• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are atheists arrogant? immoral? angry?

AdamjEdgar

Your posts are very aggressive and reflect your anger, and arrogance. By the way I posted some s and questions you have not responded to.

Actually the atheist is simply the rejection of subjective beliefs in God, the miraculous and supernatural claims based on accepted practices and methods requiring objective evidence. You terribly complicate the basis for atheist belief.
I attended an online funeral yesterday and it reminded me of the sense of complete loss that atheists experience at such events. They have nothing to look forward to...no hope.

whether or not you wish to see another life after this one...that is your choice to make. All that i can do, is highlight the narrowmindedness of your stubborn choice.

I can also remind others that the philosophy of Christianity is quite explicit when it says we must choose God. If we do not participate in the team, we are not a team member and are therefore excluded...its that simple!

Joshua 24:15 King James Version

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Your posts are very aggressive and reflect your anger, and arrogance. By the way I posted some s and questions you have not responded to.

Actually the atheist is simply the rejection of subjective beliefs in God, the miraculous and supernatural claims based on accepted practices and methods requiring objective evidence. You terribly complicate the basis for atheist belief.
I have no obligation to respond to anyone’s questions. So sometimes I ignore them when I see no value to be gained in answering them.

I’m not here to ’defeat’ anyone, or to change anyone’s beliefs. And I’m certainly not here to be a foil for someone else’s delusions of righteousness. I’m here to challenge people’s thinking and beliefs because I see that as a service to them. And I also like to learn about how other people think, see the world and each other. We are an absolutely insane and fascinating species. Capable of incredible feats of love and horror even at the same time. That we exist and survive at all is inexplicable to me. So the anger you think you’re seeing is imaginary. But I don’t sugar coat our all-too-commun human stupidity, either. Nor do I presume I’m not just as capable of it as anyone else Is.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Actually over the history of RF threads like this are not uncommon that reveal the arrogance and anger of some theists toward atheists like the following: Atheists and their jargon of insults

@PureX tops the list in this thread.

La

I've known PureX from another forum for 15 years, and hadn't thought of him as being an angry poster, so out of curiosity at what I'd missed, I clicked on your link and - 40 pages to find out how angry and arrogant he is? That's way too many pages for me.

Anyway. He doesn't need and likely doesn't want my defending, but I'm gonna say this for the record. He's always been to me a kind and decent person who seems to enjoy interacting with other people and ideas. I've enjoyed my conversations with him over the years even while often completely disagreeing with him. My frustrations, minor as internet frustrations should be, is that he could bury me with words six ways from Sunday such that I was exhausted just thinking about where to start a rebuttal. Looking back now, I remember that with the humor that time provides. :)

F1fan

Veteran Member
I attended an online funeral yesterday and it reminded me of the sense of complete loss that atheists experience at such events. They have nothing to look forward to...no hope.
False. Atheists look forward to weekend plans, and events in the future. We hope to avoid traffic that will delay us getting to our destinations on time. What atheists don't do is obsess over death and oblivion. Atheists live their lives and take advantage of the time they have. They don't allow themselves to be duped by false claims of immortality, which is a claim that exploits the fear of death.
whether or not you wish to see another life after this one...that is your choice to make. All that i can do, is highlight the narrowmindedness of your stubborn choice.
Why would anyone waste time on these implausible ideas? Those who believe never came to a rational conclusion, it is just something they were told as children and never questioned it.
I can also remind others that the philosophy of Christianity is quite explicit when it says we must choose God. If we do not participate in the team, we are not a team member and are therefore excluded...its that simple!
Like other religions it isn't factual, nor plausible. That means no rational mind can conclude it is correct.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I've known PureX from another forum for 15 years, and hadn't thought of him as being an angry poster, so out of curiosity at what I'd missed, I clicked on your link and - 40 pages to find out how angry and arrogant he is? That's way too many pages for me.

