• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-science

1AOA1

Democracy versus Science

Ideology- Democracy

Science- Nuclear program

Conflict- The democratic government of the United States campaigns against science by threatening to impose sanctions on North Korea if they do not halt their nuclear program.

[youtube]gaC_e_6OKMc[/youtube]
LAST STAND for North Korea REGIME as NUCLEAR tests bring PYONGYANG facing WEAPONS sanctions - YouTube

Motherhood versus Science

Ideology- Motherhood

Science- Drug experimentation

Conflict- Mother campaigns against science by hindering son's experimentation with drugs.

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...4/a-mothers-perspective-on-her-sons-addiction

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that presenting a nation sanctioning another nation for developing nuclear technology as "anti-science" is just a touch misconstrued, sir.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Democracy versus Science

Ideology- Democracy

Science- Nuclear program

Conflict- The democratic government of the United States campaigns against science by threatening to impose sanctions on North Korea if they do not halt their nuclear program.

[youtube]gaC_e_6OKMc[/youtube]
LAST STAND for North Korea REGIME as NUCLEAR tests bring PYONGYANG facing WEAPONS sanctions - YouTube

Motherhood versus Science

Ideology- Motherhood

Science- Drug experimentation

Conflict- Mother campaigns against science by hindering son's experimentation with drugs.

A Mother's Perspective on Her Son's Addiction - US News and World Report

You honestly think that the USA being against North Korea having Nuclear capabilities is "anti-science"?

And you think you will be taken seriously?

1AOA1

Quintessence "I think that presenting a nation sanctioning another nation for developing nuclear technology as "anti-science" is just a touch misconstrued, sir."

How so?

McBell

Quintessence "I think that presenting a nation sanctioning another nation for developing nuclear technology as "anti-science" is just a touch misconstrued, sir."

How so?

um...
Because the USA being against North Korea having nuclear capabilities has nothing to do with science and everything to do with politics?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

How so?

Because it's a massive red herring.

The reason why nations disincentive nuclear programs has nothing to do with wanting to be anti-science and everything to do with wanting to be "anti- making nuclear weapons that blow people up" (among other things).

Your other example is just as misconstrued. It has nothing to do with being anti-science, and everything to do with being against use and manufacture of illegal drugs.

1AOA1

Yet, that's how the "religion versus science" case is built. I'm just giving other examples along the same parameters.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yet, that's how the "religion versus science" case is built. I'm just giving other examples along the same parameters.

Okay?

In some cases, I don't disagree, but I think the arguments for occasional conflicts between specific scientific disciplines and specific religious ideas is a little bit more complex than is being accounted for here.

1AOA1

See that? For the first two examples I gave, you said the ideologies were not against science, let alone a specific scientific discipline. As soon as spirituality comes up, the conflict is between specific scientific disciplines and religion.

Alceste

Vagabond

Except that nuclear bombs aren't "science", and neither is recreational drug use. One of the most religious developed nations on earth also has the world's largest nuclear arsenal, and some religions explicitly call for the use of recreational drugs for spiritual purposes.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
See that? For the first two examples I gave, you said the ideologies were not against science, let alone a specific scientific discipline. As soon as spirituality comes up, the conflict is between specific scientific disciplines and religion.

I'm not sure you're listening to what I actually said.

That there can be (and are) conflicts between specific scientific ideas and specific concepts found in certain religions (not "religion" - CERTAIN religions and SPECIFIC IDEAS found in SPECIFIC religions) is beyond dispute. This does not mean that there are always conflicts, and there are quite a few areas where there are not or where overgeneralized blaming of "religion" is a red herring.

1AOA1

Alceste: "Except that nuclear bombs aren't "science","

Nuclear program.

"and neither is recreational drug use."

You don't actually have to be a lab rat for your drug use to be called science.

Alceste

Vagabond
Alceste: "Except that nuclear bombs aren't "science","

Nuclear program.

"and neither is recreational drug use."

You don't actually have to be a lab rat for your drug use to be called science.

The nuclear program is not science. It's geopolitics. Yes, the Manhattan Project, which invented nukes, was science - 75 years ago. The product they created is not. Think of it this way: at one point in history the pokey stick was the height of human innovation and inquiry, but we don't still call that "science" now, do we?

Lab rats and drug addicts don't do science, they do drugs. Scientists do science.

Yadon

Except that nuclear bombs aren't "science", and neither is recreational drug use. One of the most religious developed nations on earth also has the world's largest nuclear arsenal, and some religions explicitly call for the use of recreational drugs for spiritual purposes.

Um... a nitpicky thing I want to say.

Drugs used for religious or spiritual purposes are called entheogens, not recreational drugs. Saying they use recreational drugs (and while the drugs used can be used for both) kind of doesn't make an important distinction, at least where society and the law is concerned. Some religious groups get exemption to use drugs on their own land.

Alceste

Vagabond
Um... a nitpicky thing I want to say.

Drugs used for religious or spiritual purposes are called entheogens, not recreational drugs. Saying they use recreational drugs (and while the drugs used can be used for both) kind of doesn't make an important distinction, at least where society and the law is concerned. Some religious groups get exemption to use drugs on their own land.

Sure, I know. I didn't figure the guy I was talking to would know the word entheogens. I try to be accommodating. :)

1AOA1

Quintessence: "I'm not sure you're listening to what I actually said.

That there can be (and are) conflicts between specific scientific ideas"

I'm listening. Note that you first said religious ideas versus scientific disciplines. Now you say religious ideas versus scientific ideas.

"and specific concepts found in certain religions (not "religion" - CERTAIN religions and SPECIFIC IDEAS found in SPECIFIC religions"

That is not really relevant. It doesn't matter what the concept is. If it is seen as spirituality and some kind of hindrance to science, then it is an example of how religion is anti-science in the "religion versus science" case being built.

"This does not mean that there are always conflicts, and there are quite a few areas where there are not or where overgeneralized blaming of "religion" is a red herring."

We are not talking about a scenario where a "religion versus science" case is not being built. We are talking about a scenario where such a case is being built and specifically how that case is built.

McBell

Quintessence: "I'm not sure you're listening to what I actually said.

That there can be (and are) conflicts between specific scientific ideas"

I'm listening. Note that you first said religious ideas versus scientific disciplines. Now you say religious ideas versus scientific ideas.

"and specific concepts found in certain religions (not "religion" - CERTAIN religions and SPECIFIC IDEAS found in SPECIFIC religions"

That is not really relevant. It doesn't matter what the concept is. If it is seen as spirituality and some kind of hindrance to science, then it is an example of how religion is anti-science in the "religion versus science" case being built.

"This does not mean that there are always conflicts, and there are quite a few areas where there are not or where overgeneralized blaming of "religion" is a red herring."

We are not talking about a scenario where a "religion versus science" case is not being built. We are talking about a scenario where such a case is being built and specifically how that case is built.

Do you have any actual examples?

Since neither example in the OP have anything to do with science or religion...