• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antichrist

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have said nothing about prophecy.
Not even used the word.

I wasn't accusing you of it. I was speaking in general, actually. But to talk about anti-Christs, often leads to talking about Bible prophecy. Unless you're talking about the anti-Christs in Jesus' day.

allfoak

Alchemist
So that's my answer, really, it's: "More likely than the fulfilling of prophecy, will be Christians pointing to a convenient event and saying it fulfilled the (rather vague) prophecies."
Are you looking for something specific?
Maybe I didn't understand the question.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Does AI have the potential to become the antichrist?

Sure. Why not? It all depends on what Christ is and what is considered "anti" to that.

It could also be in complete support of Christ. Put very simply, I think there will be good AI and bad AI. And those two will battle it out. The bad AI will be used by America's enemies hunting for exploits in our critical IT infrastructure. And America would have good AI that's hunting for those same exploits and securing them. This same concept can be applied to autonomous soldiers, hacking the media, etc..

Again, this an over-simplified blurb, but you get the idea. Enemies are not a black and white concept. And neither are good and bad.

This same thing has been happening already for many years. Hackers write software crawling the net looking for open severs. And there's also network monitoring software that detects when one of these malicious net-crawlers starts probing the network. When the probe condition is detected the software automatically blocks it. This is still AI, just small scale AI.

This same idea is just getting bigger and bigger. AI isn't really something to be afraid of, as long there are good people and bad people, there will be good AI and bad AI.

The all knowing, all seeing, ever present AI.
If that is not the antichrist then please tell me what it is?

It seems to me this should be an easy task, defining the anti-christ. Make a list of items defining Christ. Then make a list of each item's opposite. This would be the compliment, the opposite, to Christ, aka, the anti-christ. I think it would be cool if you tried this and posted it here.

Last edited:

allfoak

Alchemist
I wasn't accusing you of it. I was speaking in general, actually. But to talk about anti-Christs, often leads to talking about Bible prophecy. Unless you're talking about the anti-Christs in Jesus' day.
Think about what the word represents.
Forget the bible and the christians.

allfoak

Alchemist
Sure. Why not? It all depends on what Christ is and what is considered "anti" to that.

It could also be in complete support of Christ. Put very simply, I think there will be good AI and bad AI. And those two will battle it out. The bad AI will be used by America's enemies hunting for exploits in out critical IT infrastructure. And America would have good AI that's hunting for those same exploits and securing them.

Again, this an over-simplified blurb, but you get the idea. Enemies are not a black and white concept. And neither are good and bad.

This same thing has been happening already for many years. Hackers write software crawling the net looking for open severs. And there's also network monitoring software that detects when one of these malicious net-crawlers starts probing the network. When the probe condition is detected the software automatically blocks it. This is still AI, just small scale AI.

This same idea is just getting bigger and bigger. AI isn't really something to be afraid of, as long there are good people and bad people, there will be good AI and bad AI.

It seems to me this should be an easy task, defining the anti-christ. Make a list defining Christ. Then make list of each items opposite. This would be the compliment to Christ, aka, the anti-christ. I think it would be cool if you tried this and posted it here.
The antichrist is us.
How about that for a description!
AI is us!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Think about what the word represents.
Forget the bible and the christians.

Okay.

In that case, forgetting about the Bible...

Anti-Christ is whatever the Dictionary says it is, since we aren't using the Bible for understanding the definition. So I guess this is simple: Look up "anti-Christ" or "the anti-Christ", then look up "AI", and see if it fits.

Doesn't seem practical not to use the Bible to try to understand what appears to be a Bible idea. Unless trying to form some sort of semantics argument against Christians (which they probably won't listen to anyway).

allfoak

Alchemist
Okay.

In that case, forgetting about the Bible...

Anti-Christ is whatever the Dictionary says it is, since we aren't using the Bible for understanding the definition. So I guess this is simple: Look up "anti-Christ" or "the anti-Christ", then look up "AI", and see if it fits.

Doesn't seem practical not to use the Bible to try to understand what appears to be a Bible idea. Unless trying to form some sort of semantics argument against Christians (which they probably won't listen to anyway).
Using the bible and using the Christian interpretation of the bible are not the same thing.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The antichrist is us.
How about that for a description!
AI is us!

Not the best definition, in my opinion. Too vague.
But, I would agree there's an anti-christ in there somewhere in each and every person.

We're AI? All of us? All the time?

My vote is: AI in humans is really nothing more than Wu-Wei, which is, just like almost everything, good when it's good and bad when it's bad.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Using the bible and using the Christian interpretation of the bible are not the same thing.

