• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Draft Dodgers On RF?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Draft dodging is an intentional decision not to comply with the military conscription policies of one's nation.
Those very same policies enable most to legally dodge the draft.
Coerced by the many, only a relatively few shoulder that burden.
Not knowing if what they were doing was actually legal, or just considered a privilege of wealth that politicians were not willing to question due to, shall we say, political funding issues, I cannot answer that question.

and the rest that you have listed, are, or were, legal reasons to not be drafted therefore not draft dodging.
"Dodging" has been used loosely in this thread.
I'm willing to switch back to the distinctions between "dodge", "avoid", & "exempt".

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It had more to do with inequality between poor and rich and the rich having the ability to "dodge" the draft by paying a $300
I doubt that it cost Clinton or Trump much more than that (in constant dollars). $300 was a lot of money in the mid 19th century.
Tom

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Those very same policies enable most to legally dodge the draft.
Coerced by the many, only a relatively few shoulder that burden.

"Dodging" has been used loosely in this thread.
I'm willing to switch back to the distinctions between "dodge", "avoid", & "exempt".

I'm not sure there is much of a distinction between dodge and avoid, but there is a rather big difference between dodge/avoid and exempt

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
For ref.....
Was Trump a 'draft dodger'?
Bill Clinton, Felonious Draft Dodger?
As did Hillary (albeit with greater ease), both Bill & Donald legally avoided the draft.

Now watch me change the tone of this thread.....Well what else would you expect from a "Clinton"

oh..and the story is listed as false by SNOPES...about Clinton being a draft dodger...on the very page you provided.....didn't think I'd notice that..did ya :)

Now I shall dodge this thread because I'm going home....

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This is so often said.
Who among those who sent us to war gained wealth by so doing?
Lots of people, Dick Cheney for one. He owned a huge stake in Haliburton, and it got first crack at billions of dollars worth of contracts awarded "no bid".
We spent over a trillion dollars of taxpayer money to launch that war, and a lot of people profited from it.
Despite how badly managed it was, often because of that.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not sure there is much of a distinction between dodge and avoid, but there is a rather big difference between dodge/avoid and exempt
I see "dodge" v "avoid" as analogous to tax "evasion" v "avoidance".
The former is illegal, while the latter is legal.

While Nixon made any illegal act on my part moot, I still proudly call myself a "draft dodger".
It was my intent.
I stopped pursuing conscious objector status....too disgusting to complete.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lots of people, Dick Cheney for one. He owned a huge stake in Haliburton, and it got first crack at billions of dollars worth of contracts awarded "no bid".
We spent over a trillion dollars of taxpayer money to launch that war, and a lot of people profited from it.
Despite how badly managed it was, often because of that.
Tom
He wasn't among those who voted for the war.
Bush had the authority, not the VP.
Representatives like Hillary voted for war.
How did they (including Bush) financially benefit?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The constitution and the Laws are human constructs. Law does not define morality.
From a Christian standpoint, doesn't God's law trump mans? If man's law says you should ignore the golden rule, hate your enemy, return evil for evil, and smite back when smitten, aren't you sinning and in danger of Hell fire?
One cannot be in compliance with the sermon on the mount and a soldier at the same time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The constitution and the Laws are human constructs. Law does not define morality.
From a Christian standpoint, doesn't God's law trump mans? If man's law says you should ignore the golden rule, hate your enemy, return evil for evil, and smite back when smitten, aren't you sinning and in danger of Hell fire?
One cannot be in compliance with the sermon on the mount and a soldier at the same time.
It irks me is that government allows for draft exemptions based upon religion,
but not upon reason. Such preference sullies the 1st Amendment.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
He wasn't among those who voted for the war.
Bush had the authority, not the VP.
He didn't have to vote.
He just lied authoritatively to everyone from Congress to Fox. And probably Bush II, as well. Not that it would be hard to convince a Bush that launching a war for control of the oil fields would take much.
Tom

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It irks me is that government allows for draft exemptions based upon religion,
but not upon reason. Such preference sullies the 1st Amendment.
For those who see the world through a religious lens only an appeal to religious values will be convincing.

Personally, I don't see why the large street gang claiming ownership of the turf you chanced to be born in should have any legitimate claim of allegiance or servitude.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He didn't have to vote.
He just lied authoritatively to everyone from Congress to Fox. And probably Bush II, as well. Not that it would be hard to convince a Bush that launching a war for control of the oil fields would take much.
Tom
Some background.....the specific lies....how he swayed an entire government....how
he convinced voters to re-elect GW Bush....how this approval for war continued to
Obama's re-election.....how much wealth he gained? Something more than "probably".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For those who see the world through a religious lens only an appeal to religious values will be convincing.

Personally, I don't see why the large street gang claiming ownership of the turf you chanced to be born in should have any legitimate claim of allegiance or servitude.
Allegiance is something I'll grant only if I deem them
worthy...& then only conditionally & occasionally.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is the draft involuntary?
Is it servitude?

I suppose it depends on the circumstances. Suppose you're living in a small town which is threatened with being flooded. Can the residents be compelled to work under emergency conditions to lay sandbags, etc.? Or if there's an earthquake or some other catastrophe, can any able-bodied person be "drafted" to help out?

I suppose in any kind of "state of emergency," the government may not always follow the Constitution. Lincoln broke some rules during the Civil War, and so did FDR during WW2. Even the Cold War and various "red scares" put serious strains on our Constitutional rights.

I don't consider the draft to be the same thing as slavery, since slavery was pretty much a lifelong affair, along with one's children and grandchildren expected to be born into slavery. With the draft, military service is still only temporary, either for a fixed term or until the war is over. (This turned out to be a problem after WW2, when a lot of military personnel were still impatiently awaiting their discharges more than a year after the war ended.)

Truman threatened to use the military draft against striking coal miners. He was just about to do it when the miners agreed to go back to work. I suppose using the draft in that way could be considered close to "servitude." I'd hate to be drafted and told I had to go work in a coal mine.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suppose it depends on the circumstances. Suppose you're living in a small town which is threatened with being flooded. Can the residents be compelled to work under emergency conditions to lay sandbags, etc.? Or if there's an earthquake or some other catastrophe, can any able-bodied person be "drafted" to help out?

I suppose in any kind of "state of emergency," the government may not always follow the Constitution. Lincoln broke some rules during the Civil War, and so did FDR during WW2. Even the Cold War and various "red scares" put serious strains on our Constitutional rights.

I don't consider the draft to be the same thing as slavery, since slavery was pretty much a lifelong affair, along with one's children and grandchildren expected to be born into slavery. With the draft, military service is still only temporary, either for a fixed term or until the war is over. (This turned out to be a problem after WW2, when a lot of military personnel were still impatiently awaiting their discharges more than a year after the war ended.)

Truman threatened to use the military draft against striking coal miners. He was just about to do it when the miners agreed to go back to work. I suppose using the draft in that way could be considered close to "servitude." I'd hate to be drafted and told I had to go work in a coal mine.
The draft is more "time share slavery".
Consider that the need for the draft is based upon very low pay for dangerous
work (with a loss of civil liberties) that the draftees otherwise would not do.
Why not pay soldiers handsomely during war? Those not drafted wouldn't want
the massive transfer of wealth to those who risked life & limb defending them.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not pay soldiers handsomely during war? Those not drafted wouldn't want
the massive transfer of wealth to those who risked life & limb defending them.

It probably would be too expensive. As it is right now, I think military personnel are paid better in modern times than they were back in the days of the draft.