• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all Religions the Same ?- Dr. David Frawley

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe all religions are the same in that they all reveal the same spiritual teachings, but religions are different because the primary message of each religion is different and the social teachings and laws of each religion are different.
Not all religions even have spiritual teachings. Not all involve social teachings or laws.

Social norms and laws are often seen as human social, ethical or legal norms, not as divine mandates.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Cult isn't about numbers, but about silliness.
How silliness? Isn't your religion silly, if you look at it critically?
Does silly mean strange or unfamiliar, to you?

Last edited:

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Howdy.
I was browsing youtube looking for different content related to Dharma and came across this video. I thought it was pretty interesting and might be something worth sharing. What do you guys think about the content of the video?
Over an hour?
Could you just summarise his main points?
Thanks.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But not all religions believe in or involve a god. In those that do, not all gods are lawgivers, creators or judges. Not all gods are involved in the affairs of man.

God as a lawgiver or rulemaker, or judge is an Abrahamic thing.
You are correct, and since I believe in an Abrahamic religion I believe that God is a creator, lawgiver and judge. I can only speak from my own perspective and I do not expect people to agree with me. This is a discussion for me, not a debate to win.
That would rule out most religions as "true religions."
It would rule out some religions as true religions from 'my perspective' of what a religion is.
My belief regarding the nature of religion is that a true religion is a revelation from God through a Messenger of God.
That is a belief unique to your religion. Do you have any evidence supporting it?
The evidence are the Messengers of God who have been sent by God, according to my beliefs.
If you'd watched the video you'd know that not all religions are organized social institutions. Not all are concerned with 'humanity', or with communicating a message.
I did not have time to watch the video but maybe I will find time later.

KWED

I'm not big on religious people who like to call themselves 'Dr'.
As the maitre d' of a renowned New York restaurant would say when people called themselves "doctor" when attempting to make a reservation... "Would that be a real doctor, or merely a PhD?"

KWED

Frawley is a doctor...so, "dr" makes sense
He has a "Doctor of Oriental Medicine" degree via a correspondence course from the International Institute of Chinese Medicine, Santa Fe, New Mexico, a school for acupuncture which closed in 2003 due to "administrative and governance irregularities" and financial problems." :tearsofjoy:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
He has a "Doctor of Oriental Medicine" degree via a correspondence course from the International Institute of Chinese Medicine, Santa Fe, New Mexico, a school for acupuncture which closed in 2003 due to "administrative and governance irregularities" and financial problems." :tearsofjoy:
Apparently there were issues involving its accreditation.

Sounds better than Hovinds 'Patriot University' I'll give it that.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What would that be for instance? Some are seeing to dominate others? Some are seeking for self-pleasure? I'd say those are not considered religious goals.
Well, the goal the Hindu traditions are to alter neurologic pathways or brain chemistry, to induce a sort of seizure altering one's individual perception of "reality." Any gods or rituals are just aids to this goal.

The Buddhist tradition has a similar ultimate goal, but is more a psychotherapeutic modality, focused on mental health issues.

The Ancient Greek gods were like humans with superpowers, mostly concerned with their own affairs and squabbles. They'd occasionally become annoyed with something humans did, or pleased or amused. They'd occasionally interact, but we and our affairs weren't their primary interest.

Last edited:

KWED

Apparently there were issues involving its accreditation.

Sounds better than Hovinds 'Patriot University' I'll give it that.
From his Wiki page... "While being rejected by academia, he has been successful in the popular market".
So yeah, seems you were right to be sceptical of his credentials.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From his Wiki page... "While being rejected by academia, he has been successful in the popular market".
So yeah, seems you were right to be sceptical of his credentials.
It's not just Christianity that has its charlatans.

Anyone claiming professionalism, warrants a check on credentials to see if it's legit or not in respect to the title of Dr.

Once I saw his 'degree' it was all I needed to think religious con artist with fake credentials.

He's in it for the money would be my guess.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are correct, and since I believe in an Abrahamic religion I believe that God is a creator, lawgiver and judge. I can only speak from my own perspective and I do not expect people to agree with me. This is a discussion for me, not a debate to win.
Sorry, when you made a broad statement like:
"I believe all religions are the same in that they all reveal the same spiritual teachings,..."
though, I assumed you were speaking of religion in general, as a universal human institution, rather than an individual religion. You did say "all religions."

The thread is about "all religions" and exploress their similarities and differences. If everyone just gave a summary of her own religious views it would be a pretty dull discussion, if discussion at all.
The evidence are the Messengers of God who have been sent by God, according to my beliefs.
And what makes this evidence any better than the evidence of any revealed religion?
I did not have time to watch the video but maybe I will find time later.
It is rather long, but then, few subjects can be discussed in any depth in just five or ten minutes.
It is an interesting lecture, though I get the impression his audience already had some familiarity with the subject and it's terminology.
Check it out, if you have the time, and tell me what you think. ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As the maitre d' of a renowned New York restaurant would say when people called themselves "doctor" when attempting to make a reservation... "Would that be a real doctor, or merely a PhD?"
LOL! I look at it the other way round. A PhD is a man of ideas; a physician, a practitioner of a trade. ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
According to my beliefs all religions of God have these things, but not everyone shares my beliefs.
So "all religions of God" would then rule out 90% of the world's religions.
We'd pretty much be discussing whether all Abrahamic religions were the same. That would obviate the point of including the video in the OP, wouldn't?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sorry, when you made a broad statement like:
though, I assumed you were speaking of religion in general, as a universal human institution, rather than an individual religion. You did say "all religions."
Sorry, I was referring to what I believe are all the revealed religions, not to all religions.
And what makes this evidence any better than the evidence of any revealed religion?
It is not necessarily 'better' but it is more verifiable since Baha'u'llah appeared in contemporary history and that history was chronicled by those who lived during His lifetime.
It is rather long, but then, few subjects can be discussed in any depth in just five or ten minutes.
It is an interesting lecture, though I get the impression his audience already had some familiarity with the subject and it's terminology.
Check it out, if you have the time, and tell me what you think. ;)
I will let you know if I find time see it. :) I might just listen to it while I am doing something else on my other computer.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So "all religions of God" would then rule out 90% of the world's religions.
We'd pretty much be discussing whether all Abrahamic religions were the same. That would obviate the point of including the video in the OP, wouldn't?
No, I do not believe that only the Abrahamic religions were revealed by God, but that opens up a whole nother can of worms. ;)
I will try to listen to the video to see what he was talking about, otherwise I cannot have an opinion.

stanberger

I say they are all different because they speak to different audiences with different needs. I see it as essentially the same message, just tailored to fit the different culture's needs. But they are different approaches, such as the path of devotion, the path of service, the path of love, etc.