believe they are wrong, they should say so. Then say why they think they are wrong and let people decide. And really, Baha'is have done the same with Hindu beliefs. Any Hindu that believes in multiple Gods and reincarnation are told they are mistaken and have misinterpreted their Scriptures. If that is what Baha'is believe then fine. Okay, maybe not fine. What's not so fine is when Baha'is tell people in the other religions that they have misinterpreted their own Scriptures.

I think CG one important point is that the interpretations of Baha’u’llah and Abdul-Baha unite.

If for instance, Christians accepted Baha’u’llah’s interpretations of certain passages of the Bible, they would accept Muhammad, and the Jews would have accepted both Christ and Muhammad. This would have had a significant uniting effect upon humanity with peace as a result.

They would all now be brothers instead of some of them being sworn enemies.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
So... who was the Buddha? What do the different Buddhist sects say and what do Baha'is say? I've heard Baha'is say that the Buddha taught about there being only one God. Then, Baha'is make Buddha a manifestation. I'm not sure that is what Buddhist would say, but maybe. Or, more in line with Hindu beliefs, would the Buddha be an incarnation of Vishnu? Or, was he just an ordinary man that became enlightened? Then taught other how to attain it?

Buddha we believe was a Great Teacher Who’s teachings focused on ending suffering which was caused by attachment to this world and desire.

Blessed souls whether Moses, Jesus, Zoroaster, Krishna, Buddha, Confucius, or Muhammad were the cause of the illumination of the world of humanity. (Abdul-Baha)

There are a few major sects: Theravada, Mayahana and Pure Land Sect.

Some quotes from the Buddha...

Hatreds never cease by hatreds in this world. By love alone they cease. This is an ancient Law.

Not to do any evil, To cultivate good, To purify one’s mind, – This is the advice of the Buddhas.

Though he should conquer a thousand men in the battlefield a thousand times, yet he, indeed, who would conquer himself is the noblest victor. (Dhammapadda)

Baha’is see Him as equal to Manifestations of God like Christ, Muhammad and Baha’u’llah.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Buddha we believe was a Great Teacher Who’s teachings focused on ending suffering which was caused by attachment to this world and desire.

Blessed souls whether Moses, Jesus, Zoroaster, Krishna, Buddha, Confucius, or Muhammad were the cause of the illumination of the world of humanity. (Abdul-Baha)

There are a few major sects: Theravada, Mayahana and Pure Land Sect.

Some quotes from the Buddha...

Hatreds never cease by hatreds in this world. By love alone they cease. This is an ancient Law.

Not to do any evil, To cultivate good, To purify one’s mind, – This is the advice of the Buddhas.

Though he should conquer a thousand men in the battlefield a thousand times, yet he, indeed, who would conquer himself is the noblest victor. (Dhammapadda)

Baha’is see Him as equal to Manifestations of God like Christ, Muhammad and Baha’u’llah.

I think you will find that Buddhists don't care what Baha'is think. It's irrelevant to everyone except Baha'is.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's not so fine is when Baha'is tell people in the other religions that they have misinterpreted their own Scriptures.

It is the Message of Baha'u'llah that informs us what is from God and what is from our own selves.

Thus I guess you beef is directly with Baha'u'llah.

Regards Tony

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Baha'is have probably misinterpreted their own teachings too. :p

We are forbidden to interpret.

If you look up the codification of the Most Holy Book you will find it is the very first ‘prohibitions’.

Synopsis and Codification of the Kitáb-i-Aqdas - Bahaiworks, a library of works about the Bahá’í Faith

I regret people are trying to create misunderstandings towards us. It is the Prophets of God Who interpret not Baha’is. And They possess that authority from God.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I can't work out whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Well think about it. Christians and Muslims have been at war for centuries. Countless lives have been lost and much blood has been spilt. Jews also. Over what?

Muhammad, according to Baha’u’llah, was prophesied in the Bible. So let’s say that He was and Jews and Christians accepted Him. How many wars could have been prevented?

Universal brotherhood would be established by now. But instead, clinging to divisive interpretations, the world continues to hover on the brink of war between brothers.

Baha’u’llah came to extinguish that flame of hatred and prejudice by pointing out that all these religions are connected by their own scriptures.

The result is that in the Bahá’í world, Jew, Christian and Muslim all are brothers and accept each others religion, while elsewhere they are avowed enemies often warring or condemning each other in their churches and mosques and in commentaries.

Now I don’t know about you or others here, but I would much prefer the scenario where we are all having brotherhood and fellowship than pointing guns at each other, so I’m very happy to support Baha’u’llah because His objective is to unite the Jew, Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist in fellowship and friendship and have them live in peace with one another.