• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody a Scientist?

Rough_ER

I am going to study a science at university, probably Biology or Zoology. I was just wondering what the job market is like for Biology graduates. Is it better to go into a non-scientific area or work in research? I've heard that jobs for scientists are few and far between and we get paid peanuts hehe.

Thanks,

Dave

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Rough_ER said:
I am going to study a science at university, probably Biology or Zoology. I was just wondering what the job market is like for Biology graduates. Is it better to go into a non-scientific area or work in research? I've heard that jobs for scientists are few and far between and we get paid peanuts hehe.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, the jobs are few and far between, of course, that depends on what type of science and where you are. I just gradutated with a Bachelor's in Wildlife, I can't get the jobs I want because they want someone with a Master's, but I'm also over-qualified for the entry level type of jobs. It's a harsh middle ground.

What do you want to do with a Biology or Zoology degree?

Rough_ER

Well I should mention that I plan to do a ph.d before going job hunting. Ideally I would like to be involved in field research or maybe conservation. I'm not bothered about having a huge salary, I just want to be able to support myself.

I think it's appauling that scientists can't get jobs. :(

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Rough_ER said:
Ideally I would like to be involved in field research or maybe conservation.

I'm afraid you'll have your work cut out for you to even find a job in conservation. Those people aren't paid much, and there will probably be some degree of travel involved, which can cause problems, especially if you have the makings of a family.

I think it's appauling that scientists can't get jobs. :(

You and me both. I think that my best chance to do what I want is to teach at the college level, then get some grant money to do my research study.

Rough_ER

I might just stay at Durham university and become a fellow eventually. :p I would love to become a lecturer at a university, I'll just have to see how it goes I guess. There goes my plan to change the world. :p

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I wouldn't give up on the ideal, just recognize that it would be very difficult to do so. Besices, you may change the world more than you realize by teaching.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Rough_ER said:

Well, the Environmental Ed people I know here in Atlanta did rather well when our new Aquarium opened up, though the Georgia Wildlife Federation surely suffered the loss of personnel.

Sorry, my science is Chemistry, and that's been dwindling in the U.S. for a while. We started regulating things back in the 70s so residents wouldn't be poisoned regularly, so the chemical business has moved overseas so they can poison people in places like Bhopal with impunity. :sarcastic /rant

Mavrikmind

Another idea would be to use your knowledge in some private undertaking. Like game managment. Offer your services to private game reserves or something like that.
Just an idea, I know alot of environmentalists would rather eat razor blades than do something like that but it may put food on the table *shrugs

Rough_ER

Thanks for the idea. I think what I will do is just see what happens. After my ph.d a research post may be available at the university, they have quite a few and most are pretty well paid (around £20,000 p.a) for youngsters. :p

Is Halcyon a professional scientist? He sure sounds like he knows his stuff!

lunamoth

Will to love
Rough_ER said:

Thanks,

Dave

If you love biology and research then you should persue it with all your heart. I think it is the best job on earth (well, after parenting that is...:) ). After your undergrad studies you should be able to go to graduate school on a stipend which covers the cost of your education plus gives you a small living wage (actually very small in most cases). Most stipends are connected to either research or teaching assistant responsibilities...but the point is that you do not need to take out loans to get your graduate degree.

In most cases you will then take a post-doctoral position in which you conduct research full-time (haha, actually much more than full-time) and you will recieve a sligthly higher stipend or salary for this. It is best (and typically expected) that you will write a research grant to gain your own funding support for some or all of your post-doc (at least in non-medical research field that is).

After your post-doc you should be well-positioned to find a job either in a university, government or private sector. In my area of research, plant molecular genetics, industry jobs were far and away the best-paying positions and of course very competetive to obtain. In zoology I am not as certain of the availability of industry postions...these are probably much more limited unless you have combined your expertise with something like molecular genetics, biochemistry, or reproduction/anatomy/physiology. You probably will not be able to persue your dream in industry, but there are lots of biology jobs in the pharmeceutical and big chemical-ag companies still (haha...if you want to sell your soul that is).

In the states with a zoology degree a good possible place for employment would be in government (federal/state) supported postions in wildlife management. And of course you can also work at universities. With a Ph.D. you would most likely be targeting tenure-track positions with teaching and research responsibilites, and also responsibilites for writing grants to fund your own research. It's very challenging, but you will also be getting to decide what you want to do and should have quite a lot of intellectual freedom in such a position. Industry jobs can be fun because of the unlimited amount of money available to fund your research once you've sold it to the higher-ups, but the problem is that research is ultimately driven by the bottom line profit and you can find your projects pulled as often as every six months...very frustrating.

You will find that while in grad school and then as a post doc you will come into contact with the scientists and other people who will connect you to the career you want to persue. It is very competative and as you move up the pyramid the kinds of jobs you are qualified for are harder to get (and do not necessarily pay better!). But all along the way you will find options available to stay in the field if you wish.

Best wishes!

Rough_ER

Wow, thanks a lot for the advice. I believe I may end up studying Biology instead of Zoology after all. I'm glad you believe there is at least some hope of getting somewhere if you have the passion and drive, which I most certainly do. :)

Biology Rocks!

linwood

Rough_ER said:

Thanks,

Dave

There are quite a few scientists and research students posting to this board ..

http://iidb.org

They might be able to give you some first hand insight if you post yout questions in the science and skepticism forum

lunamoth

Will to love
Rough_ER said:
Wow, thanks a lot for the advice. I believe I may end up studying Biology instead of Zoology after all. I'm glad you believe there is at least some hope of getting somewhere if you have the passion and drive, which I most certainly do. :)

Biology Rocks!

You are welcome. I'm not trying to discourage you from Zoology or Wildlife Conservation as a career, but as has been pointed out the ideal of the field biologist is actually very hard to find and the pay is not good. I would also mention that if you are interested in wildlife conservation, it would be very powerful to combine your degree in biology with either information science (computers) or law (a double major, lots of work, but very much worth it).

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
I'm not a scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

There is good money in the fringe sciences. Genetic engineering. DNA mapping, etc.

You need to be free to relocate wherever. A family might slow you down because the hours are long.

Even being a nurse can pay well, as there is a worldwide shortage, many places offer hansome incentives. Biology can open many doors for you if you have the right skills.

The question is... do you want to innovate, or imitate?

x