• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone here stutter?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
With the stress I've been under... losing the job, no job prospects, more stress than I care to think or go into detail about, is it any wonder I have developed a rather significant stutter?

Yeah... a stutter. Granted, I always wrote better than I speak. Speaking, I tend to fumble for words, forget them, stumble, pause, halt, can’t start a word or sentence. But now it's become a full-blown outright stutter. It's been coming on slowly over a few years, but in the past week it went off the rails. I read about it, "stress-related stuttering". It may go away or it may not. Supposedly rare, especially at my age, but not unheard of.

It's worse when I get frustrated or agitated. I was having trouble saying something and finally said something like “I sound like a [r-word]”. Husband threatened to punch my lights out if I ever called myself that again. The weird thing is that I don't stutter when I talk to myself, sing or chant my Sanskrit prayers. Only when talking normal conversation. What I read about it after it started said all those same things.

So yeah... as if my life isn't stupid enough. Is there anyone else who this part of? Tips, advice. The biggest advice I got so far is to roll with it, accept it and embrace it, and if anyone is negative about it to you, “**** ‘em”. Lol

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Since my 4 strokes.....I'm constantly searching for invisible syllables...
over 3 syllables and I'm in trouble....sooooo....."****'em". also

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Since my 4 strokes.....I'm constantly searching for invisible syllables...
over 3 syllables and I'm in trouble....sooooo....."****'em". also

Right!? :eek: My husband asked me last night if thought I had a small stroke. I said I don’t think so, because I don’t have any of the other effects of a stroke. :shrug:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Nor did I...until I couldn't talk at all...2 yrs of re-hab

been a while and I'm doing much better.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My youngest daughter stutters when she is excited, we found it best to unwind the excitement, slow her down by getting her to think about the words she wants to use and be patient while shes getting the words out.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Right!? :eek: My husband asked me last night if thought I had a small stroke. I said I don’t think so, because I don’t have any of the other effects of a stroke. :shrug:

Worth getting checked out. Dad had a stroke with only one symptom, it hit the part of his brain that alcohol attacks so it seemed to him like he was drunk for a month. The symptom, dizziness.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Worth getting checked out. Dad had a stroke with only one symptom, it hit the part of his brain that alcohol attacks so it seemed to him like he was drunk for a month. The symptom, dizziness.

I would except for that pesky don’t-have-insurance thing. :(

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My youngest daughter stutters when she is excited, we found it best to unwind the excitement, slow her down by getting her to think about the words she wants to use and be patient while shes getting the words out.

Sometimes that happens. It’s probably and hopefully only the verbal equivalent of them tripping over own feet getting excited.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
With the stress I've been under... losing the job, no job prospects, more stress than I care to think or go into detail about, is it any wonder I have developed a rather significant stutter?

Yeah... a stutter. Granted, I always wrote better than I speak. Speaking, I tend to fumble for words, forget them, stumble, pause, halt, can’t start a word or sentence. But now it's become a full-blown outright stutter. It's been coming on slowly over a few years, but in the past week it went off the rails. I read about it, "stress-related stuttering". It may go away or it may not. Supposedly rare, especially at my age, but not unheard of.

It's worse when I get frustrated or agitated. I was having trouble saying something and finally said something like “I sound like a [r-word]”. Husband threatened to punch my lights out if I ever called myself that again. The weird thing is that I don't stutter when I talk to myself, sing or chant my Sanskrit prayers. Only when talking normal conversation. What I read about it after it started said all those same things.

So yeah... as if my life isn't stupid enough. Is there anyone else who this part of? Tips, advice. The biggest advice I got so far is to roll with it, accept it and embrace it, and if anyone is negative about it to you, “**** ‘em”. Lol

I work with a guy who has a stutter, and it is worse when under pressure, or speaking publically.
He says it's tightly related to his breathing. Control his breathing, literally taking a breath and framing words in his mind before speaking, helps considerably.

He is able to keep it manageable, and holds down a fairly stressful job with a lot of oral communication involved.

PS. No one thinks this has anything to do with his intelligence, or abilities.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I must say that I cannot hear it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I work with a guy who has a stutter, and it is worse when under pressure, or speaking publically.
He says it's tightly related to his breathing. Control his breathing, literally taking a breath and framing words in his mind before speaking, helps considerably.

He is able to keep it manageable, and holds down a fairly stressful job with a lot of oral communication involved.

PS. No one thinks this has anything to do with his intelligence, or abilities.

True, it’s varyIng according to how relaxed I am. If I take a deep breath when I start to lose control of my speech it helps.

Thanks for the example.

pearl

My husband has had a stuttering problem off and on through the years. Now in his eighties it has returned but not sever enough to be troublesome except when talking on the phone. Our youngest daughter had a problem with hesitation on particular words and learned to substitute with others. Mindful that as a young child and required to read aloud in class, her second grade teacher gave her a choice to read privately with the teacher, she declined and stuck it out. By high school the problem had disappeared, fortunately, as her present position requires facilitating meetings both in person and teleconference with counterparts in foreign countries.
I remember Mel Tillis, who had a very pronounced stutter when he spoke, but never when he sang.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Slow down your cadence and speak more deliberately. This helped resolve my stutter I had early in life.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My husband has had a stuttering problem off and on through the years. Now in his eighties it has returned but not sever enough to be troublesome except when talking on the phone. Our youngest daughter had a problem with hesitation on particular words and learned to substitute with others. Mindful that as a young child and required to read aloud in class, her second grade teacher gave her a choice to read privately with the teacher, she declined and stuck it out. By high school the problem had disappeared, fortunately, as her present position requires facilitating meetings both in person and teleconference with counterparts in foreign countries.
I remember Mel Tillis, who had a very pronounced stutter when he spoke, but never when he sang.

I read that it’s rare to come on in later life. Usually if someone does start in childhood they probably won’t. That indicates that something profound happened. And yes about Mel Tillis. A guy I talk to on a guitar forum has a very severe stutter but it goes away when he sings, like mine.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I would except for that pesky don’t-have-insurance thing. :(
I think that you can get lots of ideas, help and advice from good old IT.
Talking of strokes, do you have a history of blood pressure or pressure spikes? Do you have and use a BP machine? They are not expensive.

I think that if you can sing in clear voice that you could be clear of any stroke damage. Although he may not be able to give definite answers you might ask @adrian009 he is a GP.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that you can get lots of ideas, help and advice from good old IT.
Talking of strokes, do you have a history of blood pressure or pressure spikes? Do you have and use a BP machine? They are not expensive.

I think that if you can sing in clear voice that you could be clear of any stroke damage. Although he may not be able to give definite answers you might ask @adrian009 he is a GP.

My bp shot up inexplicably about 5 years ago before my back surgery. I’m on Bystolic for it. For the most part it’s normal now. I also take low dose aspirin because of the polycythemia vera. PV raises hematocrit, which can turn your blood into “bbq sauce” as the phlebotomist put it. I get it checked fairly regularly. I’m also pretty sure it wasn’t a stroke. Which is why I’m thinking stress-related.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Just a single thou...thoug...tho..tho..thoug..thou..th....
damn....missed it !

Yep, that’s it! And then you switch to a simpler word. I was try to get a smart-*** comment out, but it didn’t quite work. FinaIly I said “O-o-okkk Fffrannkk, nnno mmmore smmmarrr sssmmart-*** c-c-c-ommm... shut up Frank”. :D