• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any hippies here?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
How, exactly, did Jesus bathe? He surely didn't have running water, even in His family home. Bathing wasn't a thing back then, almost no-one bathed except upper class Romans -- which Jesus certainly was not.

As for regular baths in a river, who would go into a river if there wasn't some pressing need to do so? People didn't do that. This obsession with cleanliness is a new thing.
Besides, if the Good Book is to be believed, JC had a problem with actual immersion.:rolleyes:

You seem to associate Hippies with uncleanliness and intoxication. Why is that?
That is a good point you bring up. What we consider to be proper hygiene now, just was not a thing in ancient Rome, or anywhere really...

BSM1

What? Me worry?
On the contrary. The country was transformed -- spirituality, lifestyles, civil rights, women's rights, citizen-government relations, music -- everything.

I was. I'm pretty much an unreconstructed Hippie, yet somehow I always managed to bathe pretty regularly.

I had a few of those non-lucid moments you just listed which, by the way, had absolutely nothing to do with the Hippie movement. If you must remember the Hippie mantra was "Tune in, Turn on, Drop out". The best thing about the Hippie movement was that I had a Fu Manchu moustache that almost reached about mid-chest.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I had a few of those non-lucid moments you just listed which, by the way, had absolutely nothing to do with the Hippie movement. If you must remember the Hippie mantra was "Tune in, Turn on, Drop out". The best thing about the Hippie movement was that I had a Fu Manchu moustache that almost reached about mid-chest.
"Non lucid moments?" Did I list any non lucid moments?
Sorry, not following. Clarify?

"Turn on, tune in, drop out" (note, you have to turn on before you can tune in ;)) was never the motto of 'the hippie movement'. I wasn't aware that the hippie movement had any official motto. There were a lot of popular sayings making the rounds back then.

"Turn on, tune in drop out" was the motto of the League for Spiritual Discovery: League for Spiritual Discovery - Wikipedia ,not the entire hippie movement. The LSD was never a major player in the counterculture.

There were serious players in the counterculture movement, and then there were the imitators; the "freaks," who were never serious social or political activists or spiritual explorers.

Freaks:
upload_2018-5-10_7-19-9.jpeg
In many places there were more freaks than hippies, and the general public tended to confuse them.
I think you're confusing freaks with the actual counterculture..

BSM1

What? Me worry?
"Non lucid moments?" Did I list any non lucid moments?
Sorry, not following. Clarify?

"Turn on, tune in, drop out" (note, you have to turn on before you can tune in ;)) was never the motto of 'the hippie movement'. I wasn't aware that the hippie movement had any official motto. There were a lot of popular sayings making the rounds back then.

"Turn on, tune in drop out" was the motto of the League for Spiritual Discovery: League for Spiritual Discovery - Wikipedia ,not the entire hippie movement. The LSD was never a major player in the counterculture.

There were serious players in the counterculture movement, and then there were the imitators; the "freaks," who were never serious social or political activists or spiritual explorers.

Freaks:
View attachment 21519
In many places there were more freaks than hippies, and the general public tended to confuse them.
I think you're confusing freaks with the actual counterculture..

There never was a "counterculture" to any degree. A few bearded guys and young barefoot (and braless) girls growing their own carrots made for good copy on a few news programs, but in a couple of years most every body became human again.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But I thoroughly enjoyed the braless look while it lasted. My wife was one of those, but now she's into 42-longs.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There never was a "counterculture" to any degree. A few bearded guys and young barefoot (and braless) girls growing their own carrots made for good copy on a few news programs, but in a couple of years most every body became human again.
Palpable poppycock. There was a counterculture.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
just was not a thing in ancient Rome

Au contraire, the Romans were scrupulously clean. At least the middle to upper classes, given the number of bathhouses and public laundries. Urine was used as a cleaning and bleaching agent for garments. The garments were soaked in vats of urine then rinsed in water. Fulling - Wikipedia

BSM1

What? Me worry?
But I thoroughly enjoyed the braless look while it lasted. My wife was one of those, but now she's into 42-longs.

Hahaha...

That's exactly what it meant. Turning on meant doing acid or weed (the harder stuff was not in vogue yet) tune in meant listening to the rock music (which was great and unmatched to this very day), and dropping out meant lying around on your butt while doing the above. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
What do you have against psychedelics?
I was high on psychedelics and delusional, believed I was the Antichrist, and stabbed a guy twice...

I jumped off a building breaking my knee, ribs, pelvis, arm, broke my back in two places, tore both meniscus, tor my ACL, had a concussion, and almost put myself in a wheel chair for life, as a result of abusing psychedelics.

I have humiliated myself many times due to delusions from psychedelic drugs! I look back at so many memories and cringe in agony! I have met people who are permanently brain damaged, and schizophrenic as a result of bad acid trips.

I have to seek sobriety like it is the greatest treasure there is! Psychedelic drugs ruined my life!

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I was high on psychedelics and delusional, believed I was the Antichrist, and stabbed a guy twice...

I jumped off a building breaking my knee, ribs, pelvis, arm, broke my back in two places, tore both meniscus, tor my ACL, had a concussion, and almost put myself in a wheel chair for life, as a result of abusing psychedelics.

I have humiliated myself many times due to delusions from psychedelic drugs! I look back at so many memories and cringe in agony! I have met people who are permanently brain damaged, and schizophrenic as a result of bad acid trips.

I have to seek sobriety like it is the greatest treasure there is! Psychedelic drugs ruined my life!

It sounds to me like you weren't trained properly to create the proper set and setting, I'm sorry that that happened to you, but from what little you said, it sounds liking blaming a car crash on the car when you don't know how to drive?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It sounds to me like you weren't trained properly to create the proper set and setting, I'm sorry that that happened to you, but from what little you said, it sounds liking blaming a car crash on the car when you don't know how to drive?
I do believe psychedelic drugs can bring about out of body experiences, and feelings of enlightenment, and can make a person more affection, kind, gentle, charitable, and helpful to others. I have had trips that did just that.

Problem is, I can't control whether it is a good trip, or whether it turns into a narcissistic **** show where I'm doing things for attention, preaching to people, start thinking I'm Jesus or the Antichrist, and on one occasion, physical aggression on another person that could have cost them their life.

It is rare that psychedelics influence me in a negative way. Usually, I like who I am when I'm tripping out. I become more charitable, more thoughtful, more kind, more gentle, more affectionate, feel more connected to the spirit world and one with the universe, and feel like I could hug a leper.

When I was tripping I would call my family members just to say "I love you". I don't do that when sober!

Problem is, there is always that 1% chance that it will turn into a wicked evil narcissistic trip that could harm myself of others.:eek: