• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Mathematicians?

Kirran

Premium Member
Wasn't entirely sure where to put this!

But OK, a friend of mine who's doing her A Level Maths has come across this question which nobody seems able to solve. I'll give a Winner rating to whoever manages it! (So will other people, probably)

upload_2017-4-6_21-2-42.png

Let me know if it isn't legible.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The first paragraph asks whether 6000 * (1.06) ^ 10 = 10745, which is indeed the case (if we disregard 8.61 cents).

I will need some effort to prepare the answer for the second item. Maybe someone will come and answer it first.

Kirran

Premium Member
The first paragraph asks whether 6000 * (1.06) ^ 10 = 10745, which is indeed the case (if we disregard 8.61 cents).

I will need some effort to prepare the answer for the second item. Maybe someone will come and answer it first.

I'm betting on you Luis!

Tabu

Going with the same formula for compound interest as above i.e
A = P(1+r) ^n , and applying it for the investments made between 1991 and 1995 , the total amount at the end of 2000 would be
6000( 1.06^10 + 1.06^ 9 +1.06^ 8 + 1.06^7+1.06^6 + 1.06 ^ 5 ) ,
which works out to 56007
see here Chegg.com

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Wasn't entirely sure where to put this!

But OK, a friend of mine who's doing her A Level Maths has come across this question which nobody seems able to solve. I'll give a Winner rating to whoever manages it! (So will other people, probably)

View attachment 16654

Let me know if it isn't legible.

I'm a bit confused. I'd have to go look up a formula or two, but this seems like a very mechanical problem, I'm not seeing any tricks or difficulties in here? Perhaps when the answer is given we can find out what was involved other than basic mechanics?