Anyway. He doesn't need and likely doesn't want my defending, but I'm gonna say this for the record. He's always been to me a kind and decent person who seems to enjoy interacting with other people and ideas. I've enjoyed my conversations with him over the years even while often completely disagreeing with him. My frustrations, minor as internet frustrations should be, is that he could bury me with words six ways from Sunday such that I was exhausted just thinking about where to start a rebuttal. Looking back now, I remember that with the humor that time provides. :)
I will stand by may assessment. In fact, the atheists are very much in agreement as to my assessment. As I responded to @PureX it is not a matter of how you feel about yourself, but how you come across to others that is meaningful.

As the previous posts and threads cited this attitude of aggressive, andry, and arrogant view of the beliefs of atheists is unfortunately common among theist, though I will qualify this it is fortunately not a universal view.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I have no obligation to respond to anyone’s questions. So sometimes I ignore them when I see no value to be gained in answering them.

I’m not here to ’defeat’ anyone, or to change anyone’s beliefs. And I’m certainly not here to be a foil for someone else’s delusions of righteousness. I’m here to challenge people’s thinking and beliefs because I see that as a service to them. And I also like to learn about how other people think, see the world and each other. We are an absolutely insane and fascinating species. Capable of incredible feats of love and horror even at the same time. That we exist and survive at all is inexplicable to me. So the anger you think you’re seeing is imaginary. But I don’t sugar coat our all-too-commun human stupidity, either. Nor do I presume I’m not just as capable of it as anyone else Is.
Not imaginary at all. I stand by my posts. Your attitude toward atheists and how and why they believe is arrogant , angry and aggressive.

I responded to your post in the past and responded to your list with specific meaningful questions and you failed to respond..

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Joshua 24:15 King James Version

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

What you fail to understand is everyone does not believe as you do, nor respond to the question dying as you do. This response does not show any empathy as toward the atheists view of life and death. For that matter how the diversity of the religions in history and now view life and death.

Atheists are not at a "complete loss they experience" when a loved on or friend dies. This called the 'projection of your beliefs on others who believe differently What you are saying is they should be at a "complete loss" based on what you believe.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Funny...I always feel sorry for the cultural Christians tying themselves in knots as they try to make sense of pain, grief and loss.
I'm also constantly bemused by the under-appreciation of life views like yours seem to harbor.

RestlessSoul

The history of your posts do have problems concerning your misuse of "faith" in reference to Popper's proposals, Methodological Naturalism and science.. Reading your posts in full do not always work.

We all have faith in the things we rely on. We could hardly proceed without it. Faith in God may be a step too far for some, especially perhaps, for those who have the most faith in what they see as their own super-rational intellect. But our own resources usually fail us at some point; for all our achievements, and especially for all our pride therein, we humans are not that powerful, individually or collectively.

For me the only difference between faith in human potential and endeavour, and faith in God, is that the latter will never let you down. But in either case, faith is at work in all our lives, every day.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Not imaginary at all. I stand by my posts. Your attitude toward atheists and how and why they believe is arrogant , angry and aggressive.
I'm pretty sure I would know better how I feel than you.
I responded to your post in the past and responded to your list with specific meaningful questions and you failed to respond..
Because it would be a waste of time. You have no interest whatever in my responses beyond trying everything in your power to disregard them. At this point your whole goal is to be right. And I don't really care how right you think you are. So why would I bother?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I hope you feel well, but your aggressive attitude toward atheists sucks.
Because it would be a waste of time. You have no interest whatever in my responses beyond trying everything in your power to disregard them. At this point your whole goal is to be right. And I don't really care how right you think you are. So why would I bother?
It is not a question as to who is right. It is a question of attitudes towards those who believe differently.

In fact, the atheists very mush agree with my view of your arrogant, aggressive and ange attitude toward atheists.

The bottomline is how others believe in your attitude and NOT how you feel(?) about yourself.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Nice fallacious appeal to emotion.

How many religions do you know off that have a different philosophy?
You are not a member of the islam team either.
Or the scientology team. Or the norse gods team. Or ...

So what?

