• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antifa

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
5a5f775f1e0000d900c97c53.jpeg

I'm not sure what these stats actually mean, though. During the same period, the total number of murders in the U.S. averaged about 15,000 per year (give or take). That would be (on average) 150,000 murders for the ten-year period. That would mean extremist-related killings amounted to around 0.2% of all killings. Not that I'm minimizing the value of human life, but in terms of numbers, this doesn't appear to be threatening of some massive upheaval or overthrow of the government.

Ignoring and/or appeasing them didn't really stop them either.

But they could have been stopped if the powers that be at the time had improved the economic situation. That's the real tragedy of it all, mainly due to unchecked greed and ideological intransigence of the kind that appears evident in America today. The other factor is fear-mongering, which even liberals have been guilty of with their Russia-bashing rhetoric. So, if you combine class tensions/economic uncertainty with exaggerated fears of an external enemy (or enemies), then you move that much closer to an extremist type government.

dust1n

Zindīq
I'm not sure what these stats actually mean, though. During the same period, the total number of murders in the U.S. averaged about 15,000 per year (give or take). That would be (on average) 150,000 murders for the ten-year period. That would mean extremist-related killings amounted to around 0.2% of all killings. Not that I'm minimizing the value of human life, but in terms of numbers, this doesn't appear to be threatening of some massive upheaval or overthrow of the government.

Correct. Your chances of being murdered, in general, are pretty rare. The chances of you getting murdered for some sort of political reason is even lower. The stats are just illustration of the difference between the perception of various groups and their actual threat level. Given that, in the time period that an average person was 3x more likely to be killed by a white supremacist than an Islamic extremist, and far more likely to killed by a right-ringer than anything even remotely related to antifa. It's reasonable to come to the conclusion that it's not much of an issue due to rareness of this sort of violence, but society still very treats the notion of being attack about Islam/Leftists (including spending hundreds of millions of dollars to monitor these groups, etc.) incredibly out of proportion

I don't disagree your point that American Neo-Nazi's etc. have no real threat of... performing some sort of grassroots violent takeover. But then again, that's not how Nazi's came to power either.

But they could have been stopped if the powers that be at the time had improved the economic situation. That's the real tragedy of it all, mainly due to unchecked greed and ideological intransigence of the kind that appears evident in America today. The other factor is fear-mongering, which even liberals have been guilty of with their Russia-bashing rhetoric. So, if you combine class tensions/economic uncertainty with exaggerated fears of an external enemy (or enemies), then you move that much closer to an extremist type government.

It makes sense to me that poverty reduces social cohesion. However, given that the powers didn't improve the economic situation, then what were the people who weren't the powers suppose to do about the rise of fascism in their country. If you aren't in power of various economic institutions, which most people are not, then simply improving the economic situation is not an option available to you.

Also, I'm skeptical that poverty (while obviously it can be a contributory factor) is a necessary condition for a large movement to nationalistic, authoritarian and generally illiberal governments.

Shad

Veteran Member
ADL has been lying about stats for years. Take what they claim with a grain of salt especially when no actual information is provided to face check.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ref....
ADL Report: White Supremacist Murders More Than Doubled in 2017
This sounds alarming.....
New York, NY, January 17, 2018… The number of white supremacist murders in the United States more than doubled in 2017 compared to the previous year, far surpassing murders committed by domestic Islamic extremists and making 2017 the fifth deadliest year on record for extremist violence since 1970.
In its annual assessment of extremist-related killings, the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism found white supremacists and other far-right extremists were responsible for 59 percent of all extremist-related fatalities in the U.S. in 2017, up dramatically from 20 percent in 2016.
But then....
White supremacists were directly responsible for 18 of the total 34 extremist-related murders in 2017, according to the new ADL report, Murder and Extremism in the United States in 2017. A total of nine deaths were linked to Islamic extremists.
Given the large numbers of deaths in OK & NY at times, the 2017 figures
look statistically insignificant regarding which group kills the most people.
It will swing wildly from one to another in the deadlier years.

This one seems carefully chosen to exclude 9/11/01....
The most recent ADL data shows that over the last decade a total of 71 percent of all fatalities have been linked to domestic right-wing extremists, while 26 percent of the killings were committed by Islamic extremists. The other 3 percent of deaths were carried out by extremists not falling into either category.

I agree with....
The bottom line is we cannot ignore one form of extremism over another. We must tackle them all.”
....but the ADL appears to lean towards painting white supremacists as the greater threat compared to Islamic terrorists.