• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apologising in public

Akivah

Due to the lack of responses, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there is nothing in Jewish law regarding your question.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think there is in terms of when one publicly demeans another in an attempt at character assassination, whereas we must make up for the damage we've done.

Akivah

That is only for teshuvah in a specific circumstance, if that is what is needed. Apologizing in public is not a generic action that is specifically mentioned in the Tanakh.

metis

That is only for teshuvah in a specific circumstance, if that is what is needed. Apologizing in public is not a generic action that is specifically mentioned in the Tanakh.
But undoing damage is, and I know of at least one commentary that has it that publicly demeaning a fellow Jew is tantamount to murder, although the possible penalty is obviously different. BTW, see items #28 and #33 here: http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm .

metis

And where does it say that the teshuvah must be done in public?
It's not necessarily what's said but a matter of reversing the wrong. If I publicly demean you in order to defame you, then I logically should publicly apologize. It's not always just that which is written that one should follow. We have an obligation to correct our wrongs, so if we publicly defame someone, then we should publicly try and make up for it. That's unless you think we should just say 10 Hail Mary's? ;)

Akivah

It's not necessarily what's said but a matter of reversing the wrong. If I publicly demean you in order to defame you, then I logically should publicly apologize. It's not always just that which is written that one should follow. We have an obligation to correct our wrongs, so if we publicly defame someone, then we should publicly try and make up for it.
Then you are agreeing with my post #4. Todah.