• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apathetic Agnosticism vs Agnostic Atheism

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
TMK, the apathetic agnostic doesn't know or care, while the ag-ath just doesn't know for sure.

HonestJoe

What's the real difference between the two?
Agnostic describes a position on knowledge, atheist describes a position on belief while apathy describes a position on significance.

I'm not convinced any of the three are mutually exclusive though - someone could be agnostic, atheist and apathetic (on this subject). In fact, I'd suggest that this is the default position on the majority of people these days.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Agnostic describes a position on knowledge, atheist describes a position on belief while apathy describes a position on significance.

I'm not convinced any of the three are mutually exclusive though - someone could be agnostic, atheist and apathetic (on this subject). In fact, I'd suggest that this is the default position on the majority of people these days.

That's probably what I am then. Although I do like debating God's existence :p

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The apathetic agnostic is too spineless and wishy-washy to simply admit the fact that she doesn't hold the belief that god exists. There is often an attempt to avoid the issue through pedantry and obfuscation.

9Westy9

Premium Member
The apathetic agnostic is too spineless and wishy-washy to simply admit the fact that she doesn't hold the belief that god exists. There is often an attempt to avoid the issue through pedantry and obfuscation.

make me the exception then :p

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Atheism is about believing that X is not true (where the opposite is Theism.... kinda)
Agnosticism is about not knowing if X is true (where the opposite is Gnosticism)
Apatheism is about not really caring if X is true (I do not think the term 'pathos' really seems to be a term that fits the meaning despite being the opposite of apathy)

So yes, you can be all three in relation to any particular metaphysical concept or series of concepts; however that does not mean you will have the same category in relation to alternative metaphysical concepts (for example being atheistic about G-d yet theistic towards Zeus, or apathetic about the existence of heaven yet extremely concerned about the possibility of reincarnation and how it may affect your existence)

Last edited:

Zarkhes

Hi, just a quick question.No need to strike me with with divine wrath! :bow:

I had a long conversation with my good friend, and i have discover that i dont realy know where i stand on a field of religion/spirituality.So, here i am, hoping that you can give me answers, or even better pigeonhole (is that a word?) me!

In short, i values things like individuality, freedom, respect and so forth.It would be hypocrite of me if i would call myself an Atheist.I dont feel need to fight against other peoples beliefs.If i can believe in something (philosophy, virtues...) so can others.And so long as someone dont force me THEIR ideas, i cant force them MY ideas.

Closest term i came across is apatheism.But its more ,,I dont care,, opinion.I am sure...No, I KNOW that existence or absence of God would not change my behavior.

We all know that relligion was behind some of the worst things in history (Spanish Inquisition, collonization of new world, fire in alexandeia library), but so was countless others atrocities caused by man (and WOMAN, huray to equality) himself.But we can see that to some people, it brings comfort and happiness.So who am i to take it away from them?

So, what term in Irreligion cathegory would describe people like me best?How would you name me?What label would you stick upon my freespirit-toleration-loving-solongasyoudontstickcrossuptomyass-loving forehead?

9Westy9

Premium Member
Hi, just a quick question.No need to strike me with with divine wrath! :bow:

I had a long conversation with my good friend, and i have discover that i dont realy know where i stand on a field of religion/spirituality.So, here i am, hoping that you can give me answers, or even better pigeonhole (is that a word?) me!

In short, i values things like individuality, freedom, respect and so forth.It would be hypocrite of me if i would call myself an Atheist.I dont feel need to fight against other peoples beliefs.If i can believe in something (philosophy, virtues...) so can others.And so long as someone dont force me THEIR ideas, i cant force them MY ideas.

Closest term i came across is apatheism.But its more ,,I dont care,, opinion.I am sure...No, I KNOW that existence or absence of God would not change my behavior.

We all know that relligion was behind some of the worst things in history (Spanish Inquisition, collonization of new world, fire in alexandeia library), but so was countless others atrocities caused by man (and WOMAN, huray to equality) himself.But we can see that to some people, it brings comfort and happiness.So who am i to take it away from them?

So, what term in Irreligion cathegory would describe people like me best?How would you name me?What label would you stick upon my freespirit-toleration-loving-solongasyoudontstickcrossuptomyass-loving forehead?

apatheism and/ or agnosticism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It would be hypocrite of me if i would call myself an Atheist.I dont feel need to fight against other peoples beliefs.If i can believe in something (philosophy, virtues...) so can others.And so long as someone dont force me THEIR ideas, i cant force them MY ideas.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but you seem to be implying that you would have to want to fight other people's beliefs to be an Atheist.

That is not so. You just have to lack a belief in deities.

Then apatheist for certain.

Quite possibly agnostic and/or atheist as well.

That is another question, though, isn't it? Whether you have the right to fight others' beliefs is not all that related to what your own beliefs (or absence of same) are.

You have pretty much stated that you are an Apatheist.

I suspect that you are also an Atheist and an Agnostic. It is a pretty cool and common combo, that. Although I am suspect to say. :D

However, I don't think you and I have quite the same understanding of what an Atheist is. You seem to believe it must be some sort of militant cause.