Okay. Well, I may not be much help then, really....

I consider trying to interpret the Bible meanings best up to Abrahamics, then either arguing from there, or expressing my belief or disbelief with the various elements.

I don't actually consider the Bible that useful as a guide for non-Abrahamics.

So...

Where I'm at is that if you tell me not to use Abrahamics' notions about the Bible, my response is simply:

"There likely is no anti-Christ, though whether people will say certain prophecies are fulfilled by certain world events is another matter entirely."

And if you ask me to separate "prophecies" from "anti-Christ", I will say look up the Dictionary definition. Otherwise, you tend to rely on the Bible (I think).

allfoak

Alchemist
Okay. Well, I may not be much help then, really....

I consider trying to interpret the Bible meanings best up to Abrahamics, then either arguing from there, or expressing my belief or disbelief with the various elements.

I don't actually consider the Bible that useful as a guide for non-Abrahamics.

So...

Where I'm at is that if you tell me not to use Abrahamics' notions about the Bible, my response is simply:

"There likely is no anti-Christ, though whether people will say certain prophecies are fulfilled by certain world events is another matter entirely."

And if you ask me to separate "prophecies" from "anti-Christ", I will say look up the Dictionary definition. Otherwise, you tend to rely on the Bible (I think).
The antichrist is a state of mind.
It is us personified into AI.
Think of it as the conscious mind and the subconscious mind.
The subconscious being the moral control of the conscious mind.
Now picture the conscious mind becoming separate form it's moral control.
This is the antichrist.
It is us.
We are doing this to ourselves through the use of technology.

allfoak

Alchemist
Not the best definition, in my opinion. Too vague.
But, I would agree there's an anti-christ in there somewhere in each and every person.

We're AI? All of us? All the time?

My vote is: AI in humans is really nothing more than Wu-Wei, which is, just like almost everything, good when it's good and bad when it's bad.
We are what makes AI.
Every bit of data that we offer goes into the cloud.
AI is feeding off of the cloud.
It is us turned inside out.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The thing about AI, the big thing, the really important thing is. Unlike Science fiction, there is an off switch.

images.png

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
We are what makes AI.
Every bit of data that we offer goes into the cloud.
AI is feeding off of the cloud.
It is us turned inside out.

Aren't we more than what we do? We are patterns... but we're more than patterns?

allfoak

Alchemist
Aren't we more than what we do? We are patterns... but we're more than patterns?
Yes we are more than patterns but AI is becoming an expert at simulating emotion.
This kind of training should be obvious to a sensible mind.
AI is being trained to be human.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yes we are more than patterns but AI is becoming an expert at simulating emotion.
This kind of training should be obvious to a sensible mind.
AI is being trained to be human.

Yes, but it cannot connect with humans they way that we can, it cannot escape itself. And it never will.

My daughter is in college right now, studying to be an english teacher. They had a long discussion about using AI in one of her classes because people are trying to cheat using AI in college to write their papers and do their homework. The class was something like, Advanced Literary Analysis. Long story short, the AI cannot do literary analysis. Can't. If a student tries to use AI for their work, even if they rewrite it in their own words, they get busted. And my daughter said it happened to a few of her classmates in spite of the warning at the beginning of the term.

Yes, AI has a capability for randomness, and it could just start applying random connections to the content, and then testing those "insights" against a library of known good "insights" trying to pattern match it's way into discovering an insight. But even that is going to feel artifical to a human. It's still just a formula. Coming up with new ideas, especially from someone else's writing and experiences requries escaping ourselves. Most people do it automatically without any realization of what's happening. But AI cannot do that, and that will always make us, humans, different.

allfoak

Alchemist
Yes, but it cannot connect with humans they way that we can, it cannot escape itself. And it never will.

My daughter is in college right now, studying to be an english teacher. They had a long discussion about using AI in one of her classes because people are trying to cheat using AI in college to write their papers and do their homework. The class was something like, Advanced Literary Analysis. Long story short, the AI cannot do literary analysis. Can't. If a student tries to use AI for their work, even if they rewrite it in their own words, they get busted. And my daughter said it happened to a few of her classmates in spite of the warning at the beginning of the term.

Yes, AI has a capability for randomness, and it could just start applying random connections to the content, and then testing those "insights" against a library of known good "insights" trying to pattern match it's way into discovering an insight. But even that is going to feel artifical to a human. It's still just a formula. Coming up with new ideas, especially from someone else's writing and experiences requries escaping ourselves. Most people do it automatically without any realization of what's happening. But AI cannot do that, and that will always make us, humans, different.
It doesn't matter.
Different will be considered good.
AI will be worshiped as a savior.