• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another thread on Siddhis

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't disbelieve in them, because there are too many things we don't understand. Maybe it can be explained as Arthur C. Clarke said "magic is just science we don't understand yet". Not to say that siddhis are 'magic' in the common usage, but if it exists, it's definitely some ability we don't understand and can't currently explain.

Stormcry

A blind Man can say Sun doesn't exist. A frog in the pond can't ever imagine or believe in the sea..but the essential nature of the truth is that it always shines even if someone doesn't believe in it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But what if you could heal people? Wouldn´t that be something you should try to focus on then?
Would that not be unauthorized action, interfering in somebody's karmas?
EDIT: I can understand criticism and skepticism of Siddhi in non-Hindu DIRs ... but in the Hindu DIR ?
Because Hinduism (apart from Buddhism) permits search for truth. One would not do it in Islam.

Last edited:

Stormcry

Would that not be unauthorized action, interfering in somebody's karmas?

Then it's their fruit of karma itself that they're healed. Prakruti doesn't give even little bit more sorrow or more joy, thas has been fixed for this life by Vidhata. This happens due to bad or good karma. If someone is saved by another, then it's none other his previous life's virtue.

Speaking clearly, no one can interfere in Karma. Even Ishwara can't. All Jiva are being moved by Prakriti or Maya.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Does my artistic talent count as a Siddhi if very few other people share it?
Yes, artistic talent is a 'siddhi'. It does not come to all people. 'Siddha' means one who has achieved something. If I answer a mathematics question, I say 'siddha', done, answered, proved, QED. You may be an art siddha, I may be a analyzing siddha :). Etc.

atanu

Premium Member
The world is only a play of the highest Siddha .. transforming consciousness into many hued world of objects, without effecting any change in the source consciousness.

For us, the following may explain the topic:

An academician perspective:

Are yogic siddhis real? | Rohini Bakshi - Academia.edu

Spiritual perspective based on scripture and experience

Yoga Sutras of Patanjali « Vedakalpataru
SIDDHIS OR SUPER NATURAL POWERS

A siddhi is an achievement of super natural powers by the aspirant when he/she reaches the level of Saṁprajñāta Samādhi. The citta is like a crystal which reflects whatever is presented to it without adding or removing from the object. (I-41)

When the Yogi reaches one pointed ness he goes beyond all the aspects of change of Prakrti or basic stuff of the universe. Once a Yogi understands Prakrti completely, he can change it by mere act of thought or will into any form.

Siddhis or achievements can be classified as,
Siddhis belonging to the Perceptible,
Siddhis belonging to Perception,
Siddhis belonging to Perceiver and
Fourth, the highest perfection that is associated with Asaṁprajñāta Samādhi.
It is a popular belief that there are eight siddhis that belong to the Perceptible.

The eight siddhis are

Aṇima or reducing the body to the size of an atom,
Mahima or inflating the body to any size,
Lahima or making the body light to the extent of floating in the air,
Gharima or making the body heavy,
Prākāmya or irresistible will that can extend to any object,
Īśhatva or supremacy or lordship, the power of controlling the operation of elements,
Vaśitva or independence, ability to retard the power of elements without being influenced by them and
Kāmāvasāyita or fulfillment of desires, the power to turn even poison into nectar.

WARNING ON THE USE OF SIDDHIS:

Although Patañjali mentions the occurrence of different siddhis in the third chapter, he is very particular about warning the aspirant not to be distracted by the Siddhis.
The siddhis become great obstacles for reaching final goal of Yoga, Asaṁprajñāta Samādhi. Patañjali warns that siddhis are not the aim of Yoga.
Siddhis are likely to tempt the aspirant by powers and pride of one’s achievement. He says that the aspirant may be tempted even by gods to prevent him from reaching his goal. Steadfastness is the only way and should not even develop the ego that he is beyond such temptations.
States similar to Samādhi can be gained by various other means like drugs but they are not to be pursued.

And

Powers that Accrue in the Practice - The Study and Practice of Yoga - Chapter 96