Also, what is your point by saying that?
Do you think non-believers are going to care about that?
To me, a non-believer, this is about as impressive as trying to tell me that Santa won't bring me presents if I don't believe in him.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
And I also like to learn about how other people think

If that's true, you might want to start accepting what people think instead of insisting on telling them what they think.

In these past few days for example, you have told me on at least 4 occasions that "i believe no god exists" or even that I "claim no gods exist" or how my atheism is a "belief", while I corrected you every time. And I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before you'll repeat your strawman.

But I don’t sugar coat our all-too-commun human stupidity, either. Nor do I presume I’m not just as capable of it as anyone else Is.
Your posts do not reflect such at all.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I absolutely LOVE how you first say that you are pretty sure that you know better how you feel then people who aren't you.....
Only to then pretend in the very next 2 sentences to know better how HE feels then he himself does.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
We all have faith in the things we rely on. We could hardly proceed without it. Faith in God may be a step too far for some, especially perhaps, for those who have the most faith in what they see as their own super-rational intellect. But our own resources usually fail us at some point; for all our achievements, and especially for all our pride therein, we humans are not that powerful, individually or collectively.
For me the only difference between faith in human potential and endeavour, and faith in God, is that the latter will never let you down. But in either case, faith is at work in all our lives, every day.

As before as in the bold above your generic layman use of "faith" as faith in anything, The problem is how you are using "faith" in terms of science and religion claiming the standards of faith are the same. This is a misuse of "faith" in terms of Popper's proposals, and the development of Methodological Naturalism and religion.

Your misuse of negative in the goals of Methodological Naturalism is severely problematic. Yes, by Popper's proposal the goal of Methodological Naturalism is to find theories and hypothesis false, but you are neglecting the fact the Popper's proposal of falsification is the use of 'positive objective evidence to falsify and determine the natural predictability of theories and hypotheses.

In religion the faith and belief in God and other subjective beliefs in miracles and the supernatural require subjective faith to believe, Religions and subjective belief systems are based on faith. The generic layman neutral use of "faith" is not meaningful.

Proper use of faith in our dialogue: Definition of FAITH

(1) belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion

Generic layman use of faith which does not relate to the dialogue at hand.

(1) a : allegiance to duty or a person : LOYALTY
lost faith in the company's president

(1) : fidelity to one's promises
(2) sincerity of intentions
acted in good faith

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
If that's true, you might want to start accepting what people think instead of insisting on telling them what they think.

In these past few days for example, you have told me on at least 4 occasions that "i believe no god exists" or even that I "claim no gods exist" or how my atheism is a "belief", while I corrected you every time. And I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before you'll repeat your
The problem is you continue to misrepresent belief so you can hide behind this silly claim of "unbelief" while you attack other people for theirs. Yet when I listed all the foolish justifications that most of the atheists here these days believe in you and the others all jump to defend them. Because you believe in every one of them. And you say so all the time.

So you're trying to talk out of both sides of your mouth at the same time, and claiming you're an open minded "unbeliever" when you're a closed minded true believer in the righteousness of 'scientific' atheism. Then you pretend to be all victimized when someone calls you out on it. Every time you demand someone else must convince you of the validity of their beliefs in the kangaroo court of your own mind you reveal yourself not to be open minded. Every time you presume that no gods exist unless someone can convince you otherwise you are stating your own atheist belief. Every time you claim that unfalsifiable or subjective evidence isn't evidence you are stating your belief in your own biased idea of evidence. And the fact that you can't even consider any alternative possibilities just shows how closed your mind has become as a result of all this belief.

