• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-trans bill passes in Kentucky

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would not leave up to just a child either.
Something so profound shouldn't be left to just an adult either. And it seems so many blatantly refuse to accept their are procedures, guidelines, and you can't do this quickly, overnight, or on a whim. And of course their RW sources and echo chambers never bother to mention regret from transitioning is rare. Amd the experts who helped developed the guidelines to make regrets rare and continue to improve them, these bozos want to claim the healthcare providers amd researchers are doing mutilation and are being careless and rushing things.
And most of them here we've been over it enough I've lost patients. They are partisan bigots who refuse to learn and accept the reality and facts of gender dysphoria treatments.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Are you aware of how easy it used to be, and likely still is, to get a doctors diagnosis for ADD and get medication for it? We shouldn’t pretend that doctors are infallible or that it is beyond a teenager’s ability to exaggerate things (not necessarily intentionally) and manipulate the doctors diagnosis that way.
You can get ADD meds after barely a 5 minute conversation with a doctor who has never heard of you before that visit. That definitely does not happen in getting a transgenderism diagnosis. There has to be a history of behavior, etc.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you give an example?
Of course
Forgive my ignorance, I’ll admit to not being educated enough to properly read scientific studies
But if I understand this study correctly, this is the rate of patient and physician regret from medical surgery treatment performed due to various cancers
Whilst it was considered relatively uncommon, the rate of patient regret was still at an average of 14.4% across the board or 1 in 7 patients

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You can get ADD meds after barely a 5 minute conversation with a doctor who has never heard of you before that visit. That definitely does not happen in getting a transgenderism diagnosis. There has to be a history of behavior, etc.
I'd like to know where because it has been impossible for me to get anyone to even examine it because they want to take care of the depression and anxiety first. I've even had two wrecks because of it since I've moved to California (the traffic is way more dense here than Indiana) and I get nowhere.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I'd like to know where because it has been impossible for me to get anyone to even examine it because they want to take care of the depression and anxiety first. I've even had two wrecks because of it since I've moved to California (the traffic is way more dense here than Indiana) and I get nowhere.
This has been through many years, but the first was his pediatrician, next was a psychologist and the last was a psychiatrist. Each one wrote a script out after 5-10 minute conversations. This is Florida, so maybe it is different, depending on the state.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Something so profound shouldn't be left to just an adult either. And it seems so many blatantly refuse to accept their are procedures, guidelines, and you can't do this quickly, overnight, or on a whim. And of course their RW sources and echo chambers never bother to mention regret from transitioning is rare. Amd the experts who helped developed the guidelines to make regrets rare and continue to improve them, these bozos want to claim the healthcare providers amd researchers are doing mutilation and are being careless and rushing things.
And most of them here we've been over it enough I've lost patients. They are partisan bigots who refuse to learn and accept the reality and facts of gender dysphoria treatments.
What do you think is a good “base line” minimum for surgical decisions for trans youth?

I’m asking in good faith, just to be clear.

Like gender identity is malleable enough to have some (absolutely not all) people to perhaps go from being trans to non binary over time.
(Apologies for the very sloppy phrasing, but you know what I mean)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Of course
Forgive my ignorance, I’ll admit to not being educated enough to properly read scientific studies
But if I understand this study correctly, this is the rate of patient and physician regret from medical surgery treatment performed due to various cancers
Whilst it was considered relatively uncommon, the rate of patient regret was still at an average of 14.4% across the board or 1 in 7 patients

OK, thank you. Ideally it would be good to read the entire article. I don't have a subscription to researchgate and they aren't allowing any new enrollments who cannot prove they work in a research field or if they cannot prove they are a student.

The issue I have is that I have read testimonials and watched a couple of videos of people who regret their transition and it's quite serious. I'm not sure that this article is comparing like-for-like when it comes to the impact of detransitioning.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
OK, thank you. Ideally it would be good to read the entire article. I don't have a subscription to researchgate and they aren't allowing any new enrollments who cannot prove they work in a research field or if they cannot prove they are a student.

The issue I have is that I have read testimonials and watched a couple of videos of people who regret their transition and it's quite serious. I'm not sure that this article is comparing like-for-like when it comes to the impact of detransitioning.
Oh I had no issue. Despite not having a sub myself
(Maybe a one off trial look? Lol)
Sorry I didn’t realise it blocked you.

I mean I doubt any such study on the self reported regret of patients who underwent surgery for medical reasons will compare it to detransition. As those are two completely different subjects with their own nuances to take into consideration.

And like people who got their legs amputated due to medical necessity have also, in the past, given quite serious testimonials about their regrets.
That does not mean we shouldn’t do amputations for medical necessity.

All medicine regardless comes with a price. All medicine has potential for regret. Because we are humans, not lab rats. Scientists look for the best possible outcomes. Not 100% success rates. Science is cold and methodical. Humans are emotional creatures, bound by social conventions and moulded by their experiences.

I’m not saying we should ignore such concerns. Just that I don’t think there is enough to justify holding off treatment for others “just in case.”
It is one of those stats that, unfortunately, is seen as acceptable collateral damage. You can find this in all medical treatments, regardless
I mean do you think that just because a portion of the population has very serious adverse reactions to certain vaccines that that means the scientific community will stop using them?

To offer the flip side, consider this. There is quite a bit of frustration and depression found in those who had no choice but to detransition among the trans community. Either due to lack of access or not enough funds to facilitate ongoing treatment for gender dysphoria

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What do you think is a good “base line” minimum for surgical decisions for trans youth?

I’m asking in good faith, just to be clear.

Like gender identity is malleable enough to have some (absolutely not all) people to perhaps go from being trans to non binary over time.
(Apologies for the very sloppy phrasing, but you know what I mean)
Yeah, I understand. And honestly I am no expert with kids. I don't know if it's because I didn't get much of a childhood myself or what, but it's very difficult for me to connect to children, I more often than not do not understand them, and I am not any good at working with them.
I would have to study more of this to have any sort of properly formed opinion.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, I understand. And honestly I am no expert with kids. I don't know if it's because I didn't get much of a childhood myself or what, but it's very difficult for me to connect to children, I more often than not do not understand them, and I am not any good at working with them.
I would have to study more of this to have any sort of properly formed opinion.
Fair enough

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Those videos were likely partisan in nature. Only about 1% of those who medically transitioned regret it. And common reasons for regret include suffering from other people and lack of support.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Those against this act as if it were just the choice of the child. You and I both know that that is a strawman. Adults are heavily involved and it is not a matter that they take lightly.

And I am sure that we both agree that the last people that should be telling people what they can or cannot do with their bodies would be a bunch of political bigots that base their decision on prejudice and superstition.