• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another thread on Siddhis

Maya3

I was inspired by Vinayaka´s thread and he gave his blessing to start a new one.

Do you believe in them?

If you do, do you think it is good to try to develop them?
If someone has them, should they use them? Or would they be too hard to control?

Maya

Stormcry

PranAm MAyA...

I was inspired by Vinayaka´s thread and he gave his blessing to start a new one.

Do you believe in them?

If someone has them, should they use them? Or would they be too hard to control?

Maya

Who are we to argue on Sidhhi? Are we yogi ir realized? :) All are mentioned in Scriptures and if someone believes in scriptures he's surely believer of Siddhis. Siddhis are attainable for those who are completely situated in Sattva Guna and in this Kaliyuga such Sattvik Person is very very rare.

Yogis attain Siddhis. They're primarily 18 types of Siddhis. 8 out of them are attained while meditating on Nirguna Brahman or Ishwara and other 10 are attained after developing Sattva Guna in the body. There are four reasons by which someone attains Siddhis: 1) Birth ( Sattvik )
2) Herbals
3) Tapa
4) Mantra

But such Siddhis are many times barrier for attainment of Brahman as they can incure pride in the Sadhaka/Yogi. Yogi should not ever forget the true destination of Yoga is Brahman alone. Who forgets this gets fall down.

BTW, Lord of All Siddhis is Bhagavan Ganesha, ruler of Muladhara Chakra.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Do you believe in them?

Yes. The quantity an quality of the reports are too impressive to dismiss. In fact it's almost impossible for me to believe they don't exist.

No, it's not good for us to develop them. They are a distraction from our real purpose; Self-Realization.

I think they should only be used by Avatars and the highest masters who have the wisdom for their use.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
While there are many things in life we can not explain, I tend to be skeptical when it is claimed that some people have a special/specific power or ability of sorts.

Stormcry

It's good for those who wanna become a superhuman. :D But remember superpower comes with dangers. Here's danger of Pride. Know that acquiring such Siddhis is very very difficult. I think it's not in the scope of common people.

If someone has them, should they use them?

Yes, they can use them if they want. After all it's a sweet fruit of Tapa.

would they be too hard to control?

They can be controlled by siddhi itself :D. There's a "Va****a" named Siddhi in which mind can be set aloof even in the enjoining of the desires. :)

Hari Narayana ♥

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you believe in them? If you do, do you think it is good to try to develop them? If someone has them, should they use them? Or would they be too hard to control?
Sorry, Maya. I do not believe in them. Therefore, no use trying, waste of time, attempts cause psychological problems. Nobody has them, they only have sleight of hands, tricks. The question of controlling them does not arise.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
While there are many things in life we can not explain, I tend to be skeptical when it is claimed that some people have a special/specific power or ability of sorts.

I think any mystical event and belief is just related to experience. In the old days, if the Inuit went south and tried to explain the northern lights, most likely people wouldn't believe them. Nowadays, because of cameras, most everyone will believe.

So if someone says they saw a vision, who are we to say they didn't? It's not something that's provable, or not. However, if someone says they can predict the future, or move objects, or levitate ... well those external things are different, because a person can be challenged to demonstrate. We all know how many future predictors (like doomsday one) have failed miserably.

So on a personal level, I have difficulty with anyone making broad claims like "Im an avatar," or "I'm self-realised' or 'I can do this or that."

In my experience and sampradaya, individuals don't generally make such claims. So I agree with your skepticism ... unless I've experienced it personally.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Siddhis are true, many Saints who exercised them properly (in a balance to avoid pride and followers) with good result. For example, no doubt Trailinga Swami had such siddhi ability. He lived for 300 years and is a modern example of a yogi. Think about the examples of the divine such as Hanuman.

There is a Saiva sect that utilizes siddhi powers for the benefit of others. But they are also very reclusive and exclusive in practice and initiation. And for good reason. I avoid giving them exposure they do not seek.

There are aspects of elements but not dangerous to the ego aspects of siddhis used by more well known sects. But dangerous is only relative to the mindset behind the tool.

