• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Draft Dodgers On RF?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Anyone else who refused to be inducted?
I would have but I wasn't around yet... or was I?

MV5BMTQ1OTMwMTY0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTczNjg0Nw@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

But in all seriousness, I would have dodged the draft if I was picked.

Fire_Monkey

Anyone else who refused to be inducted?

Uh, you're probably ignorant of this fact, but anybody who fled to avoid forced conscription would have to be at least 65 or so. We have not had a draft for over 40 years.

Are you a draft dodger?

If I told you what I think of those who are, I would be banned for obscenity and insulting language.

If I met one in person I might go to jail for assault.

We will leave it at that.

Adios.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Uh, you're probably ignorant of this fact, but anybody who fled to avoid forced conscription would have to be at least 65 or so. We have not had a draft for over 40 years.

Are you a draft dodger?

If I told you what I think of those who are, I would be banned for obscenity and insulting language.

Adios.
What a delight you are.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Are you a draft dodger?

Adios.
I don't understand. Why the enmity against the principled?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
What a delight you are.

When you think about how stupid the last conflicts that conscription was used in, you can't help but detest the whole concept. Some countries have mandatory service for adult men, at least for a year...

Norway, Switzerland, Greece, China, and a bunch of others come to mind. Most of these countries have much shorter service terms than we have in the USA. (I think it's 2-3 years here, it's very rare for other countries to make anyone serve more than 1...)

France only recently stopped doing that... :D

Anyway, I never presume to know why people dodge a draft I'm sure their reasons are valid for their personal situations. Maybe they have a kid on the way and don't like the mother-in-law, really it could be that simple...

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Nope. Our last draft occurred before I was born, but I did enlist before I had to register with Selective Service.

siti

National service was terminated in the UK before I was born. I wanted to sign up for the air force at one point but the recruitment officer bombarded me with a barrage of (mostly irrelevant) political questions (I was 17 for crying out loud) and decided that I was not well-suited to a military career - to which my response was along the lines of 4Q2. I gave up on the idea and went back to college for a year instead and then got a job as a lab tech.

I would probably object conscientiously if I was called up now - but its irrelevant because I am over 50 with no military experience so they'd really have to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to get to me. If they were really that desperate, I'd probably have to assume that the war was already over and we had lost! I am essentially a pacifist - I do believe some things are probably worth fighting for (as a last resort if there is no other way), but most of the things we 'go to war' about are not worth killing for and the last resort is most often reached, as far as I can see, only because of prior political inertia and/or stupidity. I don't really see why I should be forced to terminate the lives of fellow humans to cover for the stupidity of politicians - but obviously millions of my fellow humans have no such qualms.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're not off to a good start by presuming ignorance of something very important to a guy with
a lottery number of 34 in a year when the draft was still on, but student deferments had ended.
And your arithmetic is close, but no cigar.
Are you a draft dodger?
I almost was.
I would've been.
Went to Detroit for my physical, but decided part way thru the process to hand in my paperwork, & hitchhike home.
Nixon cancelled the draft in the nick of time.
I bet you could discuss it in a civil fashion.
All it takes is the conscious decision to do so.
Or to a hospital for repairs.
Adios.
When you regain your equanimity, I welcome you to try again.
These are important issues, & you're here for discussion.
And I'm accustomed to posters having a low opinion of me.
- I voted for Trump.
- I'm a godless heathen.
- I'm critical of feminism.
- I'm a Libertarian (worse than conservatives).
- I write really bad limericks.
So nothing you could say to me would be worse than what's already rained down upon me.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As I saw it back then......
- The VN war wasn't worth fighting.
- The gov had no authority to impose involuntary servitude.
- The draft is not only unjust, but highly discriminatory....
A lottery system for young healthy hetero males who aren't politically or religiously connected.
- I considered getting CO status (conscientious objector).
But couldn't bring myself to pretend to believe in a religion telling me that all war is wrong.
- I had better things to do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My town in Ontario is known for being a home for draft dodgers.
Almost anyone who has been here for more than 30 years was a draft dodger, is the wife of a draft dodger, or is the kid of a draft dodger.

Unfortunately, they seem to be draft dodgers who were for the respective wars and just didn't want to do the work themselves, rather than the draft dodgers of principle that I would respect.

Some of them are nice guys though.
That's odd.
I knew very few people who were for the war.
Must've been cuz I live in a very very liberal area.
Guys I know who favored it enlisted.
One guy really wanted to "kill commies".
He did, & he was proud of shooting a Chinese one.

He figgers that I did my part as a weapon (military) designer.
No problems with this draft dodger.

Fire_Monkey

I don't understand. Why the enmity against the principled?

Some of us would argue that "the principled" are the brave men and women who defended their country against those who would do you all harm. Ensuring that our nation stays as one such that allows freedom of speech.
Even from those who denigrate it, and refuse to assist in vanquishing enemies that would gladly see you dead.

You're welcome!

FM

Fire_Monkey

As I saw it back then......
- The VN war wasn't worth fighting.
- The gov had no authority to impose involuntary servitude.
- The draft is not only unjust, but highly discriminatory....
A lottery system for young healthy hetero males who aren't politically or religiously connected.
- I considered getting CO status (conscientious objector).
But couldn't bring myself to pretend to believe in a religion telling me that all war is wrong.
- I had better things to do.

I have to agree that we had no business in Vietnam. It was indeed as filthy ******* of a war. I also admit I am not sorry I was too young to fight it. (Not even born yet, as a matter of fact.) Though I knew as soon as I saw the towers smoldering on TV that I couldn't wait to go do a little payback for Uncle.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have to agree that we had no business in Vietnam. It was indeed as filthy ******* of a war. I also admit I am not sorry I was too young to fight it. (Not even born yet, as a matter of fact.) Though I knew as soon as I saw the towers smoldering on TV that I couldn't wait to go do a little payback for Uncle.
A problem with payback is that politicians decide approximately who gets it,
& then direct (often with poor micromanagement) how to do it, & end up
killing entirely different people in the very long & spendy process.

If you weren't even born when the VN war was on, why hate draft dodgers?

Fire_Monkey

I recall a thread where you said something along the lines of

But then again from your aggressive attitude towards all you disagree with leads me to believe you honestly don't care about whether we see your inconsistencies or not.

If you do not see the difference in feeling hostile to somebody who denigrates the your home country and the brave souls who have fought for it, and somebody who simply espouses their religious beliefs, then sure, go ahead and call me a hypocrite.
I suspect I'll get over it.

FM