And then you try to claim that your atheism is just "unbelief". When it's a whole collection of biased, unfounded, illogical and baseless beliefs.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It took faith for the likes of Einstein and Hawking to dedicate galaxies of intellectual effort to the search for a unifyi field theory; a faith unrewarded in their lifetimes.
That's a different meaning of faith than religious-type faith, which is unfounded and thus unjustified belief. Theoretical scientists have excellent evidence that such efforts occasionally pay great dividends. That's based in evidence, in history, and experience.
How would you know what the inner life of an atheist is? Atheists on this thread have already told you that you don't understand them, but that probably isn't important to you. Use your head. If any atheist felt hopeless and wanted the hope of an afterlife, he could turn to religion and see if that helped. As for me, I'm happy outside of religion, and I don't believe the promises of an afterlife. That's not the kind of hope I have, want, or need.
the conclusion that if no one else can prove to you to your satisfaction that God exists, then no gods exist, doesn't raise any red flags?
Straw man. Only strong atheists make that claim, and they are the minority of atheists. You know that, but repeat this falsehood incessantly.
Why would a God want or need to prove anything to anyone? I can't think of a single reason. So why I should expect any proof?
Why should a person care if such a god existed? I don't. Maybe there is some entity somewhere that would fit the description of a god, like the deist god, who is believed to have crated the universe then left it. Why would knowing that matter at all. Even if I knew that it was correct for a fact, still, so what? This is apatheism.
What is absurd is demanding a kind of evidence that you couldn't even identify or validate if you had it, and then proclaiming that your not getting it is supposed mean something.
The atheist demands nothing from the theist. As you note, the theist doesn't have that evidence. The atheist knows this. If there were such evidence, he's know about himself without the help of theists, so why ask them for it? You're misunderstanding what is really being said. It's not, "Where's your evidence?" It's "There is insufficient evidence for an empiricist and critical thinker to believe that gods exist, so I live as if they don't." If you object to that, then you're insecure regarding being disagreed with.
All it means is that those of you demanding it were fools to begin with, for demanding what you couldn't possibly even recognize if you had if.
I don't think you've correctly identified who the fool in this scenario is.
You are only seeing what accords with what you already believe to be true. That's how a closed mind works.
Yes, but that doesn't describe the critical thinker. That describes the confirmation bias that follow when one believes by faith.

What you want is for him to let down his defenses and allow false and unfalsifiable ideas into his world view as the faith-based thinker does. The bias he takes into the process is that that is a foolish thing to do. His mind is always open to evaluating new evidence, but nothing gets past the lobby and into the main library that doesn't pass muster. The open part of the mind is the front door, but ideas aren't getting past the reception desk without proper inspection according to rules that allow one to distinguish correct ideas from other kinds of ideas.
If God were hovering in the air right in front of you, right now, in a "blaze of glory" (whatever that would mean) how would you "falsify" the apparent visitation? How could you prove to yourself or to anyone else that it was actually God, and not some clever alien species appearing to you in a way that it thinks you will better understand? Or perhaps it's a very clever magician's trick intended to prank you. Or perhaps your own mind is playing tricks on you. And already you know that you could not possibly prove that it was God because you already know that no theists could possibly prove their experiences of God, to you.
More reasons to not believe in gods.
That's not a problem with the claims, it's a problem with your way too narrow means of dealing with the claims.
You like to use the word problem in this context, but whenever I've asked you to explain how using this method to discern what is true is a problem, or to demonstrate how you have benefitted from softer, less focused thinking, it's always crickets, so I won't bother to ask you again. I'll tell you. This is another are where I KNOW that you cannot provide any evidence.
And your absurdly biased response when you can't deal with them.
His bias is that he wants to hold only correct ideas, and that critical thinking is the only method that generates them. And he's correct. If he weren't, you would be able to falsify that belief with an example of knowledge arrived at using soft thinking (faith). But you can't. A correct idea cannot be falsified, and a correct idea is one that can be used to anticipate outcomes. Other kinds of ideas just aren't helpful except perhaps to comfort those who can be comforted by them.
I'm not the one claiming that God doesn't exist unless someone can prove to me that it does, and by all my own rules.
No, you're the one repeatedly reproducing this straw man. And you don't seem to mind being seen as unteachable. What do think that does to your arguments about open- and closed-mindedness in others? What do you think that does for your ethos, which includes how people perceive your ability to reason well and your reliability?
You think your method of evaluation is the only possible reasonable, logical method, but it's not.
Yes it is. If it weren't, you could falsify the claim that empiricism is the only path to knowledge about how reality works by producing knowledge derived by another method, but you've demonstrated that you can't.
I can assure you that I am not the least bit angry.
You dislike atheists, you disapprove of them, and you post derogatory comments about them using words like fool and absurd. What's the emotion driving that? If not outright anger, then contempt.
The problem is you continue to misrepresent belief so you can hide behind this silly claim of "unbelief" while you attack other people for theirs. then you try to claim that your atheism is just "unbelief". When it's anything but.
No problem. If it were, you could say and show how. And no misrepresentation. He doesn't believe in gods. Neither do I. And neither of us say that gods don't exist. But you simply cannot or will not assimilate that simple idea. Instead, you see intellectual and character defects in those making such statements and accuse them of lying and hiding their true beliefs, as if they have some reason to hide them from you.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The problem is you continue to misrepresent belief so you can hide behind this silly claim of "unbelief" while you attack other people for theirs. Yet when I listed all the foolish justifications that most of the atheists here these days believe in you and the others all jump to defend them. Because you believe in every one of them. And you say so all the time.
I responded to your list and you failed to answer my questions. Yes, the atheist belief is based on the lack of objective evidence for the existence of Gods, miracles, and the supernatural. You may not agree, but it is well grounded standard of what is the objective in the nature of our physical existence and the subjective potential of what lies beyond.