Om Namah Sivaya

Last edited:

Stormcry

Nobody has them

This is just an ignorance about life of yogis and sant.

A Maharashtrian Brahmana, topmost vaishnawa yogi, Sant Dnyaneshvar, 14 years old, used his Yoga-Siddhi by making the Buffalo recite the Veda. He intentionally did this to remove the pride of Vaidik Brahmanas who were thinking themselves superior as they're the only ones to recite veda and knower of veda even if they were disobeying veda

Last edited:

Maya3

I have mixed feelings about this.
I´m both very skeptical and have somewhat of a belief in them.

If people can have them, I think I agree that you should not try to strengthen them but let them come naturally.
But what if you could heal people? Wouldn´t that be something you should try to focus on then?

Maya

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
EDIT: I can understand criticism and skepticism of Siddhi in non-Hindu DIRs ... but in the Hindu DIR ?

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Do you believe in them?

As I posted in Vinayaka's thread my wife sees auras and has since childhood. This comes naturally to her, and see takes it for granted. She also has experienced other supernal episodes such as past life awareness and communicating with other souls in what she calls 'the Vortex'. These experiences are in no way frightening or threatening, they are completely natural. But, like you hinted, what does she do with them? By any means it keeps life interesting.

Just for reference, we will have been together for forty years next month ( and, yes, she's a little psychic so I have to be careful what I think.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why do you have to believe them if you are Hindu?

Maya

For most Hindus, it's a given, just like reincarnation and karma. This does vary in degrees though, even amongst Hindus. Of course there are many Hindus who don't believe in ahimsa, reincarnation, karma, or many other concepts considered quite basic. So my guess is that is what Poeticus is saying, although I can't speak for him.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
This may sound stupid, but can we get an exact definition of Siddhis? Are they "magical powers"? Mystical gifts? What role to they play in Hinduism? How would having any of them change my relationship with fellow human being/God? Are Siddhis developed over time by particularly enlightened people? Or are people born with "natural talent". Does my artistic talent count as a Siddhi if very few other people share it? If so, what am I supposed to do with that information? (I know it's a lot of questions but it's all occuring to me at the moment)

On a very basic and unimpressive level I believe in the power of intuition. It's not something that can be scientifically measured really. It's just a feeling. That being said, I don't try to convince others that my intuition makes me special or that they should follow my lead because I have a gut feeling. My intuition is for me alone to act upon, right or wrong.

:camp:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
From the lexicon of Dancing with Siva:

"Power, accomplishment. perfection. - Extraordinary powers of the soul, developed through consistent meditation and deliberate, gruelling ofter uncomfortable tapas, or awakened naturally through spiritual maturity and yogic sadhana.

Thee is more, but that's the gist. There is also quite a bit about it being an obstacle to self-realisation, because it focuses on I-ness.

Of course definitions may vary.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
From the lexicon of Dancing with Siva:

"Power, accomplishment. perfection. - Extraordinary powers of the soul, developed through consistent meditation and deliberate, gruelling ofter uncomfortable tapas, or awakened naturally through spiritual maturity and yogic sadhana.

Thee is more, but that's the gist. There is also quite a bit about it being an obstacle to self-realisation, because it focuses on I-ness.

Of course definitions may vary.

Yes ... Refinement. If one word were to characterize not only Siddhi but the historical and spiritual natures of Hinduism overall ... it'd be refinement.

Kalidas

I believe in a good many things. As stated in the last thread I don't believe in "magic" just science we don't know yet. This doesn't mean I don't think such things exist (they might) but maybe they are not what they appear to be? Or maybe they are EXACTLY as they appear to be? There is so much in this universe that we don't know yet, there is so much to be learned and to be seen. Maybe some people have just unlocked secrets most others have not and are using their new found information?

This does not mean I don't believe in mysticism, because everything is Brahman. So to me scientific and mystic are the same really. If I went back in time and showed ancient people the power of gunpowder I would be called a wizard (and probably burned at a stake). This does not diminish the strength gunpowder possesses, it just means now we understand it.

Now I agree with everyone trying to develop them sounds like a general bad idea,unless you already have them and under the strict guidelines of a guru.