Theist must realize that their beliefs are based on the subjective only if the desire to dialogue successfully with not only atheists, but other theists and beliefs that are different.
So you're trying to talk out of both sides of your mouth at the same time, and claiming you're an open minded "unbeliever" when you're a closed minded true believer in the righteousness of 'scientific' atheism. Then you pretend to be all victimized when someone calls you out on it. Every time you demand someone else must convince you of the validity of their beliefs in the kangaroo court of your own mind you reveal yourself not to be open minded. Every time you presume that no gods exist unless someone can convince you otherwise you are stating your own biased belief. Every time you claim that unfalsifiable or subjective evidence isn't evidence you are stating your own belief in your own bias idea of evidence. And the fact that you can't even consider any alternative possibilities just shows how closed your mind has become as a result of this belief.

And then you try to claim that your atheism is just "unbelief". When it's a whole collection of biased, unfounded, illogical beliefs.

Note: I bolded the aggressive, arrogant and angry terminology you have consistently used in your posts in your emotional condemnation of what and why atheists believe as they do. Your accusations are actually false generalization and do not objectively present what are the reasons and why atheists believe.

Is also apparent that you mindlessly repeat the same accusations in negative terms in post after post without addressing thactual reasons atheists believe as the do. Do you realize this problem?

Actually I am a Theist, and I do not defend the atheist belief. I simply present objectively what atheists believe and why. It is called empathy and understanding of the beliefs of others one does not share. I am more inclined to defend the agnostic, and philosophic agnosticism then the atheist position.

Last edited:

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I will stand by may assessment. In fact, the atheists are very much in agreement as to my assessment. As I responded to @PureX it is not a matter of how you feel about yourself, but how you come across to others that is meaningful.

Of course. I didn't set out to change your mind. I just happened to randomly come across your post and I wanted to share some history of how he comes across to me. (Hopefully I qualify as a member of the group of others you mentioned!)

Firenze

Premium Member

So you're trying to talk out of both sides of your mouth at the same time, and claiming you're an open minded "unbeliever" when you're a closed minded true believer in the righteousness of 'scientific' atheism. Then you pretend to be all victimized when someone calls you out on it. Every time you demand someone else must convince you of the validity of their beliefs in the kangaroo court of your own mind you reveal yourself not to be open minded. Every time you presume that no gods exist unless someone can convince you otherwise you are stating your own biased belief. Every time you claim that unfalsifiable or subjective evidence isn't evidence you are stating your own belief in your own bias idea of evidence. And the fact that you can't even consider any alternative possibilities just shows how closed your mind has become as a result of this belief.

And then you try to claim that your atheism is just "unbelief". When it's a whole collection of biased, unfounded, illogical beliefs.
And after all that, still